Viewing 40 posts - 34,521 through 34,560 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

I’m sure this has been covered, but Hammond is now under fire for not thinking enough positive thoughts, or making enough positive sounding statements.

Also seems he’s “coopted the CBI, parts of the City and, it seems, the Treasury”. Well. At least he’s been busy.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/08/conservative-brexiters-turn-fire-philip-hammonds-treasury-sack-chancellor

igm

Trying to remove the grownups from the room.

binners

I clicked on the link to Bernhard Jenkins article. It started with the line

There is no intrinsic reason why Brexit should be difficult or damaging

I don’t think I’ll bother reading any more of it, as he clearly has less of an understanding of reality than a 2 year old

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think we can safely file that with the others then, no room for you reality sorts in here. Positive Mental Attitude and all that

zokes
    Free Member

I am sure it will be a step up from zokes!

Don’t like home truths do you, Tmh?

tjagain

So – they continue to flounder. apparently ( from Maybot) the ball is in their court now. What utter piffle. She is trying to frame the debate in such a way that the EU are seen as the intransigent ones. Well most of us can see thru this. No progress on the NI border, a laughably inadequate offer on our continuing commitments and a disgustingly poor offer on EU citizens rights.

And still the tories can’t even get a united front on the negotiating positions

zokes
    Free Member

She is trying to frame the debate in such a way that the EU are seen as the intransigent ones.

I’ll agree with tmh that the EU may be being intransigent, but at least they’re not incompetent

tjagain

I don’t see the EU as intransigent at all. Merely looking after their interests. They have been consistent and reasonable right from the start.

In what way do you see the EU as intransigent?

zokes
    Free Member

Mainly in that they’re driving a hard bargain by looking after their interests. Quite understandable, and predictable, but it’s also intransigence.

tjagain

Nope – its not. Its just negotiating. Why should they make things worse for themselves to ease our way? No way are they going to lose out so the UK can gain.

Its not the EU that have gone missing at the negotiations, its not the EU that are unprepared, its not the EU being inconsistent, its not the EU that don’t have a unified agreed position

zokes
    Free Member

You’re doing a remarkable job of arguing with someone who is in agreement with you 🙄

Definition of intransigent

1) characterised by refusal to compromise or to abandon an often extreme position or attitude

2) uncompromising: intransigent in their opposition

kimbers

They are being intransigent, only in that they are expecting the UK to follow the schedule we signed up to, Davis just wasting months whining about trade deal 1st

chestrockwell

The Tories quite clearly still think the EU mob are playing poker and at some point will say “Go on then, we’ll give you whatever you want”. They really don’t understand that they hold no cards do they?

It would be hilarious if it wasn’t going to be so damaging.

binners

Intransigence? If you want to see Intransigence then the Tory conference was the place to be last week. I caught footage of some fringe meeting or other. I think its was Bill Cash or one of the other foaming-at-the-mouth fruitloop Tory MPs. It was the ramblings of a madman. His proposal was that we basically tell the EU fo eff off, send all the immigrants back, crash out of the single market and customs union and carry on on WTO terms.

In normal circumstances, you’d just laugh at this lunacy and suggest their doctor ups their medication, but May is so weak that she has to pacify these headcases

It is not going to end well

tjagain

The EU position is not extreme tho. Its moderate, proportionate and reasonable. thus its not intransigence to stick to it. I actually think they have been far more helpful than they might have been and much more flexible

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

Reasonable Europeans
    Intransigent Brits

We really have swallowed their narrative hook, line and sinker

😀

zokes
    Free Member

Are you struggling to read, TJ?

I even underlined the relevant bit. In any case, the first definition says “often”, which is not a synonym for “always”.

Words in having more than one meaning shocker….

binners

So who’s the EU’s equivalent of Bill Cash then Hurty?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Binners the headcases feed the news, behind the scenes the grown ups are moving forward albeit slowly and as usually business is being proactive

Papers don’t sell if they stick to the dull underlying truth

zokes
    Free Member

We really have swallowed their narrative hook, line and sinker

Nope, just being pragmatic realists.

Not that it matters anyway, with your clowns in charge we’d be lucky to negotiate a discount at a second hand car dealer.

tjagain

zokes – I don’t think the EUs position fits those criteria at all. Its just opinion tho

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

WTF has a has-been like Cash got to do with things? He’s just background noise

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Who are my clowns?

zokes
    Free Member

Its just opinion tho

Edinburgh defence v2.0? 😉

zokes
    Free Member

Who are my clowns?

Unless you’ve changed your spots even more remarkably than you did about Brexit, I believe you’re usually found in support of the Tories, no?

I’ll leave you to work out the rest…

tjagain

Awa’ and shite 😉

Davies hasn’t even bothered to turn up today

Asked about the absence of the Brexit secretary, David Davis, from the first day of the fifth round of negotiations starting on Monday, the spokesman added: “The European commission article 50 team is available 24/7. The timing of talks depends on the availability of our UK partners. We are always here and we are ready.”

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Eu negotiate – well done, perfectly understandable
    UK negotiate – boo hiss, indefensible

With enemies like this, who needs friends?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Papers don’t sell if they stick to the dull underlying truth

and the BBC?
    What about the stuff from the British Retail Consortium?
    Seems fairly legit doesn’t it, concerns not being addressed there are they, uncertainty is causing them big problems (one of the 3 key things that the EU want sorted first).
    Imagine if you went into negotiations, agreed a timetable then decided you those questions were too hard and you didn’t want to admit you have no answers – in business the deal would be off an you would be going past reception for the last time.
    Anyway glad you have your union jack shorts on and the flag going up the pole as we speak.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

FFS we essentially know what is happening with Eu nationals

Sturgeon – remember her? – was even offering to pay the £65 for those working in the public sector as a sign of tartan hoodwill

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

UK government currently playing a toddler screaming “it’s not fair” very well indeed. It’s ok though, plenty of Mitty quitlings telling us that things are going smoothly behind the scenes. 😆

“The ball’s in your court.”
    (Please sort out our internal party crisis for us.)

Have the ground workers started widening the roads at Irish border crossings yet?

zokes
    Free Member

What is?

Then what’s happening with the border?

And what are we doing about the bill?

No answers on those, no trade deal. Remarkably simple concept to grasp, one would have thought.

tjagain

teamhurtmore – Member

really? I know I shouldn’t engage with you but this is utter nonsense. ther have been proposals from the tories immediately contradicted by other tories and no suggestions are in any way close to what would be satisfactory to the EU and the tories proposals if reciprocated would =mean huge issues for all those brits living in the EU

So go on – I’ll open another post of yours. What is the position on EU nationals living in the UK. Will they have to have id cards or not? Will they have to apply for right to remain or not? Will they be eligible for NHS care or not? Will they be eligible for benefits or not?

All thoses issues have recent contradictions from the tories

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

plenty of Mitty quitlings

You imaginative choice of phrase is getting more developed and enjoyable to read. More subtle than the studs on the shin too! Bravo! 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Zokes, TJ – May’s announcement is there for anyone to read

It even made the headlines and cause quite a stir.

tjagain

THM – yes and is a part of the contradictory briefings. Will EU nationals Need ID cards? One tory says yes, another no. Also it is simply nothing like good enough an offer – if reciprocated it would mean huge issues for the million UK nationals in the EU

I knew it would be pointless. Bloocker back on

kelvin

Even in May’s warm words, it is clear that EU non UK Citizens will neither keep their existing rights, nor be treated the same as UK Citizens. Digging into the position papers doesn’t make it at all clear where that erosion of rights ends, or how different life in the UK will be for rEU nationals compared to UK nationals.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

That will depend on the negotiations won’t it. Good for her for protecting UK interests

Shucks TJ miss you already. 😉

tjagain

Is this the position?
    He ( labour MEP) says in particular that the mandatory nature of the British requirement for 3.2 million EU nationals in Britain to apply for biometric ID residence documents declaring their “settled status” is likely to face tough opposition from the EU’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier.

Or is it this?
    It read: “The Home Office has confirmed … its position that EU citizens will not have to have comprehensive sickness insurance [private health insurance], will not have to meet an income threshold, will not have to submit fingerprints; will not be issued with an ID card.”

so which is it?

settled position?

Those joining after Brexit will be subject to the new immigration rules. The Home Office document says a range of options is being considered on how EU migration will work “for new arrivals post-Brexit” and proposals will be published as soon as possible.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    That will depend on the negotiations won’t it. Good for her for protecting UK interests

at the expense of what?

Viewing 40 posts - 34,521 through 34,560 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.