Viewing 40 posts - 34,361 through 34,400 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41511790

Brexit putting the Royal Marines out of a job.

I wonder if the brexshitters envisaged this.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Some great lateral thinking there Tom

kimbers

Davis send to think that he can negotiate a specific trade deal just with Germany

(1/3) Post #Brexit a UK-German deal would include free access for their cars and industrial goods, in exchange for a deal on everything else

https://twitter.com/DavidDavisMP/status/735770127564607489

Is he lying to upset the EU or pandering to the swivel eyed?
    Or just bonkers?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DrJ

We too we are preparing to lose at least 10% of our turnover.
    Yes, very interesting.
    Honestly we can’t wait to let the lion roar and deal with the needless shit storm coming our way.

But, but, but – think of all the interesting work it will create for those who are out of the firing line!

kelvin

when does the remit of the EU referendum run out?

[quote]Rhetorical question.[/quote]

Some possible answers for you…

– only if the result of a subsequent referendum rescinds it before we have left
    – until the next general election
    – until the first general election after the referendum (why should a referendum bind future governments?)
    – only if a government is formed before we Leave that wants us to remain
    – when whoever is currently PM says so
    – when both parliaments vote for a change or to ask the public via a referendum
    – the very day we are no longer a member of the EU (even if we are entering a transition period)
    – the day we have deemed to have left the Single Market and/or Customs Union
    – a period of time equivalent to a normal parliamentary session
    – a period of time equivalent to the current parliamentary session
    – a “generation”
    – as long as the 1975 referendum
    – after we have left, but in transition, and a new government wants to renegotiate membership
    – after transition is over, and a new government wants to renegotiate membership
    – when public opinion has turned against Leaving
    – when it is clear that Leaving will not take the form voters were led to expect
    – only if a “rejoin” referendum is won by a simple majority
    – only if a “rejoin” referendum is won by a super majority

mrmo
    Free Member

brexshit is a f****** stupid idea, and most businesses will be making plans to deal with the fall out. I am still wondering what happens when the sunny uplands don’t emerge. What happens when the US decides that we will have chlorine chicken, when farmers go bust because they can’t survive in a free trade environment.

Details like what the customs post March 2019 will look like and what happens when people and goods are faced with hours in transit getting through. What will be the reaction if BMW relocates Mini production or Vauxhall at Ellesmere Port gets shut down, to keep the supply chains working. etc.

Will people just have another pint of beer and carry on watching X factor. Or will they wonder why things aren’t getting better.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am still wondering what happens when the sunny uplands don’t emerge.

1. We blame the EU for not giving u a fair deal – as if free access without paying and without the 4 freedoms was ever an achievable or realistic goal

2. We blame others ” for doing britain down”

We certainly wont be blaming the people who voted for this or the people who lied to get the vote.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m aware of people preparing too, THM. The UK used to be the favourite destination for a “séjour linguistique” or “voyage pédagogique”. Madame has taken kids to the UK for the last 16 years but will be visiting Strasbourg and Germany next.

The last trip to England had a Brexit flavour with a dreadful welcome from some families. The brochure of one company she works with now reads roughly “the quality of welcome in families is sometimes limited to the minimum”, they recommend youth hostels instead.

The brochure which used to be mainly the UK now has more trips to European neighbours.

Generations of European kids have been given a positive view of the UK and a chance to visit. Brexit is changing that.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m doing a week’s work for a French company next week. I’ve spent £0 and 0 minutes on paperwork.

Edukator
    Free Member

Sabadell bank has just announced it’s quitting Barcelona because of the uncertainty over the future of the province. Think about that.

cchris2lou

Caixabank too .

edit : and they are not the only ones . lots of small firms have done it too .

gowerboy

Ordered some niche bikepacking jubilee clips from the USA. They cost about £25. Got a customs slip through the door today. Need to pay £12 including a £8 handling fee to get them out of the post office.

Is this what Brexit is going to be like for everything we buy from Europe? The whole bloody thing depresses me.

cchris2lou

you cant put a price on taking back control . and remember it is going to fund the nhs ………

mickmcd
    Free Member

Ordered some niche bikepacking jubilee clips from the USA. They cost about £25. Got a customs slip through the door today. Need to pay £12 including a £8 handling fee to get them out of the post office.

Is this what Brexit is going to be like for everything we buy from Europe? The whole bloody thing depresses me.

No because we will be making things in Britain won’t way as part of the isolationism, we are ace at making shit

igm

I assume rumours of Theresa May setting up a future trade deal with North Korea aren’t true.

Anyone know?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

some great lateral thinking there

Did you not read the bit about foreign purchases rising significantly in cost… eg all those big ticket items like F35s, Apache AH64Es, TLAMs etc etc thanks to Brexshit?

This is inevitable because tge military was already having a hard time balancing manpower vs equipment commitments.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*Double post

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Get ready for more US-style megafarms. We already have about 800. But It’s OK because Gove says it’s not happening.

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/stories/2017-07-21/michael-gove-intensive-farming-defra

Let’s ask the Telegraph readers. There is 1 comment on this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/pets/news-features/does-uk-really-want-mega-farms/

Or do we ask the Guardian readers? There are 946 comments on this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/18/rise-of-mega-farms-how-the-us-model-of-intensive-farming-is-invading-the-world

kimbers

So France & Germany have said that there can be no transition until the exit bill is settled.

It’s almost as if the schedule that Davis signed up to on day 1 is actually a schedule he has to stick to, rather than wasting time & effort trying to speak to EU states behind Barnier’s back he should just get on with the job in hand.

Junkyard
    Free Member

TBH I think the EU is a being a tad unrealistic perhaps even Bullying as the RW press would call it.

Its blindingly obvious that how generous we will be with payments is related to how generous they are with access and the two are intrinsically linked.
    Its like a divorce you wont be massively generous if you dont have access to your kids …you will just be as arsey as they are

The EU know this which is why they want a generous settlement for us – the idea we should pay for the budgets even if we are not part of them is frankly nuts.

the more this goes on the more I think the criteria exists simply to prevent any deal occuring.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So France & Germany have said that there can be no transition until the exit bill is settled.

It’s almost as if….

They are deliberately blocking the proper negotiations

And we, our press, and remoaners are on THER side. Remarkable 😯

thecaptain
    Free Member

Even more remarkably, some people still think we should press on with the process. Meanwhile we’ve got a placeholder PM with no mandate, no support in the HoC, and no chance of getting any agreement through the legislative process.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Indeed our two main parties captain who dominate the vote. Remarkable isn’t it?

Still some stay in denial and would rather ensure that our hand is weak. Remar…..

The next thing will be people who like the EU and it’s laws will be objecting to ensuring we have them in place on day 1. Rema….

DrJ

I don’t see anyone “on their side”. We dealt them a hand full of aces and they are playing them in the obvious way.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Only if they mistake the joker for the ace. Sensible Europeans know the dangers of a hard Brexshit and are as scared of it as we are. Unfortunately there is the project snd it’s lack of integrity in the way

Who dealt the cards Doc?

Junkyard
    Free Member

we, our press, and remoaners are on THER side.

Aye the DM and the express and the Sun have been steadfast in their support for remain and the German/French/EU position

What a very accurate description that was and no one could deny that.

What exactly woudl constitute strengtheing our position – an election mandate, a united party etc

the reality is the country is divided on the issue. heck even leavers are divided on what they want to achieve so division is inevitable.
    I suggest you learn to deal with this as the country is never going to speak with one voice on this issue.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Sensible Europeans

Everyone who agrees with me is sensible
    #smugpolitcalstatements

thecaptain
    Free Member

Sensible Europeans are getting on with European things. Brexit is just a minor annoyance for them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Like the Catalans and the German auto makers ?

Minor !!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think they realise the EU position is to protect the EU so they are just not expecting a deal and neither should we. They want the Uk to suffer afterwards so that the “debate ” about being better off out than in has a very clear and obvious answer. It was always going to be this

Business may want free trade but politicians are looking for political solutions and there are none as there is no will on the part of the Eu to deal. We all knew this before we voted so the dream of being out the EU but in the market was anything but “sensible”.

Edukator
    Free Member

Scared! I’m terrified. Could someone explain exactly what it is I’m to fear?

So far I’ve learned that the EU institutions will be repatriating jobs, banks will be relocating personelle here, the European trading platforms will be more active, manufacturers will be sourcing more from the continent, foreign investors will no longer be attracted to Britain and likely to invest in the EU, the EU will get a windfall payment and then regular payments for market access, the US will establish direct ties with the EU rather than using Britain as a proxy.

You see there’s spin on both sides and both are trying to make a bad thing look good.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

kelvin

Heads of all rEU counties said this before we even triggered A50. If our press is too blinkered, and our populous too, well, yes, stupid, to not realise this, then we have the government, and negotiators we deserve. Repeating and reaffirming the day one position of the EU is not news. The only news is that “they need us more than they we need them” still isn’t understood to be bullshit by so many people in the UK. Still! Crazy.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Exactly they are controlling the narrative and the process. To coin a phrase we need to take some control otherwise it WILL be bad

kelvin

When we triggered A50. We gave them full control. End of. Still hasn’t dawned on most though.

kelvin

Sorry for calling such a big proportion of the UK populous “stupid”, but, with so much time passed, and so many opportunities to wake up and see the world as it is, “misled” or “uninformed” is no longer strong enough. I argued against those calling huge swaths of Leave voters “stupid”, but I think time is proving me wrong. Utterly depressing.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Only if we chose to

DrJ

we need to take some control

Meaning what, in concrete terms?

Junkyard
    Free Member

the EU will get a windfall payment

The EU expects a windfall payment

the likelyhood of the UK paying one when getting “shafted”* is not high

* By which i mean paying a budget to an organisation we no longer have access to

I wont be saying my gym membership for 2 years when i cancel without being allowed to use it and its daft of the EU to think anyone will accept this

The ECJ is another example no nation is going to let a “foreign court” rule over it and allow immigrants to have greater rights than natives
    I assume the EU also know this and its a deliberate line to avoid a deal

The more it goes on the more i see two sides who are either so far apart that a deal is impossible of they have deliberately drawn lines in the sand to make sure no deal is possible.

I dont see why parallel talks [ trade and money and people] is such a daft idea

cornholio98
    Free Member

So what is it that we have that the EU needs?

Unless we sign up and pay in our banking services won’t be accessible
    Ok we are a market for cars and for food stuffs but as I understand it we will still need to eat so for the short term at least we will probably keep our supply chain the same for food. For cars I thought the money market was China. That the fact Vauxhall could not compete there as gm wanted to push the Chevrolet brand was why the company was failing.
    Everything I buy seems to come from China…

So the next thing is what goods are we exporting that cannot ever be made in Europe or elsewhere by someone with a bit of entrepreneurial spirit. If it is the service industry that’s just moving people so really easy.

Honestly I am not trying to have a dig I want to know so I can try to future proof myself. I know the company I work for is closing uk offices and plants and consolidating to Germany and Romania.

Viewing 40 posts - 34,361 through 34,400 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.