Viewing 40 posts - 76,601 through 76,640 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • kimbers

“… of what,” remains rather more elusive, however.

big bens bongs?

Cougar

That’s easy for you to say.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Come on everyone, we have to move the debate on. Stop focusing on the past, I mean, who ever mentioned trade deals in the context of Brexit anyway?

finishthat
    Free Member

The vision of Quasimodo(Mark Francois) swinging from the hands of big ben whilst flinging £500,000 in tenners to the adoring crown below as the bell is struck on the eve of the 31st must keep them all going.

kelvin

Stop focusing on the past, I mean, who ever mentioned trade deals in the context of Brexit anyway?

So… Foxy wants to focus on the stuff the government and exporters can do, whether we are in the EU or not… to move the debate away from pros/cons of Brexit as regards exporting… now that Brexit can’t be avoided… I can’t imagine why.

Northwind

Shackleton

Subscriber

I thought that all brexit supporting parties got <50% combined?

Yep, but first past the post so that doesn’t count.

Poopscoop

How the hell does Fox even manage to dress himself in the morning?

dudeofdoom

The vision of Quasimodo(Mark Francois) swinging from the hands of big ben whilst flinging £500,000 in tenners to the adoring crown below as the bell is struck on the eve of the 31st must keep them all going.

Tbh they need a bell for it so a Brexit plus is we’ve got plenty of Brexit bell-ends in parliament.

dudeofdoom

I do think we need to create a singletrack brexit swingometer to actually track how well Brexit is doing for us joe publics.

Not sure how we quantify the values but I’d like to see a simple indicator of whether it’s improving our lives or not.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I don’t need a swingometer to know we are feeling the pinch, pretty much everything is going up quicker than wages, especially in the last ~12 months. It feels like ~2008 again, except this time, money is getting too tight to mention and now we are both working part time rather than just me.

ferrals
    Free Member

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-10/-170-billion-and-counting-the-cost-of-brexit-for-the-u-k

According to Business Insider this is more than we paid to the EU over the last 40 years.

It also doesnt seem to include the money actually spent on the various deal – no deal planning etc.

mrchrispy

They have a 4 year window to demo the benefit of a sun lit uplands.
    I’m looking forward to watching them try, fail and then squirm out of it blaming everyone else but them selves. Any half decent opposition should be able to wipe the floor with the Tory over lords.

just need to find a half decent opposition now :-/

dudeofdoom

Are they actually even now saying we’re having sun lit uplands?

kimbers

nah theyll just tell every one its great and because the Sun/ Daily Mail/Telegraph says so they will believe it

binners

Any news on the Big Ben bongs?

Apparently, well… according to diminutive dimwit Mark Francois, its the most important issue presently facing the UK

Edukator
    Free Member

Toyota has chosen France for it’s next European investments (a hybrid plant) according to TF1 a few seconds ago. 400 new jobs.

molgrips
    Free Member

Any half decent opposition should be able to wipe the floor with the Tory over lords.

What you’re forgetting is that lots of people WANT to believe the Brexit fantasy. People saying ‘a good opposition should wipe the floor with the Tories’ is assuming that people will listen to rational arguments. They don’t.

Edukator
    Free Member

And Astrazenica (British-Swedish consortium) opens it’s new Dunkirk plant plant. The decisions were made in 2016, obviously a coincidence (not). How’s that for Dunkirk spirit ! Negotiating that financial passport is going to be the easiest deal in history… .

AstraZeneca’s EUR 135 Million Investment in France

That’s an old article, according to the news they’re investing again.

Northwind

molgrips

Subscriber

What you’re forgetting is that lots of people WANT to believe the Brexit fantasy

Very well reminded

crazy-legs

The 66% Leave voting area of Sittingbourne has just taken back control.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/sittingbourne/news/up-to-300-jobs-at-risk-as-factory-closes-220084/

Found a similar article linked somewhere else – just sort of scrolled past it – about Vauxhall being very concerned about the future of their Ellesmere Port plant. Can’t find it again though.

crazy-legs

Any news on the Big Ben bongs?

Apparently, well… according to diminutive dimwit Mark Francois, its the most important issue presently facing the UK

Classic distraction techniques, kindly done by The Sun & Daily Wail on behalf of the Government. Make big nationalistic noise over here! Ignore failing businesses over there!

PrinceJohn

A Twitter thread listing all the Brexit benefits so far…

PrinceJohn

One good thing about Brexit – these national embarrassments won’t be able to embarrass us here.

Edukator
    Free Member

Alex taylor used to have regular slot on Europe 1 in the morning, he disappeared for a while but is back on slightly later and too late for me to hear him regularly. Always worth listening to. He used to play the stereotypical Brit but has become more and more European.

Flaperon

The government says it will use the “significant moment in our history” to “heal divisions, re-unite communities and look forward to the country that we want to build over the next decade.”

I’m damned if I’m reuniting with the shallow-minded, xenophobic, work-shy racists that clamoured for the thing in the first place.

BoardinBob

Nothing to stop them now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51157933

We’re going to become a hellish place to work.

**** brexit and **** anyone that voted for it

reluctantjumper

Direct quote from the Guardian:

“There will not be alignment, we will not be a rule taker, we will not be in the single market and we will not be in the customs union – and we will do this by the end of the year,” Javid said.

“We’re … talking about companies that have known since 2016 that we are leaving the EU.”

The bloke is a complete and utter moron. Businesses have known we were due to leave but not when, how or under what rules! They still don’t know now, how can they plan for something that has no definition?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

The bald **** must be smoking crack – we’re in the mid-late cycle before the next recession. There’s no **** way we will achieve 2.5 percent growth whilst screwing over industry.

spekkie
    Free Member

“how can they plan for something that has no definition?”

How can anyone vote for something that has no definition? But they did.
    How can a government implement something that has no definition? But they will.

Just do it! (As Nike would say)

fadda

The chancellor also said he wanted to double the UK’s annual economic growth to between 2.7 and 2.8%.

This should be made as publicly visible as possible, so that people remember it when we can see what the reality actually is…

Oh, and as for:

He used Japan’s car industry as an example of a manufacturing sector which found success without following EU rules

FFS….

dudeofdoom

He used Japan’s car industry as an example of a manufacturing sector which found success without following EU rules

I think he’s deliberately conflagurating rules and regulations but to what end I don’t get.

He can tell it to the 3,500 Honda workers in Swindon then who are out on their asses in 2021. I’m sure they’ll be happy to learn of it.

kelvin

Useful thread on this:

I quite enjoyed:

tjagain

If we do not have alignment with EU regs then we cannot sell into the EU? Financial services are going to be shafted as well.

fatmountain
    Free Member

Can anyone tell about any good news about Brexit? I stopped reading news a year ago because it was depressing me too much and the level of debate was mindbendingly low. In fact, some of the ignorance was staggering. No surprises to see it’s going from had to worse.

AD

Hmmm – the Brexit cheerleaders seem to be missing from this thread… I’m sure they’ll be along shortly.

A TJ says if you don’t follow the rules you simply won’t be able to sell your products/services. I’d like to think the chancellor understands this but then again who knows.

On the plus side apparently the cabinet are having a meeting in ‘the North’ at end of month – I hope they pick Workington ‘spoons.

reluctantjumper

No, they voted for it based on lies, fake promises (that are being destroyed on a near-daily basis. See kelvin’s Twitter link above) and misinformation.

How can a government implement something that has no definition? But they will.

Even they don’t know what they’re implementing! They are genuinely making stuff up to fit their ideas on a daily basis, contradicting themselves and saying what they think people want to hear. Every time they are pushed on what the final outcome will be they go all vague and quiet. Brexit is now happening but we as the general public have no idea what shape it will finally take as those in charge have no idea.

grtdkad

If we do not have alignment with EU regs then we cannot sell into the EU? Financial services are going to be shafted as well.

And as a result GB businesses will have to produce two versions of their product, one for GB and one for EU export markets.

…and then of course the double-whammy is that that will put more emphasis and pressure on border checks to make sure GB trucks aren’t shipping non-compliant products.

#kinidiots

Cougar

And you ask any of them and you’ll be told “we knew what we were voting for.” Maybe one of them could let Boris know, that might help clear things up.

grtdkad

😂 @cougar

Viewing 40 posts - 76,601 through 76,640 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.