Viewing 40 posts - 73,281 through 73,320 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • olddog

kelvin

Spin about Trump&Johnson whipping up a quick and easy trade deal is starting up again it seems (ignoring the Ireland question of course)… I’ve only seen a Sun article so far… so no link to post here. Will Johnson be pivoting to the “No Deal means more deals” position of the Brexit Party soon, rather than waiting ‘till an election is called…?

Edukator
    Free Member

The other thead was closed becuase it should be here apparently so:

This is the sort of thing a country should be truly ashamed of:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/20/the-men-who-plundered-europe-city-of-london-practices-on-trial-in-bonn

It’s one of the things that means I want either no deal or remain, nothing in between that might allow the city to continue to provide money laundering and fraudulent “services” without EU judicial control.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kimbers

slowoldman

It’s one of the things that means I want either no deal or remain, nothing in between that might allow the city to continue to provide money laundering and fraudulent “services” without EU judicial control.

I’m not sure no deal would have that effect.

Edukator
    Free Member

No deal means Britain losing its EU banking passport.

Cougar

Cougar

I’ve been engaging on and off with a leaver on Facebook who I nominally know in real life. They’ve been posting pro-leave propaganda for months, what has the EU ever done for us, and all that. They’ve just posted now, they’ve got caught up in Thomas Cook going pop, lost the holiday of a lifetime. I couldn’t resist an open net so I’ve just replied.

“You won’t be out of pocket. The EU Package Travel Directive (2015/2302/EU) protects European travellers for cancellation, repatriation and refunds. Lucky you didn’t go on holiday next month instead, really.”

I know, I’m a bad man.

Pook

keep us informed of the response

slowoldman

Preumably could still “continue to provide money laundering and fraudulent “services”” for non-EU clients?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I know, I’m a bad man.

You also look look like you might be a bit..you know…foreign.

You’ll be first up against the wall when we’re free of the EU restrictions protecting vaguely Mediterranean looking types.

Cougar

keep us informed of the response

It was actually his wife that posted, with him tagged in. All I’ve had so far is a thumbs-up from her.

outofbreath
    Free Member

You realise bankers aren’t very popular in some quarters of the UK, don’t you?

You and I are good neo-liberals so we understand the benefits of banking to the Uk but a vast number of leave voters did so specifically to give bankers a kick in the teeth.

Murray

All the UK banks have set up EU entities to keep their EU passporting. Only took a couple of years, millions of pounds for the project and billions moved to eg Ireland.

mattyfez

Corbyn still on the fence I see.
    No news there, what’s really important is the SC ruling tomorrow.

Will they set precident to legalise a dictatorship in boris, or will they dismiss the government appeal?

And also this is just judgement on whether the courts have a say, rather than whether boris lied to the Queen? I thought it was a two part argument which would require a seperate court case?

chewkw
    Free Member

If the ruling goes against PM Bojo tomorrow then there is a likelihood that PM Bojo will have to resign. Thus will make him the shortest PM in office in British history?

Woohoo more entertainment 😄

outofbreath
    Free Member

rather than whether boris lied to the Queen

That issue can never be decided by a court because the Queen will never say what Boris told her and nobody will ever believe Boris’s version of what was said.

kimbers

Johnson won’t resign

He’s too busy toadying up to Trump saying ‘only trump can get a deal’. – even tho there was deal trump tore it up coz he was jealous of Obama

But we are America’s bitch now , welcome to brexit britain

kelvin

amedias
    Free Member

it’s judgement time…

PrinceJohn

Hurdle one – they can rule on it…

amedias
    Free Member

I think he’s about to lose part 2…

kelvin

Sounds very much as if they are going to rule against the government.

tjagain

Fingers crossed 🙂

jimdubleyou

All the UK banks have set up EU entities to keep their EU passporting. Only took a couple of years, millions of pounds for the project and billions moved to eg Ireland.

Except, the rules say you can’t offer services to EU customers from outside the EU even with a passport.

It’s a bit more nuanced than that but we’ve actually had to close some UK offices and move the work to our other EU entities. Right PITA.

fadda

So – what next for Cummings and Co…?

tjagain

Hale says the court is “bound to conclude that the decision to advise her Majest to prorogue parliament was unlawful”.

YEEEESSSSSS!

BoardinBob

Ooft. What a ruling!

Boris will of course shrug it off

kelvin

Wow. Prorogation void!
    And we have a speaker with no need to worry about keeping his job. The commons can sit again ASAP if MPs want it.

kimbers

BoardinBob

Subscriber
    Ooft. What a ruling!

Boris will of course shrug it off

this

jam-bo

is that 9/9 or 8/8 now he’s lost? I’ve lost track…

tjagain

Johnson is now in a completely untenable situation. Legally bound to ask the EU for an extension, found to have acted unlawfully and with his entire strategy in tatters.

He may shrug it off but he is so damaged by this. No power left at all.

imnotverygood

wow

kimbers

So parliament back to work then?

Im fairly sure labour would like to pretend their conference never happened

Libdems have done theirs

Tory one will now be all about Johnson lying to the queen

oldnpastit

If you’re the kind of person who can get the taxpayer to pay for your mistress, then telling lies to the Queen shouldn’t stand in your way.

fadda

He may decide to cling on and see what happens, but some of the followers must be swayed by this?

Maybe I’m hoping too much!

tjagain

“Parliament has not been prorogued, she says.

She says it is for the Speaker to decide what happens next.”

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nice to feel a bit of a winning glow. Had a feeling that it might go the way of Miller et al, but all decisions being unanimous. Wowzers. 😀

tjagain

I suspect Bercow will recall parliament immediately. most tories will boycott it to go to conference, everyone else has a field day passing laws in the absence of the tories.

Fantastic result and unexpected that they went so far!

dannyh
    Free Member

Chickens home to roost. Lovely.

A sage and onion job for BoJo.

Viewing 40 posts - 73,281 through 73,320 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.