Viewing 40 posts - 72,681 through 72,720 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • epicyclo

Corbyn’s problem is the Blair years means half his party is Tory-lite.

Maybe they really need Vitriolic Great-Granddad…

But being Scottish, I’m enjoying watching the disintegration of the empire parties.

dudeofdoom

I did find it interesting that the no deal action of instantly dropping import tariffs to zero on Petrol made the U.K. refineries non-viable.

Looks like a bit of an oversight that one.

molgrips
    Free Member

But being Scottish, I’m enjoying watching the disintegration of the empire parties.

What do you mean empire parties? You suggesting that the British Empire was an English thing?

leffeboy

Ah, we’re clearly in for a little flurry of Cameron ‘revelations’ then.  As if we didn’t need more stirring but at least it will a good job of further destroying the Tory party in it’s current form

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/15/david-cameron-slammed-for-horrendous-mistake-brexit-referendum

martinhutch

ibDem/Tory pact being considered in Scotland on a “stop the SNP”

That sounds like a good way to ensure that the SNP gains seats, not loses them. If I were a LibDem or Tory voter in Scotland I would be aghast at the idea of a pact like that, and probably stay at home on polling day.

dudeofdoom

What do you mean empire parties? You suggesting that the British Empire was an English thing?

Steady…lower bayonets he may not be suggesting that 🙂

I always remember that my m8s greatsomething fought at Rorke’s drift(Zulu – Micheal Caine )and his stuffs at the Brecons museum when someone mentions empire.

dudeofdoom

So if a repolished and hastily renamed Bojo deal surfaces , fudging the NI backstrop by putting NI and Ireland in some regulatory alignment would parliament vote for it as its a deal and they’ve legalised for a deal so not voting for it seems a bit catch 22.

zippykona

Do the parasitic scumbag traitor hedge funders still get their billions if there is a deal?

Will they actually end up out of pocket?

Please God let at least one of them go bankrupt .( Properly homeless bankrupt not down to their last 10 million.)

epicyclo

molgrips

What do you mean empire parties?

Unionist. UK.

thepurist

would parliament vote for it

It still won’t be Brexit enough for the ERG headbangers, and the opposition have a PM on the ropes so if there’s even the tiniest chink of a reason not to support it they’ll exploit that to force BoJo to go and ask for an extension. If he doesn’t that’s bad for him, if he does that’s bad in the eyes of his devout followers.

So I reckon there’s more chance of me winning the lottery than Boris getting a deal through parliament. And I don’t even buy a ticket.

kelvin

That depends on how many Labour MPs would rather see Freedom of Movement of Workers end, no matter what the cost… even if the price was keeping Labour out of government and giving Johnson the legacy he wants and needs to continue as PM for five years. I don’t think there are enough, but there is no way I’d bet on it.

MSP

I think it more likely to come down to, “is there another realistic option” other than a bojo deal or no deal brexit. I suspect that many moderates are now getting a bit twitchy about voting down any more deals and what the consequences of that might entail.

MSP

Corbyn’s problem is the Blair years means half his party is Tory-lite.

Well that’s a part of the problem, but his biggest problem is that he has been an ineffectual leader, blinded in the glare of scrutiny, hypocritical in his democracy claims, failed to fight either the false claims of anti-semitism or deal with the genuine ones, and mainly on brexit has had to be pushed into what has always been too little too late.

Cougar

I think it more likely to come down to, “is there another realistic option” other than a bojo deal or no deal brexit.

There is one that jumps immediately to mind…

tjagain

There are around 70-100 labour brexiteer MPs – Ranging from the deluded Hoey who is an ” Out at all costs” outright racist to the lexit deluded idiots like Stringer via the bulk of them too scared of racists in their constituencies and who had any leadership removed under Blair making them followers.

Then there is the 50+ who want a policy of revoke a50 now

Thats the labour issue – not the lies some of you believe about Corbyn.

binners

Talking of deluded Lexiteer idiots, my local Momentum group is presently posting up Lexiteer claptrap like this

Cougar

Former Brexit secretary and Boris Johnson backer David Davis has said the government may have a “legal strategy” to avoid extending Britain’s EU membership beyond October 31 – before saying he has “no idea what it is”.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-news-latest-david-davis-says-government-may-have-legal-strategy-to-avoid-eu-extension-beyond-a4236821.html

Why is the BBC still giving this arsetrumpet airtime? He’d be out of his depth in a paddling pool.

Cougar

A gentle reminder that whilst hedge fund managers, disaster capitalists and newspaper owners are playing their games, real people’s actual lives are in the balance.

Brexit protester confronts MP Richard Graham

Watch the moment MP Richard Graham is confronted by a Brexit protester. The EU national is a Cotswolds constituent and came to the protests to support the Gloucester constituents.

Posted by ITV News West Country on Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Project fear I suppose.

mrmo
    Free Member

looks like the plan is simply suspend Parliament until November…

binners

Cummings got away with breaking the law repeatedly during the referendum campaign and was then found in contempt of parliament with no censure either.

Looks like him and Boris think that that makes them above the law and they’ll just carry on with that approach

Christ only knows what those pair, backed by the ERG headbangers are cooking up. It’s bound to be a full-on assault on democracy, now it seems that nothing is off-limits in their determination to crash us out with no deal

slowoldman
    cchris2lou

That French woman could be me if I was still living in the UK.
    20 years in the UK
    Married to a british woman
    3 kids.
    Always employed
    Home owner
    No guarantee to be able to stay in the UK

Should be interesting next time I visit the UK(after 31st of October) , my French passport has got my UK address on it.

Del

I’m not convinced the answer to English nationalism is Scottish nationalism.

kelvin

Even if parliament isn’t suspended, there are lots of tricks the government can use to run down what little parliamentary time there is at the end of October. Some might result in legal action… but even that could then be made to drag out past our exit date. If they want to play dirty, and have no fear of retribution after we have left (why should they), it’s going to be hard to stop them.

tjagain

Its actually very easy to stop them now that the bill has been passed to make him ask for an extension. If he doesn’t he is in contempt of court and goes straight to jail, senior civil servant asks for the extension in Johnsons name. Thats one way. the other is VONC, Johnsons government falls on the 19th. 2 weeks to find another government capable of having the confidence of the house – they ask for the extension

Once the Bill to force an extension was passed adn the election refused Johnson and cummings were left5 with no options that are legally acceptable.

mrmo
    Free Member

and how long does it take to deal with the illegalities. You are assuming that Johnson and Cummings have any interest in following the law. Even a VONC will take us beyond the end of the month.

that £600,000 has to be earned.

tjagain

If he is in contempt of court around 5 mins! Courts really do not like that sort of thing. He is legally bound to follow the law, if he doesn’t he is arrested, charge adn off he goes.

Once there is a VONC Johnson cannot delay anything – he is out, parliament just needs somone who can pass a vonc

binners

I have absolutely zero confidence that our legal system or constitution is in any way fit for an entire government that doesn’t give a flying **** about either

This is a far right coup.

If the Supreme Court rules that Johnson’s prorogation is legal, then I’d stick your house on him extending it into November

Edukator
    Free Member

If he doesn’t he is in contempt of court and goes straight to jail

He’s already said he’d rather be dead in a ditch than delay Brexit. So I reckon he’ll be fine about being jailed, revel in it even, a real people’s hero. Thousands clamouring for his release outside the jail.

It needs parliament to sidestep Boris and request an extension, because parliament trumps the PM. But for that parliament has to decide to ask for an extension and mandate someone to make the request to the EU if Boris refuses. The EU is obliged to accept the request whether from Boris or parliament but is not obliged to grant the extension which is dependent on the agreement of 27 states.

Daily Fail 28/92019:

Boris freed by Brexit heroes!

mrmo
    Free Member

charge adn off he goes.

which takes time, innocent until proven guilty, remember that the tories were in contempt of parliament and what happened. What exactly is the crime and the punishment for ignoring the Benn act.

There are c10 days. between breaking the law and Brexit day. in that time you need to find someone to move a VONC, win said motion, install a new PM etc etc etc.

And if he is in danger he could always suspend parliament or maybe make use of the those Henry 8th powers he was granted.

mrmo
    Free Member

The EU is obliged to accept the request whether from Boris or parliament but is not obliged to grant the extension which is dependent on the agreement of 27 states.

Which I guess comes back to what is the point? Is the UK likely to come up with a plan if given more time.

Cougar

I reckon he’ll be fine about being jailed, revel in it even, a real people’s hero. Thousands clamouring for his release outside the jail.

Ah yes. “FREE ARE TOMMY!”

tjagain

mrmo – the plan is second referendum ( made more tricky by Swinson not playing)

falkirk-mark

Its like Jack with the family cow he’s gonna come back with the magic beans on Halloween however meanwhile we have the the EU saying Scotland would get a favourable hearing for rejoining the EU if it went independent.

squirrelking
    Free Member

If it legally went independent. Details. Also just a committee.

doomanic

Makes you proud to British…[/sarcasm]

Bunch of racist ****.

leffeboy

that really is a wow article.  Thankfully their twitter feed linked to above seems to be full of more sensible commentators.  It’s getting a little scary when that is the level reached.

epicyclo

squirrelking

If it legally went independent…

All it has to do is dissolve the Treaty of Union.

That’s a unilateral action and one available to a govt with a majority of independence parties. (Which there is)

It is also unlikely that it will happen that way.

Scotland does not need permission to leave, but the whole point of getting an agreement for a referendum is so that Westminster agrees to respect the result instead of reacting. Tanks on the street and all that…

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Thankfully their twitter feed linked to above seems to be full of more sensible commentators

There are plenty of howling soulless **** that were dogpiling it earlier today. ****. Just ****.

Their social media team has done well to engage the sensible people commenting on that tweet.

Viewing 40 posts - 72,681 through 72,720 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.