Viewing 40 posts - 70,721 through 70,760 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • kelvin

Can any of you honestly say you knew who your MEP was before 2016?

Who has ONE single MEP?
    Don’t get angry… get informed.

kelvin

Unrelated… but love this from the longest standing MEP for our region…

One of my daughters, when collecting stamps, said that I collect papers. That, and the fact that I’ve written several books that are highly valued by insomniacs, should convince you that I’m the most boring person you can safely vote for.

http://www.richardcorbett.org.uk

cchris2lou

And now Macron is saying no new deal.
    Good cop, bad cop.

tjagain

So did Merkel

All she said was if you can come up with something that means the backstop is not needed this can be added to the political declaration

dudeofdoom

A timely reminder from Merkel of how a top politician operates telling Johnson she will listen to anything and if he comes up with a workable arrangement for the border the backstop is no longer needed – and he has 30 days to do it.

Showing she is not being intransigent and throwing the onus back on Johnson.

I found the exchange quite revealing considering the original rhetoric and demands from Bojo he was actually like a puppy.

I was expecting a more defiant attitude and was surprised that he didn’t actually get what she’d just done.

tjagain

He has no idea how to deal with women like Merkel. Part of his flawed upbringing / character. She also has more political nous in her pinky than he has in his whole body. This is what happens when an able political operator meets someone who is all bluff and bluster

fadda

surprised that he didn’t actually get what she’d just done.

<Shhhhhh – don’t tell anyone, but I’m not sure he’s very bright… >

Sandwich

That was a cracking return of serve by Frau Merkel. Whatever Boris does he’s going to upset someone he relies on.

tjagain

So how is todays meeting going to go.

My bet – hard line from Macron but leaving space for the 30 dys to find a solution – something along the lines of ” tell us what you want specifically and outline the alternative arrangements” coupled with ” come back when you have a serious proposal” from Macron and bluster along the lines of ” I knew they didn’t want to negotiate” from Johnson

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

If they’re the best examples we can find of MEPs showing their worth it’s little wonder people voted for brexit in their millions.

They were a mere handful of examples I found with a half arsed five minutes on google.

Also, re the other point, no, I had no idea of the identity of “my MEP”, but the TV analogy works for me, I was generally happy with how Europe seemed to be working out, so I didn’t need to care much.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

cracking return of serve by Frau Merkel

I’d genuinely prefer Boris Becker to be our PM.

PhilO
    Free Member

Also, re the other point, no, I had no idea of the identity of “my MEP”, but the TV analogy works for me, I was generally happy with how Europe seemed to be working out, so I didn’t need to care much.

Plus, of course, the reason it’s difficult to identify a single MEP as your representative is down to the election process used – something which is selected by the Nation State, not the EU. Blame Westminster for the regional use of De Hondt (Sp?).

cchris2lou

Well Macron just said that it is down to Boris to find a solution if he doesn’t want the backstop.
    Boris only reply was that the referendum result had to be respected.

tjagain

My bet – hard line from Macron but leaving space for the 30 dys to find a solution – something along the lines of ” tell us what you want specifically and outline the alternative arrangements” coupled with ” come back when you have a serious proposal” from Macron and bluster along the lines of ” I knew they didn’t want to negotiate” from Johnson

Not quite 100% right on Johnsons reply but Macron and Merkel have firmly called his bluff and thrown all the onus back on him while all he could do was bluster and grin inanely

30 love

Klunk
    Free Member
    kelvin

Headline from that link…

Migration experts say the UK cannot end freedom of movement from the EU on Brexit day because it has no system to work out who is legally in the country.

Of course FoM can end when the government wants it to… it just can’t do so without having a detrimental effect on many of the people who are already here legally and correctly… but then the Windrush mess tells us that won’t necessarily stop them… it’a a great chance to blow those dog whistles…

pipm1
    Free Member

I heard on Radio4 a few minutes ago a proposed solution to not having checks on the Irish border was to have them 10minutes away.

cloudnine
    Free Member

null

iffoverload
    Free Member

^needs a string vest and a can of wifebeater..

thepurist

Looks like he’s about to do a massive Trump and make those flags flutter.

“Emmanuel – pull my finger”

Del

Grandstanding prick.

Sandwich

I’d genuinely prefer Boris Becker to be our PM.

He’s just as bankrupt.

kelvin

Wow.

dannyh
    Free Member

Foot on the table, foot on the floor, flies open and todger out, dressed as Huggy Bear with a couple of bar girls draped over him…… None of it makes any difference. He is a chump. He is out of his depth and would get pwned over an issue he had a good chance with. As it is, he is dealing with an impossibility within a contradiction in a wrapping of farce.

Merkel basically waved him away with the truth. “It is your mess, tosspot, you sort it out”. Macron likewise.

Every week this nonsense drags on, Britain is further diminished. And to think it was spittle flecked gammony ‘patriots’ who wanted it most. It would be delicious if it was happening to someone else.

dudeofdoom

Yep that table scene that was basically 2 men arsing about but We got

Macho Macron tried to boss Boris Johnson… but the bumbling bulldog fought back

From the telegraph.

Gotta love reporting an er just making shit up.

Tbh I’m always expecting the Dambusters music when Bojos on.

binners

The brilliant Facebook page ‘The Thick of it quotes’ used a favourite Malcolm Tuckerism to caption that photo:

“feet off the furniture you Oxbridge ****, you’re not on a punt now!”

dudeofdoom

None of it makes any difference. He is a chump. He is out of his depth and would get pwned over an issue he had a good chance with. As it is, he is dealing with an impossibility within a contradiction in a wrapping of farce.

Not a chump , are you getting paid £270k for writing BS and are you living rent free and having your mortgage paid and a rather nice pension as well as 100k pocket money and free trips and accommodationt to France Plus a nice job on a board of some company when you leave 🙂

He knows exactly what’s happening and he’s happy enough to take the job, it’s a win for him however it goes down, 52% voted to go Fk themselves(and unfortunately the rest of us).

fasthaggis

He’s not even a poundland trump chump. Boris Piccaninny Watermelon Letterbox Cake Bumboys Vampires Haircut Inconclusive-Cocaine-Event Wall-Spaffer Johnston
    So far out of his depth I almost start to feel sorry for him,almost.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

The circus rolls on but nothing has changed. As always the choices are: Withdrawal Agreement, no deal, revoke.

Withdrawal Agreement is still dead in the water. Brexiters who don’t actually want Brexit still won’t vote for it. Opposition parties are still playing People’s Front of Judea. Government is treating this as an election campaign.

So sad to see this country slowly disappear up it’s own arsehole.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

From the telegraph.

and from the Daily Fail it’s presented as

Brexit Boost for Boris

Tally ho chaps, get the Spitfires out, he’s only gone and given old Fritzy the what for.

onehundredthidiot

That “footstool” photo says everything about how out of his depth he is. Macron is smart enough to know that BJ is dumb enough to put his foot on that table and look like a chump. never mind the story the picture is what people will remember.

tjagain

Secretary of State for NI @JulianSmithUK says he’s confident @BorisJohnson can get a #Brexit deal but doesn’t want to provide a running commentary on what alternative arrangements could be put in place for the border

Translate. I haven’t got a clue what these alternative arrangments are

tjagain

Lucas:

A no-deal Brexit would be a disaster for this country and parliament must prevent it in any way possible. Jeremy Corbyn has done the right thing by reaching out to colleagues and I welcome the fact that all the opposition parties in the House of Commons have accepted his invitation for discussions. I would urge all MPs who have been approached and who recognise the danger this country faces to join these talks with an open mind. We all need to put our country’s future first.

That means either pursuing legislative measures or a vote of no confidence in a Boris Johnson government which is showing every intention of driving this country off the edge of a cliff, and replacing it with a caretaker government which is committed to giving the people the right to decide on the Brexit deal.

I am prepared to support Jeremy Corbyn as leader of this caretaker government, as should any MP who wants to stop a no-deal Brexit. But if he cannot gain the support of a sufficient number of colleagues across parliament, I hope he will be prepared to back another MP from his party, or another, who can. I will ask him again to make his position clear in our discussions next week.

I will also continue to make the case that we need a people’s vote before a general election, as the only certain way of ensuring that the British people have the final say on Brexit.

Now why couldn’t Swinson strike a similar tone? That really shows just how divorced from reality and how stupid Swinson is.

Make your point, don’t put peoples backs up. leave all doors open

thesquaredog
    Free Member

If Corbyn and Labour really want to stop No Deal why don’t they just support the Maybot’s deal?

Surely with Labour supporting it there would be enough to get it through parliament?

Even if they get in power are they really going to negotiate something better?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

BJ is dumb enough to put his foot on that table and look like a chump

Nail, head.

If it smells like a chump, walks like a chump and quacks like a chump, it’s Boris.

Even if they get in power are they really going to negotiate something better?

Of course they won’t, but, the deal-that-is-0.01%-different might just have Labour written on it.

ferrals
    Free Member

Judging from the press today, even if Boris found a herd of unicorns willing to invisibly patrol the Irish border and make the backstop redundant; the ERG still wont vote the deal through. Why would they when the no-deal they desire is so close to being acheived. Hopefully that will focus anti-no-dealers minds, the arguemnt BJ could still get a deal is void if there are enoguh hardliners who will oppose it.

thebees
    Free Member

European Union my ar**. It’s a French/German carve up.
    Go on then, tell me he’s off to Malta or Latvia next.

Other EU nations aren’t even allowed to provide government funding to get electric
    car manufacturing industries off the ground, which leaves it to those
    countries with an existing auto industry in place. That’d be Germany and France then.

Edukator
    Free Member

That’s incorrect, thebees, as this approval for state aid for an electric car battery plant in Poland proves.

https://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-19-744_en.htm

And the UK government is providing funding for Land Rover’s electric car project:

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/business/jaguar-land-rover-wins-500m-government-loan-make-electric-cars/

matt_outandabout

That’d be Germany and France then.

Or the new LR plants in Slovakia.

And Spain, Czech Republic, Belgium, Italy, Poland, Romania, Sweden, Portugal (shall I carry on?).

kelvin

Your facts won’t counteract his “feelings” … but it’s so nice that people still try. Oh, and if Johnson thinks that when it comes to a post Brexit trade deal he can ignore the smaller nations in the EU… reality will bite him in the arse.

Viewing 40 posts - 70,721 through 70,760 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.