Viewing 40 posts - 70,601 through 70,640 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • cchris2lou

How is border force going to know if coming for a holiday or to live in UK?

mattyfez

I don’t think it’s had more than a nano second of thought put into it.
    Just a tory MP putting out a few platitudes to make it seem like they are ‘getting on with it’.

binners

Given the bunch of clowns that are nominally in charge, that Yellowhammer report of complete chaos is looking like a best-case scenario.

We’re planning on doing what we did for the original March Brexit deadline and shoving the bikes and walking boots in the car and heading off to the middle of nowhere for the week, so we don’t have to be anywhere or doing anything in particular

Anyone else doing the same?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kimbers

You know what’s gonna happen it’ll be a shitshow, the chaos will hit those at the bottom hardest

And the usual suspects will find a way of blaming Meghan markel & Greta thurnberg

binners

Who we have in charge at the moment aren’t really a government, in the real meaning of the word, it’s a junta

kimbers

amusing & accurate article

https://www.ft.com/content/eaae31b2-c004-11e9-9381-78bab8a70848

This unstable combination of whingeing victimhood twinned with pompous self-regard has characterised much of Britain’s negotiations thus far.

What’s depressing are the xenophobic & vitriolic comments from the leavers underneath!

Poopscoop

Personally, ill be stocking up on fuel for Halloween, tinned foods and ready meals etc. It’ll all get used if things turn out ok anyway but if they don’t it can only be handy.

Stuffed with prescription meds though. Not worried about my own but my mother is on meds for glaucoma and vascular dementia which is really worrying if hit with supply issues.

All utterly unnecessary and all for something I DID NOT ******* FOR FOR.

mattyfez

Looks like corbyn is realising the parliamentary arithmetic.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/corbyn-caretaker-pm-stop-no-deal-brexit-a9064616.html

That’s good, but, is there time for a VONC, then presumably a commons vote for him to lead the interim government, and if he doesn’t get the numbers, a second vote for someone else?

I suppose if they line up a second choice during the cross party talks, in preparation, a second vote could be held immediately after if corbyn doesn’t get the numbers?

Personally I just want no deal stopped, if that’s with corbyn or harman or Clarke, I really don’t care.

We know the commons has already voted to rule out no deal, it’s simply a question of getting the most paletable candidate to get a majority.

FuzzyWuzzy

I just can believe any government, even a Tory one led by BJ, would put the country through this and expect for their party to ever be in power again

All they need is right-wing media collusion, a big spend on social media ‘advertising’ and they’ll convince enough people it was the EU’s or Remainers fault we couldn’t get a great deal + £350m a week for the NHS.

Once the economic downturn hits and people lose their jobs then Nationalism will rise and the Tories are really the only electable Nationalist party so I think they’re counting on Brexit chaos rather than worried about it (at least the far right element, there’s a few moderate MPs left – for now).

martinhutch

Given the bunch of clowns that are nominally in charge, that Yellowhammer report of complete chaos is looking like a best-case scenario.

To be fair, they have taken a significant step towards mitigating the worst-case scenario by sacking Chris Grayling.

I suppose if they line up a second choice during the cross party talks, in preparation, a second vote could be held immediately after if corbyn doesn’t get the numbers?

Having a second choice pretty much ensures that Jeremy won’t get the numbers. If he’s going to step aside after discharging his duty to call VONC, then he should give someone else a go from the off.

dannyh
    Free Member

I see everyone’s favourite asshole and all round shit bloke Aaron Banks has been trolling Greta Thunberg about ‘freak yachting accidents’. And to make it worse he has gone with the ‘oh, it is only banter, have a sense of humour’ defence.

I miss the days where even assholes had a bit of shame (or felt the need to fake it when they got called out), but now it seems that being as big an asshole as it is possible to be is a winning strategy.

Still, she must be doing something right to get this reaction. I imagine the likes of Banks et al tried their usual trawl through social media etc trying to find something to latch on to, but they can’t find anything.

cchris2lou

End of FOM confirmed by nb 10.
    That is going to be fun in November.

dannyh
    Free Member

They’ll lose the support of the likes of Wolfson over this, his ilk want (especially near Christmas) downward pressure on wages from foreign temp labour.

alpin
    Free Member

Just heard in the news that EU citizens won’t be welcome to stay after the 31st.

I’m guessing that the same will be true for Brits in the EU.

Fuckity **** ****.

That’s me then.

And to top it, the German GF and I were planning on being in the UK at the end of October for my old man’s birthday.

Now having doubts whether we should travel or not.

Edukator
    Free Member

My guess is you’ll be fine in the EU. Why would France, Germany or any of the 27 want to deprive their economies of economically active Brits? Only Britain is stupid enough to shoot itself in the foot by ousting people with skills it needs.

I’m intrigued to see the formalities I’ll have to go through to cross the channel with my French passport, I assume that the UK will still want my tourist Euros. Maybe they’ll accept a very old black passport with the corner cut off.

doomanic

This is just childish, bullying behaviour from the Poundland Trump. Will the arrogant man-baby ever accept that his tactics are the ones that will destroy the UK?

jjprestidge
    Free Member

It’s interesting that you lot take this all seriously – as I’ve said before, none of this stuff is actually going to happen.

Anyone remember all the people on here who were convinced that the withdrawal agreement was going to be voted through/we’d exit with a no deal months ago, despite all the signs to the contrary?

JP

BoardinBob

as I’ve said before, none of this stuff is actually going to happen.

That’s my only hope. That BoJo and his cronies are simply posturing as hard as possible knowing their promises will never happen, but if they appear committed then they can blame us remoaners when their evil plans collapse

Chew
    Free Member

That’ll be fun trying to convince Northern Ireland….

tjagain

Johnson will take us out with no deal if he can. Remember he is pandering to the tory right to stay pm.

bigjim

The latest in Denmark seems to be if we’re working and fully registered here we can stay. Denmark has a brexit plan, which seems to be a lot more than Britain has managed. Your government should have some kind of info on their website, though it’s hard for countries to know what to do when we’re making such a complete mess of it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nah. rEU (especially Germany) will want to take the moral high ground, plus they won’t want to lose a fair few skilled workers all at once. It’d be terrible press too. The worse the UK gets, the more the rEU doesn’t want to be like us.

And the worse Boris gets, the more likely we are to have our own Joseph Welch moment.

kelvin

They’ll lose the support of the likes of Wolfson over this

Is he not dead?

Johnson will take us out with no deal if he can.

Absolutely he will… many of his supporters want the most damage as possible for the UK… they intend to make lots of money from the aftermath, and reshape the UK at speed to better fit their own aims. They won’t give a shit how it effects people already struggling to make ends meet, or living across borders without the means to brush away new bureaucracy and costs.

FuzzyWuzzy

as I’ve said before, none of this stuff is actually going to happen.

Depends what you mean by stuff, do you mean a no deal Brexit itself or some of the things that have been touted as happening if we do have a no deal Brexit?

If the former then I admire your confidence, mine’s long since evaporated. I just can’t see how there can be a deal anymore (at least not without the EU shafting Ireland and going back on their own red lines). So with no deal that can be negotiated the only other hope is postponement but that would take a successful VONC and it seems JC being interim PM means that’s unlikely.

If you mean much of the doom and gloom is over-stated and things will carry on as they are with maybe just a few delays at the borders then whilst we might not be facing an economic apocalypse on Nov 1st I think it’s naive to think that the EU will just stay “yeah, ignore all our rules and regulations, we trust you – carry on as you were”.

kelvin

Forget about rules the EU sets… it’s international rules, such as WTO rules of origin, that make the whole idea of a business as usual No Deal exit just a blatant and obvious con, albeit from conmen with a very successful track record of getting away with it… …they are not being held to account for the lies of 2016, and they will not be held to account for this new bullshit after we leave either.

AD

One of my Brexit voting colleagues is concerned ‘we’ll end up like Hong Kong’ if we don’t fulfil the will of the people and leave.
    He wasn’t impressed when I asked him to comment about the differences between the size of pro- and anti-brexit marches…

TheBrick
    Free Member

We know the commons has already voted to rule out no deal, it’s simply a question of getting the most paletable candidate to get a majority.

JC is so blind to how unpopular he is he can’t see that there are others with wider appeal.

fadda

This “democratic” fulfilment of the “will of the people” is really getting me down. Three years, and there’s still no definition of what it actually is!

kerley
    Free Member

It is basically “just get on with it, it is not complicated”

fadda

Appreciate that, its the plethora of versions of “it”, that bugs me. Some of them incompatible with the others, but they’re all in this bucket of “leave” that people are being sold.

tjagain

According to my brexiteer cousin ” no deal” was what they voted for so get on with it” Nothing will change her view on this despite the brexiteers during the referendum campaign all saying that we would have a deal and it would be easy.

Basically now the fantasies of the brexiteers have been shown to be nonsense they have changed what they are saying and revised history.

Idiots the lot of them

Dickyboy

An old friend of mine & his wife who’ve made a life for themselves in southern France for the past 12yrs are rabid brexiteers – I have no idea why or how they think it will benefit them, unless they think the EU is going to crumble as a result 🤔

ferrals
    Free Member

The government’s behaviour has gone so far beyond farcial, I’m beggining to think BJ is actually trying to make it easy for parliment to vote no confidence in him so there has to be an election.

kerley
    Free Member

Some of them incompatible with the others, but they’re all in this bucket of “leave” that people are being sold.

That’s detail, detail is not required to “just get on with it”. It is so simple detail is not required.

fadda

@ferrals – the problem being those who are lapping it up, thinking that he’s finally showing some robust negotiation, and is showing Johnny foreigner that we Brits won’t be messed around…. 🙄

thesquaredog
    Free Member

Say there was a GE before Brexit and the Tories got a big enough majority that they didn’t require the support of the DUP, could the back stop problem then be solved by putting the border down the Irish Sea?

Is this not the most logical compromise?

kimbers

Say there was a GE before Brexit and the Tories got a big enough majority that they didn’t require the support of the DUP, could the back stop problem then be solved by putting the border down the Irish Sea?

Yes it would work, but it would be a huge provocation to the DUP and their bonfire loving supporters

would also throw up big problems for NI businesses and their trade with UK, especially as johnson wants to diverge straight away

kelvin

That’s what the EU proposed originally. The current backstop that this government rejects was proposed by the last government. It’s almost as if A50 was triggered before there was an agreed plan on the UK side ready to begin negotiations with the EU (and then with others).

tjagain

Our poundshop Trump gets his first slap from Merkel

“The moment we have a practical arrangement on how to preserve the Good Friday agreement and at the same time define the borders of the [European Union’s] internal market, we would not need the backstop anymore.

This means we would naturally think about practical solutions. And I’ve always said that when one has the will to find these solutions, one can do so in a short period of time. The EU is ready to find a solution.”

According to Reuters, Merkel said this would not require the withdrawal agreement to be re-opened and was instead a question for the so-called political declaration on future relations.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

It’s almost as if A50 was triggered before there was an agreed plan on the UK side ready to begin negotiations with the EU (and then with others).

I don’t think it even needed an agreed plan.

It just need a plan.

And the thing about failing to plan is…

Viewing 40 posts - 70,601 through 70,640 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.