Viewing 40 posts - 70,561 through 70,600 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • ransos
    Free Member

So an option based in reality must be chosen

Such as choosing a Tory opposed to a second referendum?

kelvin

Tory MP votes are needed, to get the election, where Labour will be promising a referendum with a Remain option. It’s not complicated. You’ll get it eventually. There a very few Tory MPs that’ll vote for Corbyn to be caretaker PM, even if it is the only way to stop No Deal. Tory MP votes are needed to get that election.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s not complicated. You’ll get it eventually.

I get that it won’t get the Labour votes it needs, because it’s a stupid idea. Probably why you support it.

kimbers

Well actually yes, cos Clarke has a better chance of winning a vote* & getting an extension from the eu

In the alternative universe where Corbyn does command enough votes, then yeah it’s jeremy all the way

* I think the joint harman/clarke ticket is the only way to do it

ransos
    Free Member

Well actually yes, cos Clarke has a better chance of winning a vote & getting an extension from the eu

Oh yeah, let’s vote for the guy who opposes Labour & Lib Dem policy.

kimbers

Actually Clarke is 100% behind lib dems policy

https://www.libdems.org.uk/f6-policy-motion-on-europe

revoke Article 50 if a deal has not been agreed a week before we are due to leave the European Union or if an Article 50 extension request for the purpose of a People’s Vote is declined.

ransos
    Free Member

“The Liberal Democrats believe the people should have the final say on Brexit.”

But it’s ok, I get it. Hatred of Corbyn means backing someone opposed to this.

kimbers

Sigh…

I voted for corbyn , (like the millions of now lib dems voters) there’s no hate, just disappointment

But yeah like those millions of remainers I’ll take revoking a50 happily!

kelvin

Well actually yes, cos [insert name here] has a better chance of winning a vote & getting an extension from the eu

Does’t have to be Clarke.

Starmer still seems the most obvious figure to me.

ransos
    Free Member

But yeah like those millions of remainers I’ll take revoking a50 happily!

As long as you get your own way without any kind of mandate, that’s all that matters.

kimbers

As long as you get your own way without any kind of mandate, that’s all that matters.

You’re absolutely right I don’t want to see my country turned inside out by the hard right’s wet dream of a brexit

Guilty as charged on that one m’lud

kelvin

It’ll take more than revoking A50, or seeking an extension now… increasing amount of activity will be required in Parliament now that current government is trying to lock us into the current exit date…

Tick. Tock.

kelvin

And what mandate is required to stop us leaving, by whatever means, this year? No one has secured a mandate for any given exit date yet. And no one has secured a mandate for No Deal yet. So, hit the stop button… then work out what to do next, and seek a mandate, via election and/or referendum, for what you have planned.

kelvin

ransos
    Free Member

You’re absolutely right I don’t want to see my country turned inside out by the hard right’s wet dream of a brexit

Neither do I. Which is why I reluctantly support a second referendum.

dazh

Can’t be that much of a national emergency as Tory mps have rejected the only workable plan on the table.

dazh

So, hit the stop button… then work out what to do next, and seek a mandate

There’s a plan on the table to do exactly that, but you lot don’t seem to like it. If it was that important you’d be raging that a few Tory MPs and Libdems were obstructing the solution, but instead you defend them.

No deal or Corbyn for a few weeks. Make your choice. Tick tock etc…

kimbers

Why can’t you understand, it’s not our choice!

What we think has no bearing whatsoever, in fact as I said before I think Cornyn could & would pull it off, if he had the votes….

But it’s not down to me, it’s a decision for MPs to make and it needs a less polarizing person than corbyn or the plan is doa

tjagain

What it needs is for more mps to put country before party and career.

kelvin

My choice? I’ve said I’d be happy for Corbyn to be temporary PM, and I’ve also said I will now vote Labour in the election that gets called… but here is the rub… I AM NOT A TORY REBEL MP.

Asking MPs to vote down a government formed by their own party is a HUGE deal… and they would be putting country before their party and career… if they are prepared to do it with a different temporary PM, the opportunity should be grabbed with both hands by all the other parties. Kick out the current government, stop the clock on Brexit, get that election, fight it to install your choice of PM.

dudeofdoom

Asking MPs to vote down a government formed by their own party is a HUGE deal… and they would be putting country before their party and career

Yep I don’t think we’re going to get a Spock wrath of Khan moment, it would be nice but the only people likely to vote against their own party is someone not planning on staying in politics/matey with the party for future er favours.

I think this is the what Cummings is banking on that the chances of a party of unity forming is so slim due to the fact that they all want to be king for a day and the multitude of factions makes it hard to come up with any unity against a clock ticking down.

Boris was on an electioneering footing from day one he was PM and is continually hammering home a narrative they want to play out in the event of being forced into an election.

Gowrie
    Free Member

That’s whats been needed for a very long time now. If, for example, Labour had supported May’s deal, we’d have had Brexit (which is rubbish admittedly) but at least not no deal Brexit – which will be a lot worse.

martinhutch

You’d hope there are enough MPs such as Ken Clarke who either are ready to retire, or realise that the writing may be on the wall in regard to their future MP status, such as Wollaston.

dazh

Why can’t you understand, it’s not our choice!

Oh I’m very aware of that. Also aware of the endless and pointless pontificating on here about ridiculous options other than the simple and obvious one on the table.

Given we’ve spent months arguing about labour policy, with some of us receiving a fair amount abuse in the process, it’s funny that now labour have not only adopted the policies which the STW remainers wanted, and offered a route to save us from no deal, it’s still not enough.

It’s ok though, I’m sure the Lib Dem’s will ride to the rescue 😀

dudeofdoom

That’s whats been needed for a very long time now. If, for example, Labour had supported May’s deal, we’d have had Brexit (which is rubbish admittedly) but at least not no deal Brexit – which will be a lot worse.

Tbh If her own party had supported it Brexit would have happened 🙂

Gowrie
    Free Member

Tbh If her own party had supported it Brexit would have happened 🙂

Absolutely. But as there’s been so many times when MPs voting for their party or conscience have derailed something that would have been better than a no deal Brexit, it’s a bit rich piling all this opprobrium on the Lib Dems/Tory remainers for wanting someone other than Corbyn now, I fear.

thesquaredog
    Free Member

Just been reading this…

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/operation-chaos-whitehalls-secret-no-deal-brexit-plan-leaked-j6ntwvhll

I just can believe any government, even a Tory one led by BJ, would put the country through this and expect for their party to ever be in power again.

I can’t help but think ‘we are going for no deal’ is just a giant bluff in the hope that the EU will back down. Not sure what their plan B is though?

martinhutch

Yes, but will I still be able to get my Euromillions ticket? That’s all I care about.

cchris2lou

Head of parties need to find someone neutral enough.
    It doesn’t make sense for Corbyn to be interim PM. Surely that is going to count against him in the GE.

tjagain

I think it would count for him – the public at large would get to see he is not the monster he has been painted

Klunk
    Free Member

Yes, but will I still be able to get my Euromillions ticket? That’s all I care about.

and a crash in the pound increases the jackpot.

dudeofdoom

I just can believe any government, even a Tory one led by BJ, would put the country through this and expect for their party to ever be in power again.

Well ‘will of the people’ 🙂

kelvin

Corbyn putting country first and supporting someone else to be temporary PM would count for him… and not being the temporary PM frees him up to be 100% focused on campaigning for a Labour win at the snap election, rather than dealing day to day with a highly compromised executive that relies on the support of Tory MPs to function.

dudeofdoom

Referendum showed you can sell shite to a large number of people so it’ll be done again.

I think the trouble will start when companies that have announced they are pulling out, like Honda in Swindon actually shut the doors an x thousands are suddenly dumped without work and a way to pay their mortgages.

But tbh this has happened in the past only have to look at the miners and steelworks.

dudeofdoom

and a crash in the pound increases the jackpot.

And the CAP payments to farmers 🙂

(Shouts out to WelshFarmer and the Three men in a pub pubcasts for this ironic nugget )

kelvin
    dazh

Corbyn putting country first and supporting someone else to be temporary PM would count for him…

Not a chance. We all know exactly what would happen. The calls would start immediately for him to step down as leader, labour MPs would refuse to vote through an election under the FPA and the media would start a Corbyn the Coward campaign. His authority would drain away and the Labour Party would be in civil war. You’re asking the Labour Party to commit suicide for the ‘good of country’ to protect the careers of a few tory elder statesmen. Never going to happen!

dudeofdoom

Hmm not sure Piri Patel plans of closing the border immediately on Brexit looks spectacularly well thought thru.

mattyfez

Hmm not sure Piri Patel plans of closing the border immediately on Brexit looks spectacularly well thought thru.

Just read an article on this.. So she’s going to stop paddy from crossing the village green to meet Murphy for a guiness?

That will end well.

Viewing 40 posts - 70,561 through 70,600 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.