Viewing 40 posts - 67,761 through 67,800 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • taxi25
    Free Member

Keep up @taxi25, the blame does not live with those cheated of their vote.

They still had time to register, in fact thousands did.

DrJ

he hasn’t got the numbers to push through no deal,

How many times does this have to be explained ???

doomanic

At least once more, apparently.

PJM1974
    Free Member

But just like Gove, once the civil servants sit him down and soberly explain the consequences to him he will (I hope) change his mind.

Unlikely. During his spell at the Foreign Office he reportedly sat at his desk, inserted his fingers in his ears and hummed God Save the Queen each and every time a civil servant tried to explain to him the complexities of Brexit and the likely social and economic damage.

The only thing that Boris was on top of during his tenure at the FO was usually someone else’s wife.

I have acquaintances who worked at the FO who’ve their own Boris related anecdotes – he’s reckless, has no care for detail, lacks empathy and apparently is a singularly charmless individual once you get to know him. He needs close and careful management and has a Trumpian disdain for experts. It pains me to say this, but the party needs a Gove, not a Johnson if it is to avoid being subsumed into the Faragist carnival populist movement that will ultimately either lead us straight into authoritarianism or decades of social unrest.

cchris2lou

Oh look a Brexiter blaming someone else for UK gov failures once again. They are getting good at it.

PJM1974
    Free Member

a Brexiter blaming someone else for UK gov failures once again. They are getting good at it

This is exactly how a “stab in the back” mentality takes hold.

thepurist

How many times does this have to be explained ???

Yes it’s the default on 31/10 but we’ve seen that the (current) HoC will not sit idly by and let it happen.  The only way that’ll change is either a GE or the new leader doing a fantastic job of convincing MPs that No Deal is the best option available to the UK at the moment.  We won’t get a GE while the resurgent Farage is fresh in Tory minds, and I’m not sure how you can put enough lipstick on the pig of no deal to make MPs support it.  So IMO no deal isn’t looking much more likely than it did last week.

But if we’ve seen anything over the last couple of years, it’s that this whole Brexit process has a habit of developing in unexpected ways.

DrJ

The current HoC has sat idly by for 3 years now !! They had many opportunities to end the charade one way or another and failed at every turn. All Boris (or whoever) has to do is continue stalling, preventing debate, abusing our outmoded parliamentary procedure, and his job is done. Simples.

binners

apparently is a singularly charmless individual once you get to know him

His own aide said of him

“everyone loves Boris, apart from those who know him”

I expect the upcoming leadership election will be a game of ‘my Brexit is harder than yours’ as they all queue up to out-Farage farage, while anyone sane looks on in horror

DrJ

This should be played on a loop on all major TV channels:

scud
    Free Member

@taxi25 that was the problem, all the EU nationals i work with that applied for the forms to be able to vote did not receive them in time, seems to be a large internal cock-up by the Electoral Commission

DrJ

a large internal cock-up by the Electoral Commission

Funny how all the cock-ups – disenfranchising EU voters, Windrush, deporting or imprisoning foreign students – seem to impact the same group of people. Coincidence?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Yup. We’re talking about people who’ve lived here, paid taxes here and who have integrated into British life incredibly successfully having had their entitlement to vote withdrawn without warning. It’s not right, nor is it acceptable.

Cougar

It’s been said (here) that Boris has no chance of being put forward because almost everyone in government hates him.

I’ve just had the horrible thought that given the current political landscape and brexity leadership essentially being a poisoned chalice, I wouldn’t put it past the shower of shitweasels to nominate him out of sheer spite just for the opportunity to watch him burn.

scud
    Free Member

Watch Boris burn? can i bring marshmallows instead of the usual STW biscuits?

chewkw
    Free Member

Woohooo! PM May is going!

Another Weak PM bites the dust!

Did not see the other thread …

grimep
    Free Member

It’s been said (here) that Boris has no chance

Well apart from the fact he’s the number one choice among the Cons.

Have you noticed that things said *here* on a political theme are a little bit, what’s the word… studenty?

binners

Its started already

All the senior Tories seem to be saying that whoever is elected must go off to Brussels and tell Johnny Foreigner what’s what. Looks like a cake-and-eat-it, unicorn-based Brexit is very much back on the agenda.

Its like the last 3 years never happened for these clowns

God help us!

El-bent
    Free Member

Have you noticed that things said *here* on a political theme are a little bit, what’s the word… studenty?

Ha. Not much different than whats been coming out of the mouths of brexiter politicians and their supporters.

chewkw
    Free Member

Well apart from the fact he’s the number one choice among the Cons.

They can put a mouse as PM to Brexit (NO deal) and the mouse will go down in history as the greatest PM ever … well after the previous greatest British PMs.

Go against the Referendum as a PM then s/he should be fired. Simples.

phiiiiil

all the EU nationals i work with that applied for the forms to be able to vote did not receive them in time

Or, even worse IMO, they received letters saying that they did not need to do anything else… only to be told, too late, that they in fact did.

It’s a cock up that they knew about in advance but did nothing to stop. Utterly shameful.

Then for the Electoral Commission to say that unless you can prove the result would have been different otherwise, you can’t even do anything about it! It’s absolutely rotten to the core.

Cougar

Or, even worse IMO, they received letters saying that they did not need to do anything else… only to be told, too late, that they in fact did.

I’m not one for conspiracy theories, but does anyone find this “mistake” awfully convenient?

Has a figure been attached yet to exactly how many EU nationals were eligible to vote and couldn’t?

Yay democracy.

Del

Well apart from the fact he’s the number one choice among the Cons

Have you not noticed that the often thought front runner rarely gets the job?

PJM1974
    Free Member

but does anyone find this “mistake” awfully convenient?

Yup.

It’s an indication of just how far down the pan we’ve gone.

kimbers

Yep colleague in work who’s from Italy sent her form off in time but was told at polling station it hadnt been received, her husband’s Irish & he had no probs.

Lived, here & worked in a cancer research lab & paid taxes for 8 years.

I suspect incompetence rather than conspiracy tho.

So who’s the next PM that’s gonna be chewed up & spat our by the insanity that is Brexit?

Putin must be laughing his socks off right now!

mattyfez

Anyone know how to apply for an Irish passport/duel citizenship and what’s involved?
    My late grandad on my mother’s side was Irish, so I belive I’m eligible.. I’m not sure if he became British though…

kerley
    Free Member

I suspect incompetence rather than conspiracy tho.

I would err in that direction. My wife (Belgian lived in UK since 60’s) sent hers off and got polling card about a week ago. Fairly tight getting it a week ahead so a lot of opportunity for people not to get their in time.

binners

Putin must be laughing his socks off right now!

He’ll hardly be alone there. At the moment we’re the international equivalent of this…

And electing a preening, self-serving buffoon like Boris Johnson has a certain horrible inevitability to it

dannyh
    Free Member

And electing a preening, self-serving buffoon like Boris Johnson has a certain horrible inevitability to it

As I have seen him described just now – “The thinking man’s idiot and the idiot’s thinking man”.

Spot on.

Bit of PG Wodehouse artifice, a smattering of utterly pointless latin and a xenophobic ‘gaffe’ and a lot of the ‘great’ british public will fall for it…..

P-Jay
    Free Member

If anyone is looking for some light in the darkness.

I’m reading that Voter turn-out was higher than average in Remain areas, where as in Leaver areas it was lower.

The Labour voting, Leaving areas saw the biggest drop in turn-out.

Source, Robert Peston on Twitter

PJM1974
    Free Member

Thank you P-Jay, I sincerely hope that you are correct. If you are, I owe you a pint.

doomanic

@grimep what do think a new pro-Brexit PM will achieve that TM couldn’t?

PrinceJohn

Higher-than-expected turnout in Cornwall for Euro elections – 41.4%, with a total 175,475 votes cast yesterday.

Good turn out in Cornwall apparently.

dannyh
    Free Member

It also appears that one of the EU nationals, who filled in all the paperwork correctly, but was denied the chance to vote was the Europe Director of Amnesty International!

I refer STW to the Laurel and Hardy picture above.

Laughing stock, I’m afraid. Maybe we deserve Blo-Hard.

MSP

So Boris has stated that the UK will leave in October, deal or not.

I think he is hoping he doesn’t make it to the membership vote, that the mp’s see him off in the early rounds. He knows he can’t deliver, he needs someone else to eat the shit sandwich before he takes over, a patsy he can blame it on.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Seem a few commentators on Twitter are saying that if Labour come out badly from yesterday vote, Corbyn won’t see Xmas as leader. I don’t know about that, he’ll have to resign mind you, his followers have got Labour tied up.

MSP

his followers have got Labour tied up.

This is rather overstated, he has lost most of those that carried him to power over his brexit non-stance.

Cougar

So Boris has stated that the UK will leave in October, deal or not.

Indeed. And so it begins.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-no-deal-uk-eu-talks-theresa-may-conservative-leader-resigns-a8928876.html

As I said earlier, be careful what you wish for. Gods help us all.

cookeaa

So JRM is backing BoJo, make of that what you will. To me it indicates the fix is already in, Boris lands the job and Moggy and his ERG chums will be taking turns operating their new puppet.

Everyone strap in, it’s going to be a rough ride.

kerley
    Free Member

@grimep what do think a new pro-Brexit PM will achieve that TM couldn’t?

You don’t expect an answer do you? Just get over it, you lost – No deal will be great etc,.

Viewing 40 posts - 67,761 through 67,800 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.