Viewing 40 posts - 66,041 through 66,080 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Del

Corbyn’s body language says it all in that picture. He wants to be our leader? He’s going to have to learn to talk to people who don’t share his view…

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Not that I like Nancy Pelosi that much, her world view has more logical inconsistencies than May. She strikes me as a fairly nasty American exceptionalist….whilst I agree with Israel’s right to exist, she has been putting pressure on Ireland for some of their pro-palestinian legislation and at the same time lecturing us about the GFA. She’s a careerist and not a nice one to boot, who is trying to please both the democratic Irish and Israeli lobby. Hopefully the Irish and the British realise that the yanks are no friends of either of us, despite their incessant harking on about being of Irish/Scottish/English/Italian stock etc.

Northwind

“Del

Subscriber

Corbyn’s body language says it all in that picture.

Is there any chance we could stop trying to read body language from a single picture? It’s Ed Miliband’s sandwich all over again. Except in this case, he just seems to be… sitting?

Here’s another picture in which Pelosi looks like she’s being told off in the headteacher’s office.

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2019/04/14/23/corbyn-pelosi-5.jpg?w968h681What do you want to read in this one?

mattyfez

Is there any chance we could stop trying to read body language from a single picture? It’s Ed Miliband’s sandwich all over again. Except in this case, he just seems to be… listening.

Very good point actually…

There’s the also the case of the Muslim woman who was photographed ‘notulantly’ walking past the wounded on the Westminster bridge van attack on her phone.

Turned out she was actively helping the emergency services, but it’s surprising how the right wing press can take and publish a picture that looks bad when you have a digital camera taking hundreds of burst shots and you can chose one that suits your narrative.

A picture no longer says a hundred words it just says one.

kelvin

Agreed about that. The whole “look at what this carefully chosen photo says” is always a bum steer.

Interesting how a discussion about “anti-semitism and Islamophobia” alway gets turned into a more vague agreement about “racism” more generally. Even when that discussion is with a Jewish politician being quite specific.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Interesting how a direct challenge about “anti-semitism” alway gets turned into Agreement about “racism” more generally. Even when that challenge is from a Jewish politician.

Yeah, it’s one of those blah blah blah DONT YOU KNOW WHAT CORBYN STANDS FOR! moments

Hey some of us are pro peace in the middle east which involves not being a complete dick to other people.

kelvin

I edited my post to replace “challenge” with “discussion” … but then you quoted my pre-edit words … so I’m now fully expecting to be “challenged” by true believers on my original choice of words, and that’s too much effort right now.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sorry Kelvin just getting in too early, it is like some people are just keeping it ready to bring in at any moment…

Del

Just listening in a ’I’m listening to the words but could not give 2 **** sort of way?
    At least Pelosi meet with the erg and gave that **** Francois a good shoeing over the gfa anyway, according to reports.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Has everyone just given up on this now and we’re pretending it never happened?

dudeofdoom

Hollibobs for em innit, and the cans been kicked further up the road.

nickjb
    Free Member

We left. On the 12th. Remember? It was on the news. Keep telling the brexiteers that. They’ll believe it and we can get on with our lives.

Seriously though, hopefully having a bit of a break from it dominating the news will mean there is less of a push to just get on with it whatever the consequence

Del
    dazh

Anyone thinking of voting for Mike Gapes and co should probably have a read of this first 😀

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/18/change-uk-internet-politics-european-elections-party-logo

rone

Tinge will be forgotten this time next year.

I was wondering whether they are centre centre right or right centre left.

kelvin

What is the point of that McDuff beer article? It takes a logo being rejected for using a hashtag (small bit of boring news even to political anoraks) and then goes off on an empty headed tirad against the new party. I’m not planing on voting for them, and they may not be around for long… but that journalist is an utter waste of column inches.

Northwind

rone

Subscriber

I was wondering whether they are centre centre right or right centre left.

So are they.

imnotverygood

It is just an opinion piece. Although quite why daz thinks this would alter anyone’s attitude to voting for them is a question only he can answer.

MSP

This may have already been posted, and I am sure it just confirms what many already know. But strange that this is still being ignored by both main parties leadership, even when it is clearly known about.

binners

Looks like the less Brexity members of the labour party are getting pretty exasperated with Jezza’s nonchalant Brexit-enabling.

Tom Watson – Labour can’t defeat Nigel Farage by sitting on the fence

Del

Awesome, however:
    Eek

zippykona

My feelings have been that a lot of people voted to leave, they didn’t know how they were leaving but their vote should be respected.

That video above shows that no respect whatsoever  is due to the referendum result. Respecting the result is an assault on democracy.

Tear up article 50 and tell the leave puppet masters to **** off.

My Remain resolve is strengthened even more.

Tom Watson looks like the man for the job. I don’t care about his dodgy past. We can worry about that at our leisure once we are back in the E.U.

singletrackmind

Waht Toxic Grandaa was actually saying in that photo was
    ” Look , if you want to have a meeting with 14 people round a table, can we please be provided with a table that seats 14 , not 10.”

dazh

Although quite why daz thinks this would alter anyone’s attitude to voting for them

Because deapite it’s ranty style it speaks a simple truth that despite their name, they plan to change very little, have no original ideas and lack the competence which they claim is absent from the two main parties they seek to defeat. It beggars belief that people might be taken in by this vacuous rubbish.

kelvin

Well, the replacement logo is even worse. I know we’re not looking to elect designers… but they must have someone who understands messaging. It doesn’t fill you with confidence, does it… but then, look at past logo fun… a red rose that turned off non-English voters… a green tree that morphed into a Union Jack when green issues were dumped with great haste… a child on board window hanger… a vague bird… can anyone point us to a good (UK) one?

binners

Boris Johnson’s sister is standing for the Tiggers. With Rees Moggs sister standing for Farages Brexit lot, all it really does is stress even more – like we needed reminding – that politics in this country is pretty much a closed shop, which is the exclusive domain of the ‘born to rule’ entitled elite

kelvin

Did Johnson’s dad get on the list for the Tories? He said he was putting himself forward.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I have to agree on the remain vote splitting that is going on with the EU elections. It’s seems real lack of understanding of basic arithmetic.

tjagain

eu elections are list PR elections. splitting of the vote does not occur in the same way as with FPTP. one party with 40% of the vote will get the same seats as two parties with 20% each.

Yes its a bit more complex than that but with the voting system in place for euyro elections then thisa effect does not happen. IIRC thresholds for representaton in euro elections is under 10% of the vote

So long as you remember to put the tories in last place!

dissonance

Did Johnson’s dad get on the list for the Tories?

I think he failed. One Johnson was enough. Maybe he should have gone for Labour or the Lib Dems instead. Let them benefit from this great family.

molgrips
    Free Member

all it really does is stress even more – like we needed reminding – that politics in this country is pretty much a closed shop

Don’t be silly.

Go and live in Saudi Arabia for a bit, you might learn what a closed shop really is all about.

MSP

There us a massive amount of nepotism in UK politics, whether the oxbridge eating clubs on one side, or having worked for the same law firms on the other. But if you want to pretend otherwise and shout “look a Saudi squirrel” go ahead and ignore the problem.

tjagain

COMPARE THE NUMBER OF ETON AND OXBRIDGE mpS TO THE GENERAL POPULATION. GOING TO THE RIGHT SCHOOLS AND BEING IN THE RIGHT UNI SOCIETIES PLAYS A HUGE PART IN BECOMING AND mp – ESPECIALLY FOR THE TORIES AND LIB DEMS

effing capslock -sorry

anagallis_arvensis

Go and live in Saudi Arabia for a bit, you might learn what a closed shop really is all about.

Rarely post here but just feel the need to say this post is particularly stupid.

rone

https://theindependent.group

Beautifully formatted text and a lump hammer name in one ill-conceived logo.

Think they’ve got an identity crisis too.

At least UKIP had a pound sign even if it was two of the most awful colours ever put together.

mattyfez

Terrible logo, black and white.

Also looks like a non functioning bar code.

Polarising with no substance, much like thier members I suppose, so not entirely inaccurate.

I wonder how much they payed some trendy design company to come up with that.

AD

Graphics might be rubbish but at least they’re pro-EU rather than the labour party.

Northwind

I guess they’re Black Flag fans.

Viewing 40 posts - 66,041 through 66,080 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.