Viewing 40 posts - 63,121 through 63,160 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • tjagain

Pariament can revoke – its obvious. All they need to do is pass a binding motion saying the will of the parliament is to revoke. Same as Parliament forced may into asking for an extension.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This would be a massive bombshell.

All.of this just strengthens the case for voting down her deal. I expect the last ammendment on the list to be the killer one in that respect.

kelvin

Same as Parliament forced may into asking for an extension.

Did they? Or did May ask for a delay, which they tried to put some controls on, which she has chosen to use in a way that might force MPs into backing her deal or leave with no deal? The delay became essential when she moved votes on the Withdrawal Agreement into 2019… it needed passing before Christmas to be ratified and implemented by the end of next week.

grtdkad

The .Gov Petitions page crashed earlier today as >800,000 people dived in to the “Revoke Article 50” petition …

https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=241584

mickmcd
    Free Member

This would be a massive bombshell

Not if she knew and I doubt she doesn’t

Maybe

She thought no one else would twig

johnx2
    Free Member

…real time comparison of the revoke A50 vs leave with no deal petitions. Just a bit of fun:

https://brexit-petitions-count.now.sh/

(not posted yet on this page anyway)

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

cracked 900k and still rising

binners

Looks like its right what they were saying that Macron will scupper an extension to Article 50. Anyone still believe it’ll be anything other than a No Deal crash out next Friday?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’ll be amazed at any other outcome.

Life is about to get about 10 or 15% more expensive for those of us lucky enough to still be employed after this tragedy, and a whole lot less good for those on the arse end of the job losses.

kelvin

Remember how, early on in this thread, we kept asking about Ireland… only for the issue to be dismissed as having some kind of simple fix (that no one could quite articulate yet) …?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/why-brexiteers-forgot-about-the-border-1.3831635

dazh

Anyone still believe it’ll be anything other than a No Deal crash out next Friday?

After May’s deranged outburst I think it’s more likely that she’ll be dumped in a vote of no confidence and an emergency extension granted whilst a new govt is elected. The tory remainers have not yet responded to the brexiteer cabinet mutiny so think they could be holding this up their sleeve. The likes of Grieve etc will vote against May in a confidence motion before they’ll accept no deal. Next week is going to be mental.

tjagain

there are IMO 4 things that could happen now:
    1) – crash out with no deal
    2) accept the WA and have the two year transition ( which needs the short extension)
    3) revoke a 50
    4) something material changes ie second ref, GE, May steps down – then its a 2 year delay

Very hard to see which way it will go. Commons has voted down the idea of no deal and I am fairly sure the government would fall if it tried to push no deal thru.

I think in order of likelihood its options 2, 4, 3, 1

binners

Well who’d have thunk it? Looks like the EU 27 are all singing from the same hymn sheet. They’re as organised as May is chaotic.

From the Guardian site just now

UK will have to revoke article 50 or face no-deal Brexit if MPs vote down deal next week, Latvian PM says

The Latvian prime minister, Krisjanis Karins, said Britain would have to leave without a deal or revoke Article 50 if Mrs May’s deal is rejected again next week. Speaking as he arrived at the summit, he said:

If the UK is leaving we would want that to be an orderly process so there has been a withdrawal agreement agreed over a two-year period – I don’t see any chance of changing that.

So the question is will the UK accept this agreement and then it will be an orderly withdrawal? No-one wants a chaotic withdrawal.

Asked what would happen if the deal were rejected, Karins replied:

There are then two alternatives: either Great Britain withdraws article 50 and stays in the European Union or there is a disorderly withdrawal.

Anyone else enjoying the irony of ‘Taking Back Control’ now meaning being told how its going to be by the Latvian PM

If that doesn’t sum up this ‘Global Britain’ insanity perfectly, I don’t know what does

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

After reading about the petition I was all set to sign it, but seeing how fast it’s being signed I thought I’d wait and see if i could get the ONE MEEELLLEEEION.

If I’m going to get anything from Brexit, this might just be it.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584 coming up to 960,000 signatures!

tomhoward

…real time comparison of the revoke A50 vs leave with no deal petitions. Just a bit of fun:

Keep in mind that the youth tend to hang out on the internet, and sign petitions and make a noise. Gammons stay quiet and shaft you silently and anonymously in the polling booth.

Edukator
    Free Member

I think the message from the EU is clear – remain and contribute positively or **** off. Negotiations, real negotiations can then start with a clean sheet off paper. You want something? Well in that case you’re gonna have to give something in return. Enough grab, grab, grab, you can have as much cake as you want but at a fair price.

Daffy

Its a lot more than that. I’ve been waiting for my confirmation e-mail for hours. until I click the link it won’t count. I imagine many others are in the same boat.

Daffy

No more Tories, not more Labour – they’ve both been shown to be useless in governing the country and in shepherding us to an orderly conclusion to Brexit, which they both claim to honour.

We need a People’s Revolt, not a People’s Vote.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Its a lot more than that. I’ve been waiting for my confirmation e-mail for hours. until I click the link it won’t count. I imagine many others are in the same boat.

Check your spam folder

colp

Gammons stay quiet and shaft you silently and anonymously in the polling booth

So that’s why they have those screens

Daffy

The won’t want to revoke Article 50 as a temporary measure as that will incur a long delay to leaving which they’re all apparently against.

dazh

they’ve both been shown to be useless in governing the country and in shepherding us to an orderly conclusion to Brexit, which they both claim to honour.

Why do you hold labour responsible when they are not in government? This is the tories mess and no one else’s. Labour have done everything that could be expected of them. I’m really confused as to why people keep repeating this nonsense. Labour are not in power, they didn’t instigate this process, and they have no ability to stop it unless they can win support from tory remainers.

If you want to point the finger at those who have allowed this mess to unfold, you should be looking in the direction of the likes of Anna Soubry, Dominic Grieve, Ken Clarke and the rest of the tory remainers who have propped May up whilst proclaiming opposition to her deal and those in the ERG.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think in order of likelihood its options 2, 4, 3, 1

Agreed, I might argue 4,2,3,1 but that might just be wishful thinking.

I really wouldn’t be surprised if the UK ends up revoking A50, Westminster may well descend into more in-fight and blame sharing, but **** it.

olddog

I’m pretty sure that Parliament can only pass a binding motion if the Government provides the opportunity. MV3 might be that opportunity, but I think it is less likely than 2nd ref of May’s WA or remain.

I guess next week is when MPs have to make a call for something

ads678

My confirmation email took about an hour to come through. Over 985k now.

epicyclo

Petition is running at an average of 1,000+ signatures per minute

Just clocked 990,000

EDIT: over the million now

Edukator
    Free Member

Labour have done everything that could be expected of them.

Thank you, that’s the first thing on this forum today to make me laugh. I must admit that I didn’t expect better so you are absolutely right.

Pieface

What’s the point of the extension proposed by the EU? Its conditional on the WA getting voted through next week, which if it does then why do we need an extension?

Edukator
    Free Member

For those getting excited about the petition, at what point do you think it becomes significant? Less than about 18 000 000 signatures from people entitled to vote and it proves nothing to me.

dazh

I must admit that I didn’t expect better so you are absolutely right.

Care to illuminate us on how labour could have stopped brexit then? I’ve yet to hear an answer beyond the meaningless ‘show some opposition’. I’m all ears…

piha
    Free Member

Where are people thinking of joining the People’s Vote March on Saturday?

binners

Looks like the EU have had enough of the petulant child. It’s Mays Deal, No Deal or revoke article 50

Looks like No Deal then

piha
    Free Member

Care to illuminate us on how labour could have stopped brexit then? I’ve yet to hear an answer beyond the meaningless ‘show some opposition’. I’m all ears…

Could Labour have started with opposing or delaying Art 50? You know, back in March 2017. Instead of Whipping their MPs to vote it through?

kelvin

Needs more… get on it…

Stop the clock.

Plan the next steps with the UK controlling the process.

tomhoward

gah, beaten to it

dissonance

What’s the point of the extension proposed by the EU?

Its not proposed by the EU its what they are willing to give the maybot for her short extension. It is pretty meaningless although would allow some of the legislation that is needed to be passed to be done so before brexit happens.

dazh

Could Labour have started with opposing or delaying Art 50?

So you expected labour to commit electoral suicide for no end result, given they would have lost the vote even if they had opposed it?

Viewing 40 posts - 63,121 through 63,160 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.