Viewing 40 posts - 59,881 through 59,920 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Genius – May has just told parliment it was their fault it wasnt sorted out befoe Christmas.

dudeofdoom

Come March 28th, I’ll bet one of my lesser-used internal organs that May will be in Brussels begging for an extension, like a University student who’s spent the last three months consuming their own bodyweight in Diamond White and then suddenly realised that their assignment is due tomorrow and they’ve got as far as writing the title page.

Well she er does have a form for porkie pies.

I wouldn’t want to take bets on this thou.

Regardless of no-deal or may-deal her party will still be in charge so it’s a win-win for them without lifting a finger.

binners

Anything else but No Deal would involve both our political parties putting the interests of the country before their own narrow self-aggrandising, showboating nonsense and somehow managing to not act like a gang of incompetent clowns

As such, No Deal it most definitely is. No question.

I’m trying to take the positives, and all I can think is that as we dissolve into anarchy its going to be a lot of fun looking for a righteous vengeance on those who’s fault it all is…

slowoldman

No Deal = no transition period.

Oops sorry misread it. Got my deal/no-deal/unicorns mixed up.

mrmo
    Free Member

deal or no deal, there isn’t the time to pass the laws that need to be passed. So realistically an extension is needed for that reason.

kelvin

@edhornby

Gibraltarians want to stay in the UK EU

We’re screwing them over now over EU membership … and all the talk is over customs arrangements etc, which excludes them … so how exactly is the UK doing anything now that is in the interests of Gibraltar? Why would you think that it is anything but an inconvenient afterthought for our politicians back here?

kelvin

there isn’t the time to pass the laws that need to be passed

Unless all our normal democratic conventions are overturned, and the government just rules by degree, with no oversight or votes in either parliament. The powers to do this were in the bills passed to enable Brexit… and those of us that pointed that out were decried as “scaremongers” and that the powers were only theoretical, and that such an abandonment of our democratic norms would never be allowed…

ferrals
    Free Member

deal or no deal, there isn’t the time to pass the laws that need to be passed. So realistically an extension is needed for that reason.

Unfortunately, May today has said that she will fast-track them as there is no need for scrutiny.. this makes me very worried.

akira

Saw a nice idiot Facebook thread full of brexit fans talking about riots. They were simultaneously saying of course there won’t be riots if we leave we’re British and we don’t do that sort of thing but if we don’t leave then you can expect riots.

mrmo
    Free Member

Unfortunately, May today has said that she will fast-track them as there is no need for scrutiny.. this makes me very worried.

short of rubber stamping there isn’t the time, hundreds of bits of paper even without scrutiny take time to write.

As has been pointed out elsewhere the major withdrawal act has not been revealed in any form yet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

short of rubber stamping there isn’t the time, hundreds of bits of paper even without scrutiny take time to write.

I’m amazed nobody had pointed out that was likely….

mickmcd
    Free Member

As has been pointed out elsewhere the major withdrawal act has not been revealed in any form yet.

I don’t actually reckon she gives a chuff , there’s probably a masterplan we haven’t seen yet to override the lot

Wasn’t she the one trying to bring in special powers to surveillance any member of the UK population?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I don’t actually reckon she gives a chuff , there’s probably a masterplan we haven’t seen yet to override the lot

Wasn’t she the one trying to bring in special powers to surveillance any member of the UK population?

Whilst im not cynical at all, and don’t own a tin foil hat..

You have a point.

kelvin

binners

She’s been at it since the word go. If she put as much effort into finding solutions to the countries problems as she did in avoiding any scrutiny and oversight by all means possible, we wouldn’t be in this mess in the first place

Brexit was always a power grab by the executive. And she’s always acted like a tinpot dictator. All she needs is some gold epaulets and some nice shiny medals she’d awarded herself. I reckon she’d quite relish the opportunity to put troops on the streets and declare Martial Law.

PrinceJohn

These are strange times indeed – pretty sure at any other point in history, Chris Grayling would’ve resigned/been sacked by now.

PrinceJohn

Do you think we are at war with Russia?

But we don’t actually know it & they are winning?

Bazz

Quick question, does our parliamentary procedures allow the government to ask the house to vote on the same question twice? i.e. if May gets nothing new from the EU can she ask them to vote again on her deal even though it’s been rejected once already.

Thanks.

fadda

My understanding is: technically no, but anything is possible in extreme circumstances.

So yes, at the moment…

binners

My guess is she’ll knock the vote back, coming up with the usual ‘dog ate my homework’ cobblers, until 11.55pm on the 28th March

kelvin

She might wait ’till Monday the 1st April.

Which MP wouldn’t vote in favour of “any” Withdrawl Agreement that took us back under the umbrella of the EU for a period of time, in that situation? Except the ERG&DUP perhaps.

No idea if that would legally and constitutionally be possible… but that wouldn’t stop May.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

She might wait ’till Monday the 1st April.

If she doesn’t present it somebody will – if she toys with them enough that should be it for her. There are enough to force her to do something. All this BS about being strong and seeing it through must be getting a few tories riled up – especially those in remain areas. They know she is finished after March so owe her no loyalty especially if it looks like a lunatic taking over.

thepurist

Just thinking we’re getting close to the latest that a no confidence motion could be heard before its too late to change anything. I know she’d get 14 days before they need a general election, but even then there would need to be a vote to delay a50 as well, and the eu would need to agree to a delay. With the eu summit on 22 March I guess that means a successful no confidence vote before the end of February otherwise she can just ride the burning wreck into the ground.

mrmo
    Free Member

not quite sure what to say. illegal to pass the legislation, without passing more legislationn first, and no time.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So it’s back to crash out or stay? That makes a bit of a difference. What chance of election do you have as a tory with reports of food shortages and medicine rations? Massive hit to the pound and more?

mickmcd
    Free Member

Anyone thought about what they’re going to do in the event of no deal

mickmcd
    Free Member

Even the news aren’t leading with brexit no more

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Honestly I have permanent residency back in Oz for a few more years, if it gets dicey that is an option. I will be seeing what goes on with work and how it effects out clients and hence my work.

kerley
    Free Member

Carry on as now. Pay a bit more for stuff that is imported but other than that nothing for me to worry about. Clearly many won’t be that lucky.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’ve figured out what Leadsom’s superpower is.

Complacency. She just bleats, her stupid gerbil eyes peering out and genuinely thinking she’s ‘got it’, she knows what is going on.

She’s utterly inept, as is May and they are being marched (along with the rest of us) to the cliff edge by a bunch of political lightweights who have been emboldened by being allowed to get away with too much for too long.

DrJ

Yes – will have to find out about booking plane tickets so I can visit my wife (damned forriner) on the weekends.

DrJ

I’ve figured out what Leadsom’s superpower is.

Complacency.

That seems to be a defining characteristic of the May government. Grayling is the best example, his silly grinning face on the front of a totally empty skull.

DrJ

My guess is she’ll knock the vote back, coming up with the usual ‘dog ate my homework’ cobblers, until 11.55pm on the 28th March

I think that’s been clear for a while – using the dysfunctional procedures of our moribund parliament to prevent any proper discussion of alternatives or decision in a rational way. I’m almost hoping for a no deal so the whole f’ing place burns down.

Sandwich

The Maybot has form when it comes to tight deadlines. DRIPA 2014 was rushed through in the same manner as she’s trying to rush the WA through..

Edukator
    Free Member

So Britain’s negociator has totally lost sight of the fact he needs the unanimous agreement of 27 countires to extend Art. 50 and I can think of a couple who have good reason to not play ball unless bribed. Dick.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and that an extension needs the UK to either get rid of red lines or cough up something else.

Cougar

I’m afraid that idiots have been given examples of specious reasoning to justify their idiotic conclusions – glib phrases like “well, it’s just a theory”

“Project Fear”

Dave down the pub’s problem is invariably he does not have the intellect or educative experience to appreciate what a dumbf*** he is on a subject or how useless his source material is.

Well documented.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Saw a nice idiot Facebook thread full of brexit fans talking about riots.

Let them. It’ll be about a dozen gammons shouting at people until opening time.

Brexit was always a power grab by the executive.

Of course. Demonstrably by the fact that the first thing the Tories did post-referendum was fall into a court case to attempt to usurp power from parliament. “Take back control.”

dantsw13

Re delaying A50 – if Europe won’t agree a delay, we can revoke & re-trigger.

Viewing 40 posts - 59,881 through 59,920 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.