Viewing 40 posts - 57,681 through 57,720 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Epicyclo, isn’t the monarchy yours anyway since it was a Stuart who decided to unify the crowns and a Stuart who signed the acts of union? Really we’re your subjugated neighbours not the other way around, it’s just the weather is better in London and it’s closer to France.

binners

Looks like Jezza’s confidence motion is predictably a non-event as the result is a foregone conclusion.

Best get used to it, I suppose. We can expectt 2 or 3 a week for the forceeble future

SamB
    Free Member

Erm.

1) assumes that the current crop of morons go pleading on all fours kissing every EuroMPs left nipple at the same topic me apologising profusely.

Not true. The UK can unilaterally revoke Article 50 and go back to exactly the same legal position it was in before invoking A50, including veto, rebates, etc. We will have burnt any/all goodwill, but we can recover to the same legal position.

Good luck getting any preferential treatment in future though!

epicyclo

willard
    …The Queen has no real power and only really serves as a figurehead…

I used to believe that too. A nice cuddly mummy figure with our best interests at heart.

But I learned it was bollocks when I was living in Australia and the elected govt was dismissed by the Queen on 11th Nov 1975. Ever since then I have been anti-monarchist.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s normal for a country to want to run its own affairs rather than have their next door neighbour do it for them…

You mean the UK and Europe? Where like Scotland is part of the UK and is represented in the UK Parliament sonpart of the overall decision making process?

epicyclo

dangeourbrain
    Epicyclo, isn’t the monarchy yours anyway since it was a Stuart who decided to unify the crowns and a Stuart who signed the acts of union?…

The Jacobites would claim last the legitimate Stuart was driven out of power by our Dutch conquerors in 1688.

Personally, I think Cromwell had the right idea for dealing with the Stuarts.

dannyh
    Free Member

Looks like Jezza’s confidence motion is predictably a non-event as the result is a foregone conclusion.

Which just wastes another day.

Tick……tock…..

Crunch time soon. Going to have to tell the Brexies they were wrong and are going to be ignored for the purposes of this issue.

It is that or an economic and social catastrophe. It was always going to be this way, we could have made this decision a day after the referendum to be honest.

Klunk
    Free Member

…The Queen has no real power and only really serves as a figurehead…

just by being queen she keeps the tories in power, as Sinn Fein refuse to take their seats being all republican and that.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

But I learned it was bollocks when I was living in Australia and the elected govt was dismissed by the Queen on 11th Nov 1975. Ever since then I have been anti-monarchist.

Governor general did that, not the queen and whilst arguably poorly done it was too solve the sort of shutdown for which Trump’s USA is now becoming well known.

Also technically he only *really* dismissed the PM from that role (which they occupy at the request of the Gov. Gen) and appointed another, Frazer, who passed the appropriations then requested to dissolve the Govt for an election of both houses, a request which was granted.

The Queen disolves our govt. in the same way, hence the pm going to buck house to request a GE, but hasn’t really got the power to dismiss it though at this point i sort of wish she did.

athgray
    Free Member

Epicyclo
    The Jacobites would claim last the legitimate Stuart was driven out of power by our Dutch conquerors in 1688.

Oh no, surely not the 17th century again.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s normal for a country to want to run its own affairs rather than have their next door neighbour do it for them…

Don’t start this bollocks again. Scotland is part of the UK, and the UK manages its own affairs, therefore so does Scotland. End of story.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Now would be a great time for Argentina to grab back the Falkland islands..
    Just to prove that we are pretty much a powerless gobby little nation. The EU would just us a big collective Gallic shrug and laugh.

BoardinBob

Quite how the British public believed a single word of these morons is frankly astonishing.

Because, and I know we’re not meant to say it, massive swathes of the electorate are down right thick. A vast amount are ignorant. A vast amount simply don’t care or understand the issue in question

mickmcd
    Free Member

Just watching a gammon on TV literally jumping up and down on the spot…pointing at the floor saying….I don’t want to be here in Europe….I’m unsure if he thinks leave means him being teleported to the land of milk and honey…

It was **** hilarious

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Now would be a great time for Argentina to grab back the Falkland islands..
    Just to prove that we are pretty much a powerless gobby little nation. The EU would just us a big collective Gallic shrug and laugh.

Ah yes, a few French built exocet missiles sinking some royal navy boats would be sure to help placate the europhobic masses too.

mickmcd
    Free Member

It’s interesting to see from 2 years ago maybot at least looked human ..now she looks like a grey worn out shell

Kuenesburger is now admitting it’s difficult to come up with new ways to say the exact same thing a different way

dannyh
    Free Member

Because, and I know we’re not meant to say it, massive swathes of the electorate are down right thick. A vast amount are ignorant. A vast amount simply don’t care or understand the issue in question

I’m not quite sure why we’re not meant to say it. The gammons are the ones who bleat about freedom of speech the most at the moment, so they shouldn’t have a problem with it.

tjagain

The reason people believe the lies is down to a 30 year anti eu propaganda campaign waged by a few non UK resident newspaper owners

nickc

waged by a few non UK resident newspaper owners

And both political parties when it’s suited them

tjagain

Nickc
    I don’t remember labour ever blaming the eu
    Got an example?

binners

Corbyn’s wasted another day! Hurray! Well done Jezza!

The head of the CBI is just on channel 4 news saying No Deal will be a catastrophe, and article 50 needs to be revoked if this isn’t sorted immediately, and the head of Ford is utterly scathing about this ‘shambles’ and a inability of Parliament to actually govern

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Were you not bashing him for not calling no confidence votes last week?

MSP

He would probably have won it in December, now that mays deal has been defeated, it allowed the DUP and ERG to line up behind her.

binners

I was berating him for his last pointless no confidence vote in the prime minister, instead of the government, which he predictably lost, like today. He could have possibly won that one but he bottled it

One day he might actually do something useful, but I’ll not hold my breath

He’ll have at least one a week now, all of which he’ll lose. But he’ll waste a lot of Parliamenty time

There’s stuff at the bottom of my salad drawer with more political acumen

rone

He’s following their procedure.

DrJ

Were you not bashing him for not calling no confidence votes last week?

That was last week. You expect consistency?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was berating him for his last pointless no confidence vote in the prime minister, instead of the government, which he predictably lost, like today. He could have possibly won that one but he bottled it

If he didn’t win today he would not have won that one. He needed a proper tory revolt to happen. Roll on the next step, if you think Corbyn just wasted time take a look at the experts on the other side, they hold the power, set the timetable and make the rules.

Edukator
    Free Member

I don’t remember labour ever blaming the eu

I’m not sure it’s blaming but Labour has claimed the EU stops the British government providing aid to business and privatising which is clearly not the case as the government has helped a mass of companies who have provided inward investment with tax breaks and direct help, and bailed out banks by privatisation.

Google doesn’t help much but as it’s a case of trying to prove a negative… .

MSP

oh labour have played the “blame foreigners” game when it suits them, not nearly as much as the tories, but they have panderd to prejudice when they should have been fighting it, for their own political gains.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1553710/British-workers-for-British-jobs-says-Brown.html

Edukator
    Free Member

Remarkable (and surprising) lucidity from Cameron at the end of that article.

dannyh
    Free Member

Jeez. I’ve just seen Ruddy Amber being interviewed and it was painful like watching a pre-schooler trying to work out which lie to tell and when after the discovery of a broken vase.

Her little, little brain just cannot cope with trying to process what she wants to say against what she has to say and what she definitely can’t say…..unless someone else has already said it, in which case she might be able to hint at it. But only if she clears it first.

The Beeb correspondents are only just managing to keep a lid on their distain now, and it shows.

epicyclo

dangeourbrain
    Governor general did that, not the queen and whilst arguably poorly done it was too solve the sort of shutdown for which Trump’s USA is now becoming well known.

Also technically he only *really* dismissed the PM from that role (which they occupy at the request of the Gov. Gen) and appointed another, Frazer, who passed the appropriations then requested to dissolve the Govt for an election of both houses, a request which was granted…

The Governor-General is the Queen’s representative and he consulted with her. He used her powers, he has none of his own to do that.

And dismissing a PM from a majority party and replacing him with the leader of the opposition party is hardly just a technicality.

The Queen may dissolve our govt in a similar manner because she is the one with power to do so, but here she does so by following the lead of parliament.

With the Brexit impasse looming, can you imagine the queen replacing Theresa May with Jeremy Corbyn without an election or prior approval of the majority of the house?

athgray

Oh no, surely not the 17th century again.

Don’t blame me for that, dangeourbrain started it. 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

Vive la République !

colp

There’s stuff at the bottom of my salad drawer with more political acumen

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg

colournoise

Can we stop the puns already, ‘cos you’ll only have all the Romainers moaning about the thread being derailed by all these little gems.

dissonance

That was last week. You expect consistency?

Nah they are consistent. Whatever Corbyn does is wrong. Really a fine example of the anti Corbyn cult who are about the only ones in modern politics who make the brexiteers (okay a lot of overlap here) and momentum look sensible and down to earth.

binners

Not really a cult to point out that the totally useless bloke is actually totally ****ing useless. I think all but the most deluded Momentumite must be coming to that belated conclusion

We’re in a mess! And he has to shoulder a lot of the blame for that

There hasn’t been an opposition party worthy of the name for the last 3 years.

From going AWOL during the referendum onwards, all he’s done is facilitate Brexit for the Tories

It’s all he’s done today.

She ASKED him to table a vote of no confidence, he stupidly obliged, and she got the awkward squad to fall into line behind her. She had the arch-brexiteers and the remainders standing up to offer her support instead of disappearing into committee rooms to either plot against her or try and find a way out of this shitstorm

Clueless! Utterly clueless!

He’ll do the same again before next weeks out! Guaranteed! Put your house on it!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

He’ll do the same again before next weeks out! Guaranteed!

Yep Ireckon another 2 or 3 times, there will be tory rebels of the DUP will flip when they realise they are not getting what they want.

How does the great political thinker binners conclude we end the stale mate?

ransos
    Free Member

Not really a cult to point out that the totally useless bloke is actually totally ****ing useless. I think all but the most deluded Momentumite must be coming to that belated conclusion

Yet you weren’t bothered enough to join Labour and vote against him. All mouth and no trousers.

Viewing 40 posts - 57,681 through 57,720 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.