Viewing 40 posts - 55,081 through 55,120 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Houns

Feeling the strength and stability

theotherjonv

Good point just made …..

Last week this deal wasn’t negotiable and it was this or no deal.

Yet now the vote on it should be delayed so she can go back and renegotiate it?

Houns

Absolute laughing stock

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

To be fair I think I’ve walked out of meetings like that wondering why people didn’t spot it as I said it confidently…..
    But you know it’s only a matter of time before it gets found out. At least some MP’s have found a spine today

BruceWee

Good point just made …..

Mm, so you’re saying there are some inconsistencies in what she’s saying.

I’d never noticed that before. I’ll keep a close eye on what she says from now on. Perhaps there will be more inconsistencies.

thecaptain
    Free Member

theotherjonv, or no brexit 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

strong and stable has sent the pound into freefall

jimdubleyou

jam-bo

Absolute laughing stock

if only it was funny…

mefty
    Free Member

Mm, so you’re saying there are some inconsistencies in what she’s saying.

There are inconsistencies in what everyone is saying.

Corbyn is saying there is no point in delaying because the EU won’t renegotiate, but then blithely carries on and explains how he plans to renegotiate.

Vince Cable is telling Corbyn to put forward a no confidence vote when it is in his power to do it.

Likewise, Nicola Sturgeon is saying much the same, but could get one of her MPs to do it for her.

GrahamS

The full Andy Serkis video is on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucJ6RPez06s

molgrips
    Free Member

Corbyn is saying there is no point in delaying because the EU won’t renegotiate, but then blithely carries on and explains how he plans to renegotiate.

Corbyn’s starting from a different place tho. Their tests rule out anything but a soft Brexit don’t they? So they can got for Norway+ or whatever.

Instead of ‘we need to leave the single market and CU, how can we keep the Irish Border open?’ they are saying ‘we need to keep the Irish Border open, which will mean staying in the CU and SM, so what’s the best we can do on FoM?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Vince Cable is telling Corbyn to put forward a no confidence vote when it is in his power to do it.

Likewise, Nicola Sturgeon is saying much the same, but could get one of her MPs to do it for her.

Would make sense for the leader of the opposition to be the one to do that. He should have the first opportunity to put that forward. No inconsistency in those statements

kelvin

Mefty, mefty, mefty… >sigh<

binners

A good article on Jezza’s ‘policy’ on Brexit. If its not too insulting to our collective intelligence to refer to it as that

It’s crunch time for Labour. Empty posturing on Brexit will no longer do

The EU could not have been clearer or more unbending on this point since the vote in 2016 (and long before). The only way to get frictionless trade with the single market is not by forging “a new and strong relationship” with it, as Corbyn writes, but by being in it, as we are now. Equally, you cannot hope to leave the EU and simultaneously retain “a British say in future trade deals” done by the EU. To argue otherwise is to offer the same cake-and-eat-it, unicorn-filled impossibilism peddled by Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg. That it comes with a red rosette on its lapel does not make it any less dishonest. Which is why even one of Corbyn’s most senior shadow cabinet colleagues told me the leader’s article was “poor”, while its central claim – that there is some new, alternative, backstop-free deal just waiting to be negotiated with Brussels by Labour – is “nonsense”.

thecaptain
    Free Member

EU says the deal is fixed by May’s red lines, not that they won’t reach a different deal with a different set of red lines.

But you knew that and were just trying to obfuscate.

Klunk
    Free Member

the Tories can’t keep ol’ weak and wobbly on now

thecaptain
    Free Member

binners, it doesn’t matter what Corbyn’s position is, he is not PM. He could be a better leader of the opposition, true. But May is the PM actually controlling this shitshow.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the Tories can’t keep ol’ weak and wobbly on now

Problem is they are in minority at this point the DUP are gone, so could a new leader survive a vote of no confidence?

ransos
    Free Member

There are inconsistencies in what everyone is saying.

Is that the best defence you can come up with?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And a quick reminder to make sure you are registered up to date
    https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

mefty
    Free Member

EU says the deal is fixed by May’s red lines, not that they won’t reach a different deal with a different set of red lines.

For all intents and purposes, Corbyns red lines will have the same effect – he wants to stop freedom of movement.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Starting to here the words inevitable along with second referendum on various news programs today. Getting very hard to see a way forward.
    Put up or shut up time for the Brexiters.

tjagain

Its easy for the SNP and others to say that labour should go for a confidence vote. However for labour its a vote they can only push when they are sure it will pass – and the DUP have said they will back May in a confidence vote and its highly unlikely significant numbers of tories would vote “no confidence”. Winning in a confidence vote strengthens May a lot. Labour cannot risk losing it.

molgrips
    Free Member

he wants to stop freedom of movement.

You could argue your way round that. Simply by imposing some restrictions on ‘free movement’ you could tick that box.

dannyh
    Free Member

Thank god that the grown ups have been behind the scenes all along….

Oh no, hang on a minute. No grown ups were available to actually deliver an impossible fantasy to a load of tosspots. Grown ups being in short supply when it comes to implementing something childish.

I didn’t actually think we, as a ‘nation’ could make ourselves look any more stupid, but it turns out we can.

Go us!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Time for some hard ball, some tough stances, to stand up for what we believe in and out values… Said the EU

BruceWee

https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1072195021552738310

I’m assuming it has something to do with cake.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I heard some of that lot on the radio. To pick some classics
    Of course he wants to tell you we need a second referendum, he wants one
    May didn’t play our strongest cards in the negotiations
    It was her fault she didn’t get the right deal – despite being told by the presenter it was claimed to be the easiest deal in history
    Despite being told the EU said no more talk, she was confident there would be a better deal – it’s what people voted for….
    We won’t ask them again, they voted for it (repeat to fade)

BoardinBob

A waste of taxpayer money for May to even bother flying out there tomorrow

£100k wasted on Facebook adverts in the last week trying to sell May’s deal

Why the **** are they even prolonging this? When does a “grown up” put their hand on May’s shoulder and say “enough”. Has any PM in history clung onto power for so long while being so staggeringly useless?

doomanic

We need not so much a “grown up” at this point as a Guy Fawkes.

Northwind

Fair play, Rizzle Kicks are the shittest band I’ve ever seen at a festival- and I’ve made some questionable choices- but I think Mr Rizzle there has found his calling

dogbone

Channel 4 news this evening – Did I really hear that Northern Ireland costs the Uk more than our membership of the EU? Mind blown if correct.

mattyfez

If you include the £one billion bribe to the DUP? 😉

MSP

I would expect government spending in pretty much all regions to outstrip the EU budget. Last year EU contribution was 9 billion, crossrail cost 16 billion, heathrow expansion estimated at 14 billion, hs2 56 billion.

Only one of those things benefits the whole nation.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-parliaments-46506969?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5c0ed333d3f33d066517423e%26Corbyn%20makes%20emergency%20debate%20application%262018-12-10T21%3A06%3A07.477Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:a102f572-1f1e-4b5c-8328-a67cfd25dfc4&pinned_post_asset_id=5c0ed333d3f33d066517423e&pinned_post_type=share

Jeremy Corbyn says he would like to apply for an emergency debate on the prime minister’s decision to delay the vote on the Brexit deal.

The way the government intends to call off the vote – without allowing MPs a say – shows a “disregard for Parliament”, he adds.

Ministers are “avoiding a vote on a change of business as they fear they do not command a majority”, he says.

Theresa May has also not given a time when the vote will take place, he says.

Back again for 3 hours in the morning to debate the postponement of the vote.
    I don’t think I’ve seen so much anger from both sides before, one meek little backbench MP reading from the provided card. A brexit secretary who can only read from the approved script despite how ridiculous his answers sound. Meanwhile a PM in off to say

mattyfez

The commons vote should be forced, I agree with that, canceling is an abuse of process. And she’ll only come back with the same deal, the EU is consistent.

Klunk
    Free Member

Northwind

The speaker was raging too- basically order of business turned upside down and instead of announcing it properly the tories decided to leak it to the press, meaning that sitting MPs who were in the debate were pretty much the last to find out. The whole thing’s obviously incompetent and cowardly but that in particular is just douchbaggery.

dannyh
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 55,081 through 55,120 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.