Viewing 40 posts - 52,401 through 52,440 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Now the RLF (Religious Loony Fringe) of Ulster won’t support Mays’ deal plan.

Cliff edge a bit closer.

Tick tock.

binners

There’s really only one question to ask these delusional brexiteer half-wits…

seriously… WTF did you think was going to happen?

Pretty depressing thinking the countries economic future is now going to be devasted on the say-so of a handful of creationist headbangers who’ve got this gang of raging incompetents by the short and curlies

Northwind

I actually saw a post today that said “the main point of the GFA was to introduce power sharing, and power sharing isn’t working so why not just abandon it since it’s obviously not important”. Sometimes, i just don’t even know how to don’t know.

Cougar

Which is? When it comes to Brexit? Deliver the undeliverable? Or knowingly walk the country into a powerless cul de sac? Or rip up all Ireland measures of the GFA? Bring goods transit to a crawl?

Or do none of those things and act in the best interests of the country.

binners

Well at least we all now know how next summers going to be looking. Hot.

dannyh
    Free Member

This has it about right.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/08/dominic-raab-britain-island-ignorance-brexit-secretary

Being reasonable and having the best interests of the country at heart, and being a Leaver are mutually incompatible. Always have been, always will be.

Even the **** in the Tories can’t pretend any more. The only people who can be seriously in favour of this colossal turd are the short sellers and smash and grab merchants who want to make an overnight killing and piss off to the Virgin Islands for the rest of their lives.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Bit of an update, i have been doing a bit of a participation on a very different blog over the last month and ….

Brexitters

1. They are on the whole as we have established not very good at hard evidence, data, understanding the implications, spotting propaganda etc.

2. This is not about wealth or security, they just dont like us liberal, lefty snowflakes because we have persecuted them with the assistance of the  elites and the EU.

3. In summary they are poorly educated, easily led and you could get them all to go to war with the EU in a heartbeat.

There is no hope for this country, it will take too long to breed them out.

Flaperon

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it’s that simple. Many people are resentful at paying taxes and they perceive liberals as out to take their money off them. With the EU being broadly left wing, I’m not at all surprised that they see it as a personal attack.

The same stunningly selfish pepple who get angry when they’re behind a cyclist; or whom consider the environment theirs to destroy, are unlikely to support any policy that doesn’t benefit them personally.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

His job is to look after Transport. Quitting just sets that back.

And he can also try to argue his case on Brexit from the inside.

thecaptain
    Free Member

He’s not allowed to vote or speak against govt policy as a minister though. I’m sure he was genuine in looking for a realistic brexit, just a bit slow on realising that there isn’t one.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m sure he was genuine in looking for a realistic brexit, just a bit slow on realising that there isn’t one.

Makes you wonder how many MPs are just totally **** thick, though, doesn’t it?

I mean, being brought up ‘traditionally’ my first instinct with people like MPs, judges, doctors and the like is that they are ‘proper grown ups’ and must be there entirely by merit and must be above average intelligence. More and more I am being forced to question this.

How can anyone who ‘does’ politics for a job think Brexit or any of the brown shades of Brexit be good for the UK?

binners

I’ve just posted this in another thread but i’m Putting it on this one because I’ve just finished reading Stuart Maconies brilliant “Long March from Jarrow’ today and, like him, i’m Seething with anger at the present Labour Party and the totally ineffectual idiot at the helm …

Another resignation over Brexit . And with a statement from the leading protagonists brother pointing out what everyone what anyone with anything between their ears has been saying for the last two years

And where’s the Labour Party? HM Opposition? Anyone……?

The silence is deafening

Corbyn and the rest of his ****ing useless incompetent cabal will get what they’ve always really wanted… their hard Brexit, and the deluded, terminally dense, placard-waving Momentum members will get what they really didn’t want, but they got anyway through supporting these anti-EU zealots they think of as revolutionaries. Oh they’re revolutionaries alright you ****-wits. It’s just the polar opposite of the revolution you had in mind

They’ll probably still think it’s absolutely bloody brilliant though, because… you know … Jeremy

We’re truly ****ed! And those that are apparently on the left are as utterly complicit in this as the hard right!

I really do truly ****ing despair!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

A confederacy of dunces.

At this moment in our national journey, the government makes much more sense when you realise it can only be a massive hidden-camera simulation designed solely to amuse the occupants of a distant planet. Clustered round a visual port somewhere in Andromeda galaxy, interconnected strings of aliens cry with laughter every week at top-rating series Big Brexit, in which the hapless denizens of a Truman-like shitshow fail to realise they are being taken for a ride by their competition-winner overlords. Every UK resident stars.”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/09/dominic-raab-brexit-government?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

slowoldman

Marina is spot on again. The ignorance of some of these buffoons is breathtaking. No wonder they can’t run the country.

phiiiiil

The silence is deafening

I don’t know what you mean, Corbyn isn’t silent at all! He’s busy telling German newspapers that brexit can’t be stopped.

He’s going to look mighty stupid if the Tories do a u-turn on a referendum and he’s left on his own with a load of ukip types.

Chocolate fireguard, teapot etcetera

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

The Der Spiegle interview referred to by phiiiiil:

Linky

Supporting Labour?

Doublethink.

That’s what you’re beginning to experience.

Doublethink.

zippykona

For months I’ve been writing to my mp moaning about the 30% chocolate tax that will be imposed on us by Geneva. I’ve gone full gammon saying that the doors of the EU prison have been sprung open only to be shackled to the  despotic WTO.

Wanting to know why unelected foreign bureaucrats can determine what price I have to charge for my goods.

I’ve used the terms taking back control. ,  treason and surrender liberally.My last letter ended with me saying that we were lied to and I am now a reluctant remainer as I  would be better off in the EU.

I feel this approach would have more effect that me just saying that I want to stay.

This week I’ve called UKIP and mentioned all the above. They seemed genuinely surprised about the tax and as they took me for a full on gammon said they would look into it and get back to me.

Subvert from within.

mattyfez

Chocolate is the least of your worries.

The UK has only about 3 days worth of raw materials to make bog roll. The materials come from Europe, Scandinavia on a JIT supply chain.

If we have a hard brexit we literally won’t be capable of wiping our own arses.

Klunk
    Free Member

though we should be ok for weetabix I have it on good authority that they are stockpiling their European supplies.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well just back from another simple and seamless work trip to the EU, this time Cork, it’s worth a look over to see how much investment is going on and how busy it is. Ads at the airport to try and temp Irish construction workers back over

The UK was the default location of the English speaking world to have an EU base due to the language and cultural similarities. Ireland is going to get those now, being in the EU is worth a lot to those companies.

winston
    Free Member

Interesting piece in the Grauniad yesterday which helped me get a bit more of a handle on our leading brexiteer, the Mogg Dogg

Selfish he is. Stupid he ain’t

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/nov/09/mystic-mogg-jacob-rees-mogg-willam-predicts-brexit-plans

kerley
    Free Member

I mean, being brought up ‘traditionally’ my first instinct with people like MPs, judges, doctors and the like is that they are ‘proper grown ups’ and must be there entirely by merit and must be above average intelligence. More and more I am being forced to question this.

Just because someone is above average intelligence does not mean they give a shit about others.  Lots of intelligent tories, they just have a different way of thinking about how society should be.

tjagain

Binners – I ask yo again what would you have Corbyn do?

Remember his party is badly split and characters like Burnham who IIRC you would have had as leader stated quite clearly ” the will of the people must be respected”  Come out for remain he immediately gets the press in full on attack mode, ditto for a second referendum and either of those positions splits the party wide open.

kelvin

What should Corbyn do? Back a call for a referendum, or step aside. He isn’t backing Brexit because he is scared of the press. He isn’t backing Brexit because a significant minority of Labour voters want him to. He is backing it because he wants it. Would A50 have been triggered without a plan, without his fervent backing? Why is he still saying Brexit is unstoppable? What else is he saying is “done” and he won’t oppose? What is his voting record as regards our place in Europe?

AD

I would have Corbyn back a second referendum. Mr ‘7.5/10’ can use his apparently considerable orator powers to help bring round any wavering voters.

Surely all the Corbyn acolytes on here have faith in his abilities to at least do that for the good of the country?

Or step aside. He can then spend the next 20 years on the back benches voting against anything he wants to and presumably be a much happier soul.

For the record I have never voted for any party other than Labour. I live in the north and work for a successful manufacturing company (although that may all be bolloxed because of the failure of people like Corbyn). I expect tories to be in for themselves – I totally get it. I don’t expect the Opposition party ‘leader’ to stand idly by while the country goes to hell. I’m still wondering which rat hole he disappeared down during the march against Brexit.

binners

Uncle Jezza – He’s a coward and a fraud who wants Brexit, the harder the better (oo-we missus!) as much, if not more than IDS and Moggy, but won’t actually come out and say so because he’s rather fond of of the adulation and cult of celebrity he’s afforded by his delusional supporters. How you/they’re squaring that particular circle is totally beyond me. It’s a total paradox! And a bloody obvious one at that

its worth reading Stuart Maconies Long March From Jarrow. It’s an incisive and brilliantly passionately researched study of the history of the working class history, and the Labour Party, viewed through the context of Brexit and the rise of ego-fuelled narcisstic populists like Trump, Farage And Corbyn (just because his politics are different doesn’t mean he is)

its a really good read. His verdict on Corbyn is thoughtful, considered and absolutely damning!

He’s weak, totally disengaged on the real issues, and his Labour Party faux-revolutionary cabal is as useless in representing the interests of the working class as the party of 1936 who watched the Jarrow Crusade with the same metropolitan contempt

Brexit will be an absolute disaster for the working classes he claims to represent, and an absolute gift to the corporatist interests of the hard right.

i expect the leader of the Labour Party to be bright enough to know that and act accodingly

Fat chance of that!

winston
    Free Member

“Brexit will be an absolute disaster for the working classes he claims to represent, and an absolute gift to the corporatist interests of the hard right.”

Which is exactly what Mogg senior wrote 20 years ago in the book mentioned in the guardian link above, though obviously he was speaking as a rampant right wing fascist so it was all good for him and the little Moggs

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I ask yo again what would you have Corbyn do?

Fek off and die

No offense.

mattyfez

Corbyn is in just as much as a ‘check mate’ as the Conservatives are.

They are all in ‘check mate’ because they are putting party politics ahead of actually doing something.

mattyfez

Let’s call the whole thing off?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Let’s face the music and dance?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Corbyn is in just as much as a ‘check mate’ as the Conservatives are.

Well the stats were in, all Labour seats support a second referendum

rone

Well the stats were in, all Labour seats support a second referendum

Really. I’m in a 68% Brexit John Mann stronghold!

What have I missed?

rone

Brexit will be an absolute disaster for the working classes he claims to represent, and an absolute gift to the corporatist interests of the hard right

Lots of them voted for it.

You can’t blame him for that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/02/majority-in-all-labour-seats-back-second-referendum-study-says

Supporting Brexit is one thing, supporting this farce that doesn’t deliver is another

thecaptain
    Free Member

Binners – I ask yo again what would you have Corbyn do?

I’d have him do what is right for the country. Old-fashioned idea I know.

rone

I just say again the hysteria over Brexit compared to the lack of noise over austerity I find disconcerting.

Austerity has been a very immediate and damaging political choice to swathes of our country but doesn’t seem to come with the same resentment as Brexit on here.

I find that tricky to understand.

rone

Supporting Brexit is one thing, supporting this farce that doesn’t deliver is another

In that guardian article they don’t link to the poll and I can’t find it on you gov.

Any ideas?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I assume your using the term Hysteria to make it sound like people are exaggerating the problems.

This will be the single most destructive thing that has happened to the UK in a very long time, the impact will make austerity look like a minor cold. The impact already has taken millions and probably billions out of the UK economy, I think at the last point it was more than contributions to the EU in a year.

It’s going to impact people for a lifetime, it’s removing rights that we have acquired over many years and the architects of the plan seem to have no idea, direction or cohesion at all. It’s being played out as a petty shitshow of tory self destruction.

The use of the words mandate and clear will of the people by liars, cheats and some close to criminal charges over the campaign make the whole thing worse. There is no clear mandate for anything and trying to force a deal through that will be bad for everyone against the clear will of the majority of the UK.

The reason this thread keep going is the sheer ineptitude of the UK government and it’s deluded fans who seem to get worse every week.

rone

YouGov used a multi-level regression and post-stratification (MRP) technique, polling 26,000 people to build up a statistical model of key demographics, including age, gender, education, race and social class. The theory is that it becomes possible to produce a model for every constituency in the country

That sounds tenuous.

Viewing 40 posts - 52,401 through 52,440 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.