Viewing 40 posts - 52,281 through 52,320 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • dissonance

The old will quite rightly look at the complaints of the young

Apart from, as already pointed out, the figures are biased against the young. Especially with the two party system we have currently. That Labour has managed to enthuse some is impressive considering last time a party actually tried to appeal to younger people as soon as they got a sniff of power they went and spat in their eyes.

Add to that the entitlement and the envy

So they are being screwed over in education, they will have less stable working conditions in which they will need to work longer and harder and still may or may not be able to purchase a house since the government is desperately trying to keep the housing market inflated to save the older generations from their own stupidity and greed. Yet they are the entitled ones?  As for envy. Well you cant really blame them for that when you have some people ending up with massive wealth purely down to their natural ability aka being born prior to the housing boom.

offspring have appreciably better and easier lives than they had when they were young.

Aside from they dont. There are some more material goods but living standards are falling.

dazh

Self perpetuating now isn’t it, get labelled as being entitled so point out that it’s not that true, get accused of blaming the old….

Not really. I think there is broad support and sympathy for the young among the old. Especially on the issue of crappy jobs, zero hours contracts/temporary work, and lack of decent welfare provision. And on housing too. Boomers recognise how lucky they were to buy their council houses at a massive discount. My parents still talk about it today as the thing they most benefitted from, but they see the solution as not removing the right to buy but quite rightly in building more housing (we’ll leave greenfield nimbyism out of it for now). It’s unsurprising though that the old will switch off if someone suggests the solution to all this is for them to pay a lot more.

Northwind

“Like polio?”

Which people looked at, saw was a fixable problem, and stomped out. If polio was still around today and these kids looked at it, saw it was a fixable problem, and said let’s stomp it out, they’d be called snowflakes.

slowoldman

If polio was still around today and these kids looked at it, saw it was a fixable problem, and said let’s stomp it out, they’d be called snowflakes.

By who?

Northwind

By the same people who rent them flats at huge prices then slag them off for wanting to buy their own homes. Polio was good enough for us! And you lot have phones, why are you complaining about polio, we never had phones. And avocados, even though actually we did have avocados too so we’re really not sure what that’s all about.

scotroutes

It’s ironic that the rose-tinted view of the past is mostly held by folk who weren’t there.

cornholio98
    Free Member

If polio was still around today and these kids looked at it, saw it was a fixable problem, and said let’s stomp it out they

would be blasted for being insensitive to polio sufferers

It would be a twitter outrage

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s ironic that the rose-tinted view of the past is mostly held by folk who weren’t there.

Sorry which bit of history are you referring too there…

molgrips
    Free Member

The boomers have undoubtedly benefitted from a massive undeserved windfall

Have they? They won’t get to see the money now tied up in their houses will they?

They grandkids will though. IF the grandparents managed to buy their own home. If they didn’t, then chances are the grandkids won’t either. With supply still too low demand remains high, which means those millennials with well off grandparents will be fine, and those without won’t. Society will keep getting more and more divided.

cornholio98
    Free Member

Have they? They won’t get to see the money now tied up in their houses will they?

You clearly don’t see all the equity release/ reverse mortgage adverts on ITV3 in between heartbeat/poirot/midsomer murders. You can be excused because of all the cruise and funeral adverts.

it looks like the winners will be the banks not the kids!

kelvin

If the younger generation want change they have to make it happen themselves by giving political parties no option but to listen to them.

Conpleteiy ignoring the demographic shift, and that many people get their first general election vote at 22. There are people who are now 20 and never got a vote in the Brexit referendum. The politicans need to listen to the old more than the young… unless they decide to genuinely govern for the whole country, and not just the older people who give them their electoral mandates.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Well yes, you use your overpriced house to buy somewhere in the sticks and then pocket the rest.

thecaptain
    Free Member

The thing is the old will support the young if they drop the chip on the shoulder it’s-all-the-fault-of-the-boomers rubbish.

Yeah, “support”. Like they did when they royally **** the young by voting for a xenophobic, backward, bigoted brexit without so much as a backward glance at those who will have to suffer the consequences. With “support” like that…

DrJ

That’s (always) the idea, isn’t it?

scotroutes

Worrying about your selfie pout certainly puts living with the constant threat of imminent nuclear annihilation into perspective. It’s just as well no one had invented “stress” and “anxiety” before the turn of the century.

slowoldman

By the same people who rent them flats at huge prices then slag them off for wanting to buy their own homes. Polio was good enough for us!…………. etc.

Who are these people Northwind? Do you know them? I think I’m the age group you talking about (if at the younger end) and I don’t recognise that character in anyone I know.

dannyh
    Free Member

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/nov/04/marr-founders-on-the-rocks-of-arron-banks-muddy-waters

Follow the money. It is bound to be difficult because the pudgy faced crook will have deliberately made the trail torturous to follow. But it can be followed.

Northwind

@slowoldman, yes I know some of these people and you can easily find them in droves online and in newspapers if you’re lucky enough to not meet any of them in person. If you read a post and think “that doesn’t seem to refer to me”, it’s not because it’s wrong, it’s probably because it’s not referring to you. Take a look around at what people throw “snowflake” at.

cchris2lou

I think he’s so arrogant and full of himself that it will be straight forward .

kerley
    Free Member

Although for more and more elderly people the care homes are the winners.

swamp_boy

Two things struck me from the Andrew Marr – Bankski interview.

If it’s true that that the £8m lent to Vote Leave came from the premiums paid by half a million insurance punters then each policyholder put £16.00 into it.  I don’t think I’m one, I’ll be well pissed off I am.

He said that he’d now vote Remain because such a mess is being made of Brexit that it won’t be worth it.  Most grown ups could see that from the start but it sounds like he knows the wheels are coming off it all, so is starting the narrative that it would all have been OK if the remoaners and traitors hadn’t sabotaged it.

Cougar

@Northwind, should our paths ever cross in ‘real life,’ remind me that I’d like to buy you a drink.

Northwind

I’m on my way

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll buy him one too.

DrJ

Two things struck me from the Andrew Marr – Bankski interview.

One thing struck me – the BBC are giving a platform to a man who is accused – and apparently with good grounds – of having subverted our democracy. If that doesn’t make Marr, literally, an “enemy of the people”, I don’t know what.

MSP

That is what has brought us to this stage, where populism is spreading across the world. The media have abdicated all responsibility in favour of ratings, allowing far too much time to insane fringe politics to spread a hateful and simplistic negative message.

dazh

That is what has brought us to this stage, where populism is spreading across the world

Same thing that brought about populism last time round. Hubristic and arrogant leaders taking the people for granted. At some point the people will wake up and strike back, and there are lots of charlatans and snake oil salesman out there ready and willing to exploit that anger. We never learn.

rone

There’s a ch4/survation programme on tonight at 8pm with a debate.

Farage will be there.

zippykona

When it goes tits up the only people the politicians can blame to save their skins are The People .

That will not end well.

cornholio98
    Free Member

That will not end well.

Why do you think some of them want s people’s vote? They can absolve themselves of responsibility!

They thought the blister and pomp the mail created for Brexit was true and launched A50 as the will of the people. Now they can see the lies and are angry at the incompetence they want to make the people responsible for the failure

kelvin

Farage will be there.

Anyone from the Greens?

SNP?

LibDems?

Doubt it.

Farrage & Banks on everything still.

Go media!

= :87(

kelvin

Good to be wrong …

kimbers

phiiiiil

No, poor things, they’ll just have to console themselves living in their massive houses in nice areas that cost them the same as a tiny one bed flat above a shop would do to a younger person now.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, poor things, they’ll just have to console themselves living in their massive houses in nice areas that cost them the same as a tiny one bed flat above a shop would do to a younger person now.

So wait – everyone born between 1945 and 1960 lives in a massive house?

If you can calm down for a moment you will realise I’m not saying EVERY baby boomer is poor, I’m simply saying that having bought a house relatively cheaply 40 years ago does not necessarily make you a fat cat.

Too much hyperbole in this kind of discussion. Does no-one any favours.  There are huge structural problems that definitely need to be fixed, but throwing recriminations around, especially at individuals as posters on here have done to slowoldman is just going to piss everyone off and entrench positions even further.

zippykona

House prices are falling in London.  This will knock on country wide.

Please feel sorry for my brexit brother in law who can’t sell his house and simply can’t believe its value doesn’t go up every month.

kelvin

I’m simply saying that having bought a house relatively cheaply 40 years ago does not necessarily make you a fat cat.

Of course not. But then, imagine that you are looking at either paying high rents into pensionable age, or borrowing X times your income to buy (possibly on top of huge debts run up during education/training)… where X is a far higher number than it ever was 40 years ago. So… high rent ’till you die, or a massive mortgage for a tiny place… oh, and politically irrelevant due to voting system/rules and demographics.

slowoldman

So you blame us because it’s clearly our fault that the system/economy/policies have changed?

kelvin

No, I think politicans should take into the account the effect their policies have on everyone in the country, not just those that got to vote in the last election/referendum.

molgrips
    Free Member

high rent ’till you die, or a massive mortgage for a tiny place

I did say that there are huge structural problems, no argument there.

It’s the blame game that isn’t quite so clever.

Viewing 40 posts - 52,281 through 52,320 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.