Viewing 40 posts - 52,081 through 52,120 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • dazh

the gammons will start to spontaneously combust on QT once they see what happens when the EU trade negotiators get going on us.

I have an ongoing debate (lasting two years now) with a colleague at work who seriously thinks that trade with the commonwealth will replace that with the EU and everything will be ok. Add to that the video above I suspect the gammons will see us not trading with the EU as a good thing.

tjagain

May is also still insisting that any backstop for NI is  time limited.  This means of course that no deal is possible as a backstop is essential to any deal and a time limited backstop is no backstop

PJM1974
    Free Member

I was at Saturday’s march, sat on a wall next to Downing St watching the crowds of people move down Whitehall.  The atmosphere was fantastic, with a huge turnout from the older generation.  I spoke with a few former Leave voters, who’ve become disillusioned with the reality of Brexit versus the politicians’ promises.  I saw people waving Labour Against Brexit placards marching next to members of Conservatives For Europe, pretty much the entire political spectrum was represented (even a few Momentum t-shirts), I can safely say that I’ve never seen so many people in one place before, or am I likely to ever see so many again.

The mood of the marchers was excellent.  I saw demonstrators making an effort to clear up rubbish and the atmosphere was very friendly – even the Police outside Downing Street were posing for selfies with the crowd.

It’s good to know that Nigel Farage’s counter demo mustered 1,400 supporters, I sincerely hope that they had a chance to rub shoulders with us and to talk to one another.#

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We travelled up from Bristol for it PJM What an awesome day. Met so many good people. Saw so many hilarious banners. Just one of those life affirming days – who knows if it’ll change anything but at least we were there. My 5 year old 😀:

EDIT: and in the distance, our #BorderAgainstBorders 😬

kelvin

Anyone buying this “last 5%” bullshit? No? Good? Carry on…

thecaptain
    Free Member

It was 90% done a year ago, so each incremental advance is taking exponentially longer….

oldnpastit

I couldn’t go to the march, as I went to the funeral of my uncle instead. He was born in Germany in the middle of the second world war, but was a life-long anglophile, studied teaching in Oxford, and married an English wife. He was a huge part of the local village life in Germany (school teacher) but often came over here – he would jump in his bright orange VW campervan (long before that was trendy and hipster) with his wife and children and come over here and tour around the country, dropping in on unsuspecting relatives. Recently they would show up with ebikes instead and cycle around instead.

He very sadly passed away in this country a few weeks ago, on his last visit here.

cornholio98
    Free Member

Anyone buying this “last 5%” bullshit? No? Good? Carry on…

Always reminds me me of the examples that humans have 95% the same genes as chimps or that all humans only differ by about 0.1%. There is a lot that goes on in the fine detail which makes a big difference.

Also agreeded is not approved or implemented.

nedrapier

And nothing is agreed until everything is agreed. It could be 99.5% agreed, but if we can’t come to a landing on the last 0.5%, there’s no agreement.  Northern Ireland has always been the most problematic part, the bit that unless a lot of people could start thinking very differently, would sink any deal, and 2 years, on, no-one’s come up with anything to make it less problematic.  Not saying NI border is 0.5%, btw!

zippykona

Dyson  really getting behind brexit Britain. ****.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45950377

Dyson said the decision was based on the availability of engineering talent, regional supply chains and proximity to some key target markets

We we used to have all that.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Sorry for the fb link, but this Robert Peston link answers something I’ve been wondering… doesn’t the “no deal” option guarantee a border in Ireland and so the EU will want to avoid it..?

The most mind-boggling paradox about the impasse over the Northern Ireland backstop is that if it leads to a no-deal…

Posted by Robert Peston on Monday, October 22, 2018

I think it’s 0% chance of 2nd referendum, and 95% chance of “no deal” Brexit.

makkag
    Free Member

dont think they make anything here though is it not all R&D ?

tjagain

No deal does mean a hard border on the island of ireland and thus means the UK has breached its commitments under the good friday ageement

AD

Dyson moved his manufacturing out of UK years ago to lower cost economies,

R and D is principally UK based. Not defending it by the way but I can see the business logic.

Still hope that the quitlings see this and start to wonder if they’ve been sold a lie by the brexit cheerleaders. I can but dream…

Imagine if Dyson said ‘I’m going to build this in the UK as I am so keen on Brexit and the deals we can do. The nature of supply chains and proximity to markets don’t bother me – its just a mere detail…’ 🙂

kelvin

The company’s founder, Sir James Dyson, has been a prominent advocate for Brexit and recently insisted that the UK leaving the EU with no deal would “make no difference”.

There we go… breaking up European supply chains will make no difference to manufacturers who rely on supply chains on the other side of the world.

binners

Dyson’s just the same as the rest of them. They spout bullshit about Britain and patriotism, but ignore their words and look at their actions instead and its glaringly obvious they couldn’t give a flying **** about the UK economy or its citizens.

They’re purely in it for themselves and what they can get out of it personally. They’re just shameless opportunists who have seen Brexit as a gold-plated opportunity to further line their already bulging pockets, and **** the consequences for ‘the little people’ left picking up the pieces (again!)

Del

Dyson has long bemoaned government’s failure to support manufacturing in this country, and while I applaud his business acumen and his investments in r&d in the UK, I’m afraid his unwillingness to invest in UK manufacturing, unlike Jag, nissan etc. belie his motives.

jond
    Free Member

“Dyson has long bemoaned government’s failure to support manufacturing in this country”

I’m not sure I’d be able to find a relevant link, but ISTR one statement from him in the last few years suggested one (main ?) issue was with employment policies – effectively the hire/fire bit wrt to production demands (ie time-varying employment requirements), and how that would have to change before he’d consider production in the UK (I guess there’s still the issue of relative cost, but the point made he made about Singapore re car production is that costs there are relatively high).

‘Course, perish the thought that anyone would want the stability of a full-time job.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Dyson is the the perfect example of an avid Brexiteer.

1. Will not invest in people only assets

2. As above does not like semi skilled workers who he has to pay a living wage and “employ”

3. Self serving git

4. I have none of his products on principal

5. He moved £1.5 billion to Malta in 2012 and pays **** all tax.

This is your future Brexiteers – polishing Dysons windows and Toilets for minimum wage (well actually they will scrap that the minimum wage) so a £1  an hour but you will get €1 exchange rate for your holidays….

Why can people not see through these ****s

zippykona

If Singapore can get an FTA why are we finding it so hard?

Cougar

If Singapore can get an FTA why are we finding it so hard?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union%E2%80%93Singapore_Free_Trade_Agreement

It was negotiated eight years ago and it’s taken until now.  Got a TARDIS handy?

Plus, y’know, they probably didn’t have nearly 200 other countries that they’d potentially need to start negotiations with all at once.

tjagain

And we can get a free trade agrement – that is clear.  Problem is it doesn’t solve the NI issue

nickjb
    Free Member

Dyson is the the perfect example of an avid Brexiteer.

1. Will not invest in people only assets

2. As above does not like semi skilled workers who he has to pay a living wage and “employ”

3. Self serving git

4. I have none of his products on principal

5. He moved £1.5 billion to Malta in 2012 and pays **** all tax.

I don’t agree with his position on Brexit (its a truly terrible idea) but he is putting forward some kind of reasoned argument. Absolutely not like your average brexiteer. You need to check your facts too. He strongly supports investing in people, employs a lot of very skilled workers and even pays a decent chunk of tax.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m old. Really old. At some point I’d love to stop hearing the phrase NI problem.

of course it won’t be long in real terms before I do…

Northwind

As an aside, I was in a wetherspoons in Manchester the other day and there was a poster in the gents telling Theresa May off for being against free trade. I thought it was pretty interesting, not so much that wetherspoons is still putting up political broadcasts, more that they assumed that if Theresa May does pop in for a large breakfast and a pint of stella, she’ll go to the gents afterwards.

On the plus side, the EDL march on the same day attracted less people than the 20th anniversary reunion of the Dust Junkys, despite being free, so I guess Manchester is doing OK

mikewsmith
    Free Member

He strongly supports investing in people, employs a lot of very skilled workers and even pays a decent chunk of tax.

Yep my dealings with his business are positive.

But I’m really feeling reassured by the latest strong government lead here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45955500

<p class=”story-body__introduction”>Ferry and freight firms will be urged to plan alternative routes for drugs and other vital supplies if a no-deal Brexit blocks cross-Channel traffic.</p>
    The suppliers will be told to use Belgian and Dutch ports if blockages at Calais threaten to delay shipments.

The plan emerged after a Cabinet meeting in which ministers were told of contingencies for a no-deal Brexit.

Earlier, MPs were warned that a no-deal could have “catastrophic” consequences for the supply of drugs into the UK.

A senior government source denied there were plans to buy or charter vessels to keep the NHS working.

Instead, private carriers would be expected to carry out their normal roles, the BBC has been told.

But there are worries among ministers and officials that the sudden introduction of border checks at Calais could cause sudden and serious backlogs.

Even if you worked for a good old 80’s council job for life you would have been shoved on for that level of crap

mrmo
    Free Member
    AD

I like the flotilla idea. It’ll be just like Dunkirk. Quitlings will love it.

mooman
    Free Member

It’s good to know that Nigel Farage’s counter demo mustered 1,400 supporters, I sincerely hope that they had a chance to rub shoulders with us and to talk to one another.#

I think that most right minded people regard demos/marches as something the nutters do .. so won’t associate themselves with such things.

tjagain

3/4 of a million in London are all nutters?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

The smashing Mr Dyson

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/make-easier-hire-fire-people-11509200

Owns huge areas of agricultural land and received £1.6m in subsidues last year. This is for the avoidance of inheritance tax.

Tax wise anyone heard of the companies Clear Cover and Dark Cover?

piemonster

Posting here instead of the other thread, but I’m sure someone will bring up Brexit over there soon enough.

I honestly think this

IIRC I saw some stats that showed most people have very little.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/do-most-folks-have-a-fairly-substantial-amount-of-savings/

Is the thing that worries me the most about Brexit. Are the majority of people really in a financial position to weather any Brexit turmoil, even if it’s relatively mild there’s a lot of people “just about managing” out there.

I personally know people that voted to leave but have nothing in reserve.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/uksectoraccounts/articles/makingendsmeetarehouseholdslivingbeyondtheirmeans/2018-07-26

MSP

I personally know people that voted to leave but have nothing in reserve.

And the chances are they have very little in reserve because of domestic policies over the last 40 years (housing policy has especially limited peoples ability to have anything spare to save IMO), but the media message has been blame Brussels, and our politicians have pandered to this message. So it isn’t a surprise they voted leave really.

Now would have been the perfect time to disclose some hard truths, and educate the voting population. Instead they have continued pandering to the lie, even puffed it up with delusions of empire and self importance, and we now have an even more extreme brexit than was imaginable 2 years ago.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The suppliers will be told to use Belgian and Dutch ports if blockages at Calais threaten to delay shipments.

I take it these Dutch and Belgian ports have managed to prepare in advance, so they have all the physical and processing infrastructure in place to cope with a sudden influx of hundreds of British lorries suddenly turning up on their doorstep, all looking for suitable ferries to drive on to?

martinhutch

Are the majority of people really in a financial position to weather any Brexit turmoil, even if it’s relatively mild there’s a lot of people “just about managing” out there.

The level of personal debt is likely to bring the whole thing crashing down even before Brexit is taken into consideration. Even a minor economic shock is likely to trigger something quite spectacular.

johnners
    Free Member

I take it these Dutch and Belgian ports have managed to prepare in advance

The Netherlands has hired 1000 extra customs officials in preparation for the disruption we look like inflicting on them. I haven’t looked into infrastructure but Ireland, Holland and Denmark all look like they’ve taken the impacts of this shitshow more seriously than the instigators of it.

zippykona

I’m about to email my mp. Can anyone tell me which was more legally binding ., the chequers deal which was signed by our government or the referendum?

martinhutch

They are both equally legally binding. ie not at all.

One because it is a proposal, not a deal, and the other because it was an advisory referendum.

The only thing which is legally binding at present is no deal, thanks to our enthusiastic invoking of A50.

Viewing 40 posts - 52,081 through 52,120 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.