Viewing 40 posts - 48,281 through 48,320 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is this merry dance to avoid the bit where the Tory Brexiters are starting to panic that the wheels are coming off

chewkw
    Free Member

Well lets blame Europe then, bloody EU letting all them African migrants in to the UK to destroy our high streets, or it could be evil pixies, I have seen them stealing out of the cash registers, I think they come from lapland.

Like I said previously NO govt has the guts to abolish the business rate regardless.

chewkw
    Free Member

Is this merry dance to avoid the bit where the Tory Brexiters are starting to panic that the wheels are coming off

If you only see it from one perspective (yours) then you only see what you wish to see.

It is about the opportunist Superdry brand trying to position themselves politically (brand positioning) as the representative of the “rebel” brand in the 48.1% market niche.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It is about the opportunist Superdry brand trying to position themselves politically (brand positioning) as the representative of the “rebel” brand in the 48.1% market niche.

Do keep up

Except that the guy who gave 1 million pound created Superdry years ago, but sold his shares last year. Nothing to do with them now……

Despite being really confident that leave would win any vote at any time, they really don’t want to ask any more questions, you know because they are so confident…

dannyh
    Free Member

If you only see it from one perspective (yours) then you only see what you wish to see.

Maybe, yes.

Beautifully illustrated.

The irony is strong with this one.

binners

I’m really looking forward to the governments ‘Protect and Survive’ style leaflets with their advice on what to as the economy collapses and we all face starvation. I’m sure it’ll be comedy gold!

This shit will be worth it if in the inevitable civil unrest I get to see Boris swinging from a lamppost shortly before someone stoves my head in with a pickaxe for my last tin of spam

mikewsmith
    Free Member

True Binners but you might be able to have Jose’s work permit revoked, and if you play your cards right and get in with the real new powers of the people they might let you design some

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m really looking forward to the governments ‘Protect and Survive’ style leaflets with their advice on what to as the economy collapses and we all face starvation. I’m sure it’ll be comedy gold!

But surely all we need is the leaflet that explains how the NHS is going to spend its extra £350m per week? I’m confused.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Chewkw you is funny…

dannyh
    Free Member

Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab said securing a deal was still “the most likely outcome” – but added making alternative arrangements was the “responsible” thing to do.

You couldn’t make this shit up. Satire is finished. There is nothing left to parody.

binners

That’s what Armando Illucianelli said. That there’s no point in writing any satire about Brexit as the reality is so unhinged, you just couldn’t compete.

i love the way the Brexiteers are flippant enough to say it’ll ‘probably’ be ok. From the mouths of those who’ll be just fine, thanks very much, whatever happens

bigrich

It is about the opportunist Arron Banks and Farage brands trying to position themselves politically (brand positioning) as the Insurance and financial services representative of the “gullible” brand in the 51.9% market niche.

If you only see it from one perspective (yours) then you only see what you wish to see

chewkw
    Free Member

It is about the opportunist Arron Banks and Farage brands trying to position themselves politically (brand positioning) as the Insurance and financial services representative of the “gullible” brand in the 51.9% market niche.

“If you only see it from one perspective (yours) then you only see what you wish to see”  😀

After the decision by the people?   😀

bigrich

informed peoples vote or misled peoples decision?

you are arguing only about the validity of democracy, not if brexit is a good idea (it isn’t) which is being championed by honest people for the benefit of the majority (it isn’t).

chewkw
    Free Member

informed peoples vote or misled peoples decision?

Shouldn’t people just accept the new direction set for the country or is democratic decision only applicable in some instances?

you are arguing only about the validity of democracy, not if brexit is a good idea (it isn’t) which is being championed by honest people for the benefit of the majority (it isn’t).

I am referring to Superdry trying to create something for themselves.  If the person wants to donate then donate, no need to advertise their product brand.

cornholio98
    Free Member

Shouldn’t people just accept the new direction set for the country or is democratic decision only applicable in some instances?

Sigh… democracy means that it does not matter if you win or lose you still have the right to campaign and fight for what you believe to be right. If something is set forever as soon a vote occurs we can do away with all this voting lark as there would be no need for any more elections.

one could say Farage et al should have just accepted the direction decades ago, but hey democracy means they didn’t have to..

the fact this is not a democratic negotiation between the Uk parliament and the EU just one between two warring factions of one political party that doesn’t even command a majority is an entirely different matter…

kerley
    Free Member

I am referring to Superdry trying to create something for themselves.  If the person wants to donate then donate, no need to advertise their product brand.

Did he advertise the fact or did the media state that he was linked to Superdry making it sound like he was currently involved with Superdry ?  Or don’t you need to worry about that in your  assessment of the situation…

kelvin

Trump prefers them

Not enough praise for this reply from @Klunk… so a small round of applause from me.

Anyway, October is looming large…

tick tock…

PJM1974
    Free Member

*sigh*

Theres absolutely no point in trying to engage with chewkw, many have tried to explain how a parliamentary democracy works, it’s a bit like me trying to explain to my cat how the magic pictures on my laptop screen got there. All he knows is that he likes to chase them.

All hail the killfile.

GrahamS

Oh hey @chewkw, remember all that discussion about how you thought JLR would never move production as their brand was inherently British and that was a key selling point for them?

Well… my brother-in-law and sister-in-law both work for JLR and have just announced that they have to relocate from Warwickshire to Nitra in Slovakia by December.

https://www.tatamotors.com/jlr-press-release/jaguar-land-rover-begins-construction-of-slovakian-plant/

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/11/jaguar-land-rover-to-move-production-of-discovery-from-uk-to-slovakia-jobs-solihull

dannyh
    Free Member

Oh hey @chewkw, remember all that discussion about how you thought JLR would never move production as their brand was inherently British and that was a key selling point for them?

Well… my brother-in-law and sister-in-law both work for JLR and have just announced that they have to relocate from Warwickshire to Nitra in Slovakia by December.

Lol*. I think that is what is known as an inconvenient truth.

Given the current state of politics and ‘truth’ I fully expect you to be shouted down and denounced as an ‘enemy of the people’.

*Note that is a bitter and eyes rolling ‘lol’. Unfortunate for your family, though. Are they assuaged at all by knowing that they are necessary collateral damage in ‘taking back control’? I wouldn’t be.

dannyh
    Free Member

By the way, you won’t get a real answer from Chewie, you do know that, right?

cornholio98
    Free Member

Did he advertise the fact or did the media state that he was linked to Superdry making it sound like he was currently involved with Superdry ?  Or don’t you need to worry about that in your  assessment of the situation…

I would imagine the media added it for context. Otherwise the story is retired/unemployed businessman who you don’t know thinks leaving the eu is a bad idea

Nitra looks alright from google images but then so does Solihull… if JLR relocate and probably pay for housing, schools etc it could be a fantastic move even if just for a short time. New environment, new culture – working abroad is something I believe everyone should do at some point

oldnpastit

Where I work there has been this “decision” taken on some stuff, which is just plain stupid. I keep getting dirty looks from the manager involved who tells me “that train has left the station” and “the decision has been socialized” and “you’re the first person to raise any objections to this”.

But it’s still utter cobblers, and I have yet to get an explanation of why we’re doing this, or in what way it will improve things. It’s all very brexity.

And because I’m not a mindless sheep, I’m going to carry on objecting until either someone explains why it makes our lives better, or sense prevails and we abandon it, or I get sacked.

But yes Chewy, if you are a mindless sheep who does things without questioning them, without having an adequate explanation, then you should just accept Brexit.

GrahamS

it could be a fantastic move even if just for a short time.

Minimum of two years I’m told (setting up the teams that will be taking the jobs). Possibility of being more permanent.

working abroad is something I believe everyone should do at some point

True but nice to have the choice of when though eh? I don’t think many people would choose to do it when they have one kid approaching exam age and another still in middle school. Plus they have literally just finished a four year long renovation and extension project on their current house!

Coyote
    Free Member

Of course if the vote had gone the other way Nigel and the other ***** would have just accepted the result and gone on their merry way happy that it was the “will of the people”. Or not.

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course, we joined due to the will of the people in the first place, so why did Nigel &co campaign for another referendum?

thepurist

Of course, we joined due to the will of the people in the first place, so why did Nigel &co campaign for another referendum?

Ah Molly,they said that’s because what we joined was different to what we were in so it’s OK to have a re-think on it.

Apparently it’s not OK to have a rethink if what you’re getting after you leave is different to what was promised though.

molgrips
    Free Member

So does a change of circumstances warrant a rethink or not? Confused.

dannyh
    Free Member

So does a change of circumstances warrant a rethink or not? Confused.

There hasn’t been a change of circumstances, though.

It always was, is, and will continue to be a really stupid idea.

dantsw13

By the Vote Leave logic of “ we voted leave so shut up” then opposition parties should just shut up after a general election, and let the victors rule with the “will of the people”. Thankfully politics is slightly more nuanced than Farage & Johnson would have us believe.

jimster01

Wasn’t Farage encouraging a second referendum if the first didn’t go the way he hoped? 🤔

chewkw
    Free Member

Vince cable must have heard what I said about business rate … LOL

https://www.ft.com/content/5126d622-a221-11e8-85da-eeb7a9ce36e4

But he is not really solving the problem other than getting the landlord to pay, which inevitably will still be passed on to the tenants/shops/whatever …

Me think he is struggling for ideas.   😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And what does Putin think that has to do with leaving the EU?

I assume you got the update to send out distractions?

GrahamS

Did you read my post to you regarding JLR  @chewkw?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Chewk is a brexiteer bot….

Logic and evidence is not relevant, just like the rest of them swivel eyed folks.

This is a local country for local people…

Royston Vasey 2.0

chewkw
    Free Member

Did you read my post to you regarding JLR   @chewkw?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/11/jaguar-land-rover-to-move-production-of-discovery-from-uk-to-slovakia-jobs-solihull

Notice the information?

You need to ask two questions: What would you do with Low pre-tax profit? Maintain current situation or relocate to low cost manufacturing region? … inevitable consequences?

Why low profit? Ask the garages …

A spokesman for JLR said the Slovakian plant had been developed over several years and the latest move was unconnected to the Brexit headwinds that led to it announcing 1,000 UK jobs would go in April. Its profits have also been dented by the decline in diesel sales, slumping to £364m pre-tax in the three months to the end of March, compared to £676m in the same period last year.

Then …

JLR said there would be a “significant investment and technology upgrade” in its Solihull factory, with the carmaker believed to be spending hundreds of millions of pounds to meet its low-carbon commitments. The manufacturer said it would also be investing in its plant at Halewood, Merseyside, to build the next generation Range Rover Evoque.

^^^ Is this commitment the result of some policy change?  If you want diesel out then they have to do something.

The move has also been welcomed locally in the Midlands as a step for the manufacturer to upgrade the Solihull plant to build new, electric models.

In a statement, JLR said: “This significant investment and technology upgrade in Solihull in order to accommodate our next generation of flagship Land Rover models, and the refit of our Halewood plant for the next Evoque, is proof that we remain committed both to the UK and to transformation and growth.”

Hhhmmm … looks like they are staying to meet their commitment don’t you think so?

The company has said it would make an electric option for each of its new models after 2020. David Bailey, the professor of industrial strategy at the University of Aston, said: “There has been speculation locally that they needed to free up space to make electric vehicles. There was concern that their first electric car, the I-Pace, was being made in Austria – people wanted that built here.

“If this move on the Discovery means producing electric cars here, overall that is a good thing. We want to see that transition to a low-carbon economy in the Midlands and we want to see the jobs here.

It looks like JLR is dumping old tech on someone who does not complain about diesel fuel then trying to create something new to meet the “clean” fuel demand.

“JLR have been too slow in getting into hybrids and they have to speed up in getting fully into electric vehicles.”

Who should they blame?  Why are JLR still here if they are moving?

kelvin

So… JLR jobs aren’t leaving the country?

chewkw
    Free Member

Chewk is a brexiteer bot….

Logic and evidence is not relevant, just like the rest of them swivel eyed folks.

This is a local country for local people…

Royston Vasey 2.0

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2008/sep/11/gordonbrown.economy

^^^ Remember this?  Wonder where the logic and evidence came from to say something like that … 😀

So… JLR jobs aren’t leaving the country?

They have two choices:

1. Stay and suffer the consequences of further decline in sales/profit due to incompatibility with govt ambition.

2. Relocate some work to country less hostile to diesel with low labour cost; and reinvest in new tech to meet govt ambition.

They have chosen 2 …

Viewing 40 posts - 48,281 through 48,320 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.