Viewing 40 posts - 48,201 through 48,240 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • DrJ

Yep, I can prove I have worked where I work and received a monthly income for it, paid taxes etc,.

Cool, but that’s not what’s asked on the current application forms. They want to know all your travels, not just the bare bones of your employment history.

And what if your wife had done some sabbatical work back in Belgium, or if your child had attended a year abroad at a Belgian university, or any number of other activities that we all did without a thought when we took freedom of movement for granted.

tjagain

klerley – has your wife been out of the uk in the last 5 years?  If so she will not be eligible for the proposed scheme as she does not have 5 years continuous residence – and yes a weeks holiday counts

Paying taxes etc is not enough.  Hostile environment remember?  People have been deported because they could not show 5 years continuous residence having been out of the UK on holiday or for other reasons – IIRC one went to jamaca to look aftr a sick parent for a few weeks and thus lost her right to remain

also they will still be treated as less than UK citizens with less rights.

binners

And you’ve the likes of Boris Johnson helping foster a tolerant and inclusive attitude to immigrants.

I truly despair as to where we’re headed as a country since this ****ing catastrophe. We seem to be regressing by the day, undoing decades of hard-won progress

The idiots are winning. For now. I think it’s going to look like a very hollow victory, come March. Well… it’ll be looking pretty grim for most of us. The people who instigated this shitshow will somehow, as always, come out smelling of roses, a la banking crisis

anyone heard from Dave lately?

kerley
    Free Member

klerley – has your wife been out of the uk in the last 5 years?  If so she will not be eligible for the proposed scheme as she does not have 5 years continuous residence – and yes a weeks holiday counts

Rubbish, of course you can go on holiday while still having continuous PAYE.  Where does it state that if you have gone on holiday then you cannot apply/the application will be rejected ?

tjagain

Home office rules.  5 years continuous residency means 5 years in the country without leaving it at all for any reason.  Paying tax here for 5 years does not equal 5 years continuous residency.  Of course this could be changed – its a rule that has been used to get rid of brown people.  read up on the windrush scandal to see how the home office apply the rules

tjagain

Actually a weeks holiday is probably OK ( but the legislation has not been done yet) – 90 days in 5 years I think is the limit for current non eu citizens but people have found themselves unable to prove residency and deported – one case a nurse who had worked in the NHS for 40 years was deported.

thecaptain
    Free Member

kerley, it doesn’t have to be stated anywhere, it’s at the whim of an official who has the power to make their own decision. I know someone who actually has permanent residency but who has no legal entitlement to keep it if an official decides to take it away due to their temporary absence from the country. So far they have slipped under the radar, but that family could easily be split up due to brexit as there may then be literally no country where they all have automatic entitlement to reside. Of course, it may get sorted out, but I wouldn’t want to have to bet my family life on it.

kerley
    Free Member

Paying tax here for 5 years does not equal 5 years continuous residency.  Of course this could be changed – its a rule that has been used to get rid of brown people.  read up on the windrush scandal to see how the home office apply the rules

Paying tax through PAYE and having continuous employment clearly shows you have bene here for 5 years.  I am well aware of the wind rush scandal thanks but sounds like you are being over sceptical on this one (understandably) but overly sceptical nonetheless.

A single day out of the country has suddenly become 90 and you don’t think having evidence of working and PAYE for 5 years would be enough.  It obviously won’t be as easy for the cash in hand or immigrants working in the shadow economy but then probably shouldn’t be as easy in those scenarios.

tjagain

PAYE for 5 years is not enough with the current arrangements.  Its deliberately made difficult and complex

tjagain

of course being married to a UK national she will be OK

cornholio98
    Free Member

Rubbish, of course you can go on holiday while still having continuous PAYE.  Where does it state that if you have gone on holiday then you cannot apply/the application will be rejected ?

Yep… this is how it is done elsewhere. My visas to OZ and USA could both reclaim time out of the country even though I was still paying taxes. This time did not count towards residence timings. For tax you do not need to be resident for the whole year or in fact any of it.

there will be a description as you must have 5 years continuous residence. This may require 5 years in the country so with holidays etc you may have been in the country for 6 years.

last visa I applied for I needed to provide all flight/ferry numbers for 10years which was a challenge….

cornholio98
    Free Member

I would add the last visa was for Israel so by no means a normal process

cornholio98
    Free Member

This will be a new process most likely designed to make it hard for people who spend 6 months out of the country from getting residency.

this will in turn make it pointlessly difficult for normal people

thecaptain
    Free Member

UK national can’t bring in spouse without achieving some income standard surely? Which may lead to a dislocation of several months even for well qualified people currently living abroad.

DrJ

What makes you think that?

cornholio98
    Free Member

It’s a no win situation.

Option 1: well defined requirements stringently applied – separation of some families/communities- tabloids blast heartless government

Option 2: poorly defined system (or amnesty) with rush a block approvals due to limited resources – people cheat system, criminals etc get in – tabloids blast incompetent government letting in paedos,  terrorists blah blah.

or if they really go for it they may be able to do both

there are of course many options but in my mind none of them are swift, efficient and in time for march next year in my mind

binners

Do this lot look like they’re capable of putting anything in place by March that won’t result in total chaos?

On this and so so many other issues

AD

This is fun (yes I know it is yet another poll) but Gove, Moggster and BoJo’s constituencies appear now to support remain… No doubt they will be representing the ‘will of the people’ shortly 🙂

https://news.sky.com/story/100-seats-switch-to-support-uk-staying-in-eu-poll-11471078

kelvin

To repeat … proof of drawing a wage is not enough to satisfy the rules as currently applied by the Home Office.

What sector is the spouse employed in? How high is their lowest annual earnings if the HO look at the last three tax years?

kimbers

Johnsons majority went from 10k to 5k at the last election

Since then hes been a terrible foreign sec, flounced from cabinet- as the brexshit hit the fan,  blown the islamophobia dogwhistle (in a constituency with double the national average of muslims)  & broken his famous promise to lie down infront of the bulldozers over heathrow

also George Osbornes former ‘party planner’ has just said this on twitter….

jimster01

Kimbers – was there a follow up tweet??

martinhutch

I imagine various media outlets are haggling with her over the story, rather than letting her put it out for free on Twitter.

On another note, our Border Force is coping so well with folk arriving from non EEA destinations, so I imagine they won’t mind if they have to apply the same checks to a few more arrivals post-Brexit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45165222

thecaptain
    Free Member

Yes check her feed it’s just something about fathering a child…anyone surprised hasn’t been paying attention.

dannyh
    Free Member

Right on cue the Torygraph have a lead about Corbyn and a wreath at the graves of the Palestinians involved at Munich in 1972. Whatever the truth of this, if anyone out there is still surprised by the timing, then you are criminally naive.

Most of this anti-semitism row is a put-up job. Deliberately conflating criticism of Israel with anti-semitism. Israel has played a blinder by also managing to get the wording of an international definition of anti-semitism to effectively make any criticism of the Israeli state anti-Semitic.

Our right wing press just need to stoke it a bit every time they need to. You could argue that this comment should be on the Labour Party Problems thread, but it is also at home here. Brexit, Trump, Johnson, this anti-semitism ‘row’ are all part of the same thing – an attempted far right wing takeover.

kerley
    Free Member

Good that everyone is continuing to make stuff up about residency.  From gov.uk
    <h2 id=”continuous-residence”>‘Continuous residence’</h2>
    Continuous residence means you’ve been in the UK for at least 6 months in each of those 5 years, except for:

• one period of up to 12 months for an important reason (for example, to work or study)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/status-of-eu-nationals-in-the-uk-what-you-need-to-know

kelvin

[ psst – nothing on those pages has been signed off, by anyone … it’s all hopes and wishes ]

We have been referring to how non EEA nationals are currently treated … and the more favourable rules proposed, for a brief period, in the event of an exit deal, and a transition period, may not yet come to pass.

thecaptain
    Free Member

^^ that linked page does not contain that quoted text

kelvin

managing to get the wording of an international definition of anti-semitism to effectively make any criticism of the Israeli state anti-Semitic.

Not true. You can’t claim the Israeli government is the same as the Nazi government, as there are, you may be surprised to hear, particular sensitivities about that. You also can’t claim that the existence of Israel is a racist endeavour (although you can claim the current government has racist policies).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not true.

Covered at length in the other thread, but even those who back the the clauses above still manage to claim anti Semitic when it doesn’t fall within the definitions above.

MSP

It is strange that our proud right wing patriots are yet again failing to defend our citizens and country from false and damaging accusations by foreign powers, one might conclude that they aren’t actually that patriotic after all, in fact one might wonder what they actually mean by “patriotism” when they fail a most basic test of being patriotic by actions rather than just meaningless words.

kimbers

Right wing press only having to attack Corbyn because they know that come September May has to hope that France/Germany have taken pity on us enough to to allow a fudged deal or its election time, again.

El-bent
    Free Member

This is taken from a twitter thread:

I understand that senior members of Britain’s road haulage industry came out of a recent meeting with Grayling where they were astonished by his lack of grasp of the key detail on Brexit.

One of them, Kevin Hopper, who runs a major firm up in Yorkshire, said that he tried to explain to Grayling that if there is no Brexit deal then UK haulage drivers won’t be able to drive in EU as their papers will be invalid.

Kevin, who has 40 years industry experience, then showed to Grayling a copy of the EU’s notice to stakeholders from the Commission’s website, which confirms exactly that: no deal, no recognition of UK drivers.

Kevin says Grayling appeared to have never heard of this document but he insisted that “everything would be fine”

Grayling then said we “hope” there will be deal.

Kevin: “But what if there ISN’T a deal? Can you tell me, minister, what plans are there to remedy this situation?”

Grayling: “Well, could you suggest anything?”

Kevin: I can’t believe this

Grayling: What do you expect from me?

Kevin: I expect clarity

Grayling: What do you mean?

Kevin: I mean I want clarity

Grayling: I can’t give you that

This was infuriating for Kevin and colleagues because they have **already** been forced to turn down contracts with EU countries as they don’t know if they will be able to do those jobs.

kimbers

Hard to know where the spin ends, both sides saying No Deal is 50/50 chance now

whos bluffing who?

to the people like the hauliers caught in the middle its not funny.

The brexiteers lack of a plan for brexit is criminal

thepodge
    Free Member

If only it was criminal and we could lock them up for it.

El-bent
    Free Member

With a number of brexiters moving money out of the uk and into the EU, a few moving business and in one instance to monaco, others having property in France, one getting German passports for his offspring and one in particular being in the pockets of US companies waiting to swallow up assets in a fire sale,  I think a few Brexiters like Grayling are the stupid ones who genuinely believe in a pure brexit.

The others mentioned beforehand are using it to crash the economy and make a serious amount of money from it.

This is the biggest heist the world has ever seen.

As for the pure brexiters, I find it amazing how they think they are going to survive the aftermath of all this, they must truly believe “it will be fine.”

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

As above its the biggest “long con” ever..

Twodogs

We’ve started planning for the “no functioning government” scenario …..Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving 😀

athgray
    Free Member

Chair of Vote Leave, Gisela Stuart yesterday on Twitter

only around 2900 students took A-level in German this year. Shocking decline of foreign language skills.

What did she really expect? It was pointed out to her that taking away our freedom to live there may disencentivise students from taking the language.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tory MP Nigel Evans said: “We don’t need any lectures from Remainers.”

The backbencher, who campaigned for Brexit, told the BBC: “He’s got his own views. He voted remain. The prime minister needs to ensure, as she promised, that Brexiteers are in charge of our leaving the European Union.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45216061

and same story different names repeated over and over again. Can’t criticise brexit even if it looks like a really bad idea.

martinhutch

Grayling really does have to be the pick of the bunch when it comes to dithering incompetence. You see him get interviewed and there is no sign of any cognitive ability whatsoever.

We are finally getting to the heart of their plan for Brexit – hopes and bloody prayers.

Viewing 40 posts - 48,201 through 48,240 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.