Viewing 40 posts - 48,161 through 48,200 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • kimbers

TBF the smarter ones like Gove , Johnson even mogg, redwood (well, smart enough to move their money out of the UK)  etc are well aware that they must lie furiously to cross the finish line & leave.

If you want to see genuine pigheaded ignorance watch Bone or Dories talk about brexit

binners

It was Peter Bone I was thinking of specifically kimbers. Talk about pig ignorant! I thought the Tory’s were meant to be ‘The Party of Business’. Every piece of ideological drivel he spouts just expose his dearth of knowledge as to how the world actually works.

And Dories? She’s just a bullshit generating machine!

Its terrifying to think that these people are the tail that is presently wagging the government dog

slowoldman

Immigration: Scrap targets after Brexit, CBI urges

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45136390

AD

Wonder how the tory party demographics compare to this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45098550

I would joke about just stalling Brexit for a couple of years and the problem will be deceased (hopefully like the tory party in its present form) however lots of the younger people polled apparently wouldn’t be certain to vote in a second referendum!

Having said that all Corbyn would have to do is use his proven oratory skills to mobilise the youth vote just like he did during the last one… Oh wait my mistake…

El-bent
    Free Member

It was Peter Bone I was thinking of specifically kimbers. Talk about pig ignorant! I thought the Tory’s were meant to be ‘The Party of Business’. Every piece of ideological drivel he spouts just expose his dearth of knowledge as to how the world actually works.

And Dories? She’s just a bullshit generating machine!

Its terrifying to think that these people are the tail that is presently wagging the government dog

I have absolutely no doubt they will still be MP’s after the next GE as well. Give a pig a coloured rossette and the “Great British Public” would still vote for it.

The sheer lack of quality when it comes to MP’s from all sides of the house has led us to this point.

Its our fault, and I keep coming back to the point that you may “not do politics”, but politics does you.

scotroutes

True or fake news?

Apparently, we won’t be able  to  take delivery of our new blue passports from the manufacturers in France because we’ve no trade deal…..

cornholio98
    Free Member

And whats even more worrying is that it seems to be a willful ignorance.

In a past life I was a metallurgist so the comment in the LBC video talking about 3000 odd grades in consideration was initially a surprise but then made complete sense… with the UK having basically collapsed it’s metal industry after WW2 by not doing the consolidation and taking the other hard choices.

Sadly everything from now on will be a hard choice. Bring on the you MUST move for work and the increased power of net contributiors to the treasury. I wonder if Corbyn has a five year plan ready… Not sure BoJo has a five day plan…

Northwind

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>binners
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

And whats even more worrying is that it seems to be a willful ignorance.

Course it is. If they weren’t able to remain ignorant, they’d be at risk of changing their minds

</div>

dannyh
    Free Member

Nadine Dorries! Ha!

Can anyone imagine how such a vile person could get and keep a normal job for any period of time? Imagine interviewing that!

Unless you count ‘concentration camp incarceration enablement officer’ as a job description, of course. Which, funnily enough, is the direction in which we seem to be willingly careering.

mattyfez

Imagine Boris Johnson interviewing for a role of international strategy manager for a multinational company.

kimbers

if only corbyn was listening……..

tjagain

The observer poll showing 100 constituencies have shifted from leave to remain mainly in the labour heartlands?  It should stop the MPs runninc scared of losing votes if they back remain.

cornholio98
    Free Member

It should stop the MPs runninc scared of losing votes if they back remain.

If they back leave leave and they do not secure trade deals, increased benefits for farmers and the NHS and when things are not golden the tide will change and if they don’t have the money of Boris et al to leave the country they may find themselves the new enemies of the people.

kerley
    Free Member

magine Boris Johnson interviewing for a role of international strategy manager for a multinational company.

He would probably get the job due to the links he has.

Pigface
    Free Member

Well it looks like civil war is about to erupt in the Conservative party. JRM siding with Boris, you can’t make this stuff up. We are months away from a disaster and they are squabbling amongst themselves.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Yes isn’t it great fun?

Not so good for the many whose lives are being **** up of course.

binners

Marina Hyde nailed it in the Guardian, as always. She noted that for Dave, George, Boris and Jacob, they were all brought up in such privilege, insulated by such wealth, that there are absolutely no consequences to any of your actions.

A luxury not enjoyed by the rest of us.

So it literally is just a game, and you can play it as recklessly as you like, because for you personally, there will never be any serious impact

molgrips
    Free Member

So.. if this results in no deal, might it result in a second referendum and no actual Brexit? Seems like a possibility now, however slim.

kerley
    Free Member

So it literally is just a game,

Always has been to a lot of politicians.  Strange that people vote for them isn’t it.

zippykona

With my in laws and I’m astounded to find out that every pole pays no taxes and sends every penny back to Poland while claiming benefits.

It’s going to be a long day.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

This chap (one of the much derided expert/remoaner/elite) looks to be getting more and more attention on Twitter. When he is not making Farage look like a prick, his threads make for bleak reading – we really are being governed by absolute mediocrities.

belfastflyer
    Free Member

Very informative thread on what will happen to EU nationals status in the event of a no deal. Looks like i might have to book a one way flight for me and the mrs in march…

kerley
    Free Member

I thought as long as you could prove you were here for last 5 years you had to apply (with a £65 charge) and can apply up to around 202n something.  Of course why you would need to prove anything when the government has all the data already for most people (PAYE, NI etc,.) is strange

cornholio98
    Free Member

I thought as long as you could prove you were here for last 5 years

do you know or does anyone know what is required as proof? I mean you can have a bank account pay bills etc but not be a resident. Or you can live here and have almost nothing in your name. I remember when I went from being a student to a property person and had no utilities, leases or anything to prove where I had been for a long time.

i do not believe all the immigration records are up to anything. I can already see the tabloids uncovering a house which has 1000 people living in it on fake paper trails

belfastflyer
    Free Member

I thought as long as you could prove you were here for last 5 years you had to apply (with a £65 charge) and can apply up to around 202n something.  Of course why you would need to prove anything when the government has all the data already for most people (PAYE, NI etc,.) is strange

But its not in law yet (remember according to the UK nothings agreed until everything is agreed). Day 1 of no deal puts things in motion, every EU citizen would be come illegal meaning employers have to sack them, bank accounts have to be frozen etc and you’d have to leave (or face deportation) and fight the fight from outside the UK.

This could all be avoided if the UK would legislate to give some breathing space if theres a no deal however Tories giving foreigners a break is a insane notion.

MSP

I am sure there will be exemptions for rich ones.

binners

Just another one of the countless multitudes of things that haven’t been addressed that will have a potentially life-changing impact on the lives of so many people.

The lazy, self-absorbed, self-serving posturing of our politicians (on all sides) and total refusal to take these things seriously, is absolutely criminal!

I really can’t see anything other than massive civil unrest next year, because it won’t matter which way you voted in the referendum, you’ll still be totally ****ed when the economy ceases to function.

Strangely, it may end up unifying the country to a certain degree as the mountains of lies spouted by the Brexiteer shysters are exposed for what they are. I don’t think many will be in the mood for Boris’s  bumbling or Rees Moggs 18th century shtick when the shit really hits the fan

cornholio98
    Free Member

bank accounts have to be frozen

The uk has some very flexible banking rules so I would not expect this… the required visa and/or paperwork required very quickly is a concern.

imagine we crash out in March next year. So seven months (six if you don’t count the holiday Parliament are on and even less with a Christmas break), and in this time a verification and visa system needs to be decided and voted on, potentially a points system established with provisions for people already in the country, IT systems deployed, training established and there still needs to be time for people to apply….

by being idiots the government will force themselves into a corner where the only option is to do massive blanket acceptances with no checks. I mean you would hope that they have at least beefed up immigration tracking in the last two years…

belfastflyer
    Free Member

Unifying maybe but the arguement will still be either “Its the foreigners (EU) fault” or “it’s the rich right wingers fault”.

Not sure the UK has enough group intelligence to admit to itself which one it is.

belfastflyer
    Free Member

The uk has some very flexible banking rules so I would not expect this…

the HO already asks Banks to do this

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jan/12/home-office-banks-check-immigration-status-of-current-account-holders

cornholio98
    Free Member

I stand corrected as the Uk used to be a place where you did not have to be a resident to hold s bank account. Or at least most banks had some kind of banking device to cover this scenario.

The checks will be worthless though. Much like the landlords requirement to verify legal status for tenants.

When I was in Oz they could check my status online with immigration, in the US you have visas and entry permits. My understanding is that the home office does not have a centralised database and track movement across all borders (especially NI) so they rely on individuals looking at ID (and being able to spot a fake) and following up periodically to see if status has changed…

what a shit show…

DrJ

I thought as long as you could prove you were here for last 5 years

Can you account for all your movements over the last 5 years? I sure as hell can’t!!

And what about, say, someone who interrupts that 5 years to study or work in another EU country? Stuffed.

tjagain

Given the home offices track record on immigration recently = windrush scandal anyone?  I am certain this will cause major issues for individuals.

cornholio98
    Free Member

Can you account for all your movements over the last 5 years? I sure as hell can’t!!

On the the plus side do you think the Home Office that the systems and resources to check? Everything we be on trust… Anyone who entered via the Dublin method is pretty untraceable

Northwind

Yup, the home office and ukvi can’t cope with current demands (by design- the departments were steadily degraded under the last 2 home secretaries as part of the hostile enviroment, to make it harder to gain legal access. Frinstance to the best of my knowledge not a single ATAS clearance has been issued within their timescales for the last 2 years- certainly none of ours ever come in less than 100% late)

Northwind

“I really can’t see anything other than massive civil unrest next year,”

You mean “wanton criminality”, right?

binners

Indeed.

it’ll be interesting when it all goes off though, given how the Police have been treated by the Tory’s over recent years, including being lectured by headmistress May.

I doubt they’ll have much enthusiasm for defending these morons

cornholio98
    Free Member

I doubt they’ll have much enthusiasm for defending these morons

Trouble is these morons don’t lose anything in a riot where shops are looted and cars are set on fire. They still have their money and pensions…

I would like to see protests outside of their houses but I don’t see it happening. I would not like to see there houses set on fire or their families (children) harassed or anything like that but a constant reminder of their sins…

dannyh
    Free Member

it’ll be interesting when it all goes off though, given how the Police have been treated by the Tory’s over recent years, including being lectured by headmistress May.

A point I have also made a couple of times. The police used to be Tory through and through and would always go the extra mile for leaders like Thatcher who, whatever you think of her, would back them to the hilt. Obviously this spilled over badly as the police took her protection for granted and excesses ensued.

May screwed them over as Home Secretary and PM and now they absolutely despise her. I’d expect plenty of comments from officers along the lines of “there’s only so much we can do when we’ve been cut by ‘x’ percent over the last five years”.

Serves the Tories right. The party of law and order has become the party of private enterprise ducking its responsibility and imposing austerity as they can’t risk upsetting their rich mates. Private enterprise will probably also end up being touted as part of the solution, until everyone remembers what happens every time the likes of G4S gets involved. Chaos, followed by a bailout from the army or whoever and no financial penalties.

It would be immensely satisfying to watch if I didn’t have to live here.

kerley
    Free Member

Can you account for all your movements over the last 5 years?

Yep, I can prove I have worked where I work and received a monthly income for it, paid taxes etc,.

So can my wife who works for NHS but is Belgian.

Again, the government are fully aware of this as they can see she has worked for NHS, received monthly pay, paid taxes, NI etc,.

Viewing 40 posts - 48,161 through 48,200 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.