EU Referendum – are you in or out?

Home Forum Chat Forum EU Referendum – are you in or out?

• This topic has 50,944 replies, 715 voices, and was last updated 3 hours ago by  Leku.
Viewing 40 posts - 46,881 through 46,920 (of 50,946 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Premier Icon dazh
    Subscriber

Well unless some people get a move on and actually start to negotiate there is nothing on the table to make a deal.

I suspect it’s all been agreed already informally in the backrooms between civil servants in London and Brussels. The politicians have the job of selling it. I strongly suspect everything we are seeing now is theatre which has been planned to prepare the public for the coming fudge. The nutters are right on one thing, this will be brexit in name only, but there’s not a lot they can do about it.

mrmo

Well the sun are reporting that the government are stock piling processed food, going swimmingly then.

kerley

At least we will get rationing back which will be a nice sentimental journey for most of the brexiters and a reminder of the 1950’s that they crave

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Mmm, powdered egg.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Amazing how the sun can spin that story to make the government look prudent.

Don’t worry though it’s just project fear when you read the comments.

When you step away from stw and venture into the rest of this country it just makes me want to leave.

mrmo

and you still have people saying, we survived rationing before, it is worth it!

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

and you still have people saying, we survived rationing before, it is worth it!

Well so long as we fatten them up first they can make the ultimate sacrifice to see us through to the promised land.

“How do we know that Oates went out for this legendary walk? From the only surviving document: Scott’s diary. And he’s hardly likely to have written down, “February the First, bludgeoned Oates to death while he slept, then scoffed him along with the last packet of instant mash.” How’s that going to look when he gets rescued, eh? No, much better to say, “Oates made the supreme sacrifice”, while you’re dabbing up his gravy with the last piece of crusty bread.” Rimmer concludes, “If that’d been me, I’d’ve stayed in the tent, whacked Scott over the head with a frozen husky, and then eaten him.”

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

During the credit crunch they interviewed a lady whose husband worked at the Honda factory.

She was lamenting that since they cut her husband’s hours they’ve had to reduce their Sky package.

Some people are in for a rude awakening .

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

There was some loon on Five Live the other day who when told it might take 3 decades to recover from the economic fallout of a hard Brexit said that that was still a price worth paying

Thats the level of logic and intellect you’re dealing with in the Leave camp

Reading the Guardian today, it appears that Davis only spent 4 hours with Barnier this year as May had made sure that he’s absolutely nowhere near Brussels while her chief civil servant Olly Robbins gets on with the actual business.

A quick google tells me that he is despised as a full on Enemy of the People/Traitor/Saboteur by the usual hysterical right wing headbangers, so maybe theres hope yet?

mrmo

This is heading towards one of those scenario’s in which i start to wonder how long to leave it before buying a plane ticket and whether my employer would be happy for me to relocate to head office in Dublin (i am a dual national so it is an option)

However hard brexit is simply not an option, in a sane world,. question is whether we are in a sane world? The fallout would break the UK.

mrmo

unrelated, is anyone else having the thread opening on the last but one page when you post?

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

YES!!!

and it’s getting annoying

thepodge

I think this forum is based on brexit.

The people in charge telling us its better but the people it actually affects getting a bum deal.

Some of the worst case scenarios really do worry me, I’m sure I’ll be “fine” but I do wonder if this is the country I want my kid to grow up in.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

We should make all European owned shops have jEuden written on their windows so we know which ones to smash up after the football.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

Meanwhile…

dannyh

@thepodge

Some of the worst case scenarios really do worry me, I’m sure I’ll be “fine” but I do wonder if this is the country I want my kid to grow up in.

I know we’ve had ‘words’ in the past (and that it was me that was doing 99% of the needling), but I wholeheartedly agree with that – I’ve got good qualifications, a good job, pretty good skills and a reasonable CV and ‘back catalogue’ of people and places that I have done a pretty good job for. But it’s my kids that worry me – I think they’ll do pretty well at school (and uni if they want), but to what end and in what kind of country? A country that allows hate to rule as it fragments and the politics of ‘us’ and ‘them’ becomes ever more vicious? One sure thing, economic hardship (which any form of Brexit WILL cause) is almost certain to lead to more polarisation and more nastiness……..

mrmo

Danny, I think the only thing that really can be said about brexit is that it was against the status quo, but any form isn’t going to solve any of the issues.

dannyh

Danny, I think the only thing that really can be said about brexit is that it was against the status quo, but any form isn’t going to solve any of the issues.

There’s lots that can be said about Brexit, but if you’re being honest, ALL of it is derogatory, however, as you can’t polish a turd.

The whole thing still bemuses me. Either the ‘masses’ who voted for it did it genuinely thinking they’d be better off – in which case, they were very much mistaken.

Or it was a kind of scorched earth attitude. If we can’t have what we regard as our slice of the pie, then no one else can. But the fat bastards always get their pie, it will just be that there will be less than crumbs left for everyone else. People who feel they haven’t got enough now will get less. People who were content before, in the middle, will get less. The rich will still get and keep their slice, and in terms of disparity the gap will certainly widen.

Lashing out at the whole country because you can only choose one out of Sky TV, scratchcards and Stella without having to work a bit hard really doesn’t help anyone, least of all themselves.

But this thread was what made me make my New Year resolution never to read or post on the political threads on here again. I made it to July, but the Chequers farce and Johnson’s disgraceful actions (resigning as Foreign Secretary just as a UK National has been killed by an illegal weapon of mass destruction most likely as a result of a sovereign nation will do for starters) just made me feel I had to. But now I’m getting all angry again, so that’s it for me.

Bye.

thepodge

@dannyh (if you’re still there) exactly my thoughts on you’re first post, it’s one of the reasons I’m keen for my boy to learn French early on (one of his good school mates is French), a better understanding of foreign language and culture than me should give him more options than I’ve had… On your second post about why people voted, I’ve no idea. It won’t be as bad as remain think but it’ll not be as good as leave think however leave will spin that it’d have been better if they’d have got their 100% breakaway so we’ll still have a split society blaming each other.

mooman

The one thing I will agree on is that Brexit has divided the country.

In past elections whether the Torys won or Labour won there was a bit of griping by those that voted in the minority … then a couple weeks later it was back as usual to business.

But the nastiness of Brexit by those who were on the losing side has been sustained and I fear it has done lasting damage. The numb from the neck up Remainers have been told from the day they lost that they are superior and more entitled than those in the majority … I really don`t see them coming to what little senses they may have previously had.

As many predicted – Brexit will not be the Brexit people voted for. And that will only see the country fall further to the right as those dis-grunted Leave voters and the Loony Remainers choose parties with extreme policies.

cchris2lou

Nastiness from Remainers ? You must have missed à few Daily Mail headlines.

dovebiker

Remainers didn’t damage anything – we just wanted to keep the **** status-quo, but it was the idiots who wanted an abject fantasy of sun-drenched uplands with blue passports, galloping herds of unicorns showered in pixie-dust and all the other stuff, but 2 years later haven’t come-up with any measure of a workable solution that isn’t damaging to a significant proportion of the population and wasn’t founded on xenophobia and downright lies.

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

Brexit will not be the Brexit people voted for.

The only question voted on was should the UK leave the EU, you’ve no idea what “the people” voted for beyond that

mattyfez

To be fair, it won’t be the brexit people voted for OR against, you can’t dilute such a complex issue into a binary question.

Gina Miller says she met with the Norwegian government, who said: “We want what you’ve got”. She says Norway does sit on committees but at the same time they are rule-takers.

mrmo

But the nastiness of Brexit by those who were on the losing side has been sustained and I fear it has done lasting damage.

Remember Jo Cox?

Remember Citizens of nowhere?

Remember all those studies by the brexiteers proving that everything is going to be fine?

Now consider an advisory vote based on fraud, and lies. All really going to bring a country together.

thecaptain

the nastiness of Brexit by those who were on the losing side

Just give us a plan. Any plan. So long as it isn’t built on unicorns and cake. Just give us a plan. Then I’ll get behind it.

deadlydarcy

Yesterday had dissident republicans having pot shots at the bizzies. Now the UVF have stated that they will cause disorder over the coming days (it’s that time of year after all). It’s a delicate balance in NI – and it’s a time of year when that balance will be tested more than ever. This, if you’re a Brexit shitehawk, is just scaremongering.

Premier Icon dissonance
    Subscriber

I really don`t see them coming to what little senses they may have previously had.

The level of projection in the post but especially in this line is quite amazing.

I also like how you fail to notice the subtle difference between this and a general election.

Whats your personal idea of what brexit should be? Since lets face it there are probably as many ideas of what brexit should mean as people who voted for it.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

There’s been some very similar ranting (to moomans) by brexies on Twitter..

I think seeing Davis & Johnson humiliated has been a bit of blow,

Now their worst fears are coming true; turns out the Brexiters never had a plan, remoaning mrytle Maybot is ditching her red lines & the Brexiters just crumbled.

If they had a real plan they’d have ousted May & would be leading us to the sunlit uplands

Instead they are cowed & cowering behind May’s petticoats (Gove Leadsome etc) or flounced off to the backbenches to gnash & wail like Johnson, Mogg & Davis.

The real tragedy is that there are genuine issues that the country faces, even if brexit had delivered all it promised, it wouldn’t have fixed them.

Of course the reality is that it was always going to be a shitshow, and suck up money & all of the Governments attention, making all those problems worse….

I think the football has made me depressed

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Did anyone watch that debate mentioned earlier?

Did Jacob Cream Cracker tell us all the answers?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

The one thing I will agree on is that Brexit has divided the country.

I said this on page 1.  The elephant in the room is, why, and what do we do about it?

Remainers didn’t damage anything – we just wanted to keep the **** status-quo,

I don’t want to keep the status quo.  I want us to reform, to address the concerns which caused that divide.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

I don’t want to keep the status quo.  I want us to reform, to address the concerns which caused that divide.

This is the sensible, pragmatic approach and the one which a sensible government should have taken.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

labour with a 2 point lead over tories in latest yougov

Tories were 3-4 points up a few months ago, will that cow brexies to be more loyal for fear of a corbyn victory or will they use it to wreck May plans?

Premier Icon Leku
    Subscriber

Voting Intention: Conservatives 39%, Labour 39% (8-9 July)

Latest I could find..

fifo

The only question voted on was should the UK leave the EU, you’ve no idea what “the people” voted for beyond that

Yeah, he seems to pop up once in a while, with not a hint of irony accuse those who voted remain of being brain-dead, then promptly tell us that the voting slips actually had an entirely different question. He’s best ignored really.

mattyfez

It’s coming home, it’s coming home,  geo-political reality is coming home.

Premier Icon Twodogs
    Subscriber

So FT is reporting that “May has abandoned plans for a tight new relationship between the UK’s financial services industry and the EU”.

Love it or loathe it, this is the sector that provides 11% of government tax receipts.   Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

My last post seems to have disappeared into the forum black hole… so I apologise if this ends up being a double post… the article linked to is worth posting twice anyway…

Blame “remainers” all you want for our current situation, but when you promise the undeliverable, and then blame others for not  having a plan to deliver it, it’s your responsibility.

TurnerGuy

Interesting study here :

Personality, Authoritarianism and Cognition in Brexit

basically says remains are a bunch of neurotic losers and leavers are, interestly, more conscientious.

Conscientiousness is the personality trait of being careful, or vigilant. Conscientiousness implies a desire to do a task well, and to take obligations to others seriously. Conscientious people tend to be efficient and organized as opposed to easy-going and disorderly.

Viewing 40 posts - 46,881 through 46,920 (of 50,946 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.