Viewing 40 posts - 45,801 through 45,840 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • kimbers

I think Mays plan is just to lie to each faction in turn every week until they all just forget what they were arguing over & she can get back to her wheat field.

At this point she has no credibility left to lose so it doesn’t matter how dishonest she is, and amongst her cabinet/party/government, it’s not as if dishonesty is an impediment to success !

kimbers

May will just keep alternating her lies to either faction each week, until they forgot what it’s about. She has no reputation left to tarnish<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>It’s not like dishonesty is an impediment to success in her party, anyway!</span>

Peston’s take here

https://m.facebook.com/1498276767163730/posts/2073864526271615/

PJM1974
    Free Member

The overriding priority within the Conservative party is to prevent a damaging split that could damn them to a long period in opposition.  Imagine for a moment if the Conservative vote was split between a moderate pro-EU party and a rabidly anti-EU party, this would leave the door open for Labour.  That’s the nightmare scenario for every Tory leader since Major, who indeed have successfully kicked that can down the road until Cameron had the bright idea of holding a referendum.

If only the party civil war had erupted while they were in opposition.

El-bent
    Free Member

If we are going to be screwed over by the end result, it will be the half-wit remainers fault.

Brexiters don’t like us remainers calling them stupid. How can we not when there are comments like this.

I bet the gammons are like:

PJM1974
    Free Member

But of course.  Why shouldn’t we just blindly go along with a decision that stands to make many of us poorer simply because?

tjagain

Its not just the economics – I abhor the overt racism from the leavers.

Cougar

I’ll bet my bike that the vast majority of leave voters – actually, the vast majority of all voters – hadn’t even heard of the EEA when they voted.  The notion that “we knew what we voted for” is yet another leave lie beyond superficially “wanting out” with no real notion of what they wanted out of.  Christ, we’re nearly two years down the line and the government still hasn’t even clearly defined what we supposedly want yet, let alone made any significant inroads into achieving it.  Something that, y’know, might’ve been useful do before the referendum… 🙄

but the remainers refuse to accept the plainly obvious meaning of the referendum and the result.

The meaning of the referendum was a failed attempt to bring cohesion to the Tory party.  The meaning of the result – a 50:50 yes / no result beyond any statistical significance – is that we’re a country divided.  The sensible thing to do would have been to then try and find out why.

Your concept of “plainly obvious” leaves something to be desired.

If we are going to be screwed over by the end result, it will be the half-wit remainers fault.

Norfolk & Waypal.  No way, no how are you pinning the blame on us for this.  I said months and months back that when it all started to go properly sideways – as it inevitably will and indeed is – the leavers would try and spin it so that it was anyone’s fault but their own.

It is, after all, how we got here in the first place, making Johnny Foreigner a convenient scapegoat for everything the UK government has screwed up both before the referendum and during the subsequent negotiations (“the EU is punishing us!!” etc).  In 2017 literally a third of the Daily Express’s front pages ran with some sort of anti-EU / anti-immigration / anti-foreigner propaganda.

So no.  **** that and the horse it rode in on.  You broke it, you pay for it.  Grow a set and have the common decency to take some responsibility rather than impotently finger-pointing.  The blame lies wholly on corrupt businessmen, incompetent politicians, and many voters who were whipped up into a xenophobic froth and swallowed all the lies.  Don’t you **** dare try to pass the buck onto us now.

zippykona

I agree..

molgrips
    Free Member

*applause* Cougar

Cougar

… and breathe.

fifo
    Free Member

*applause x2*

AD

Nicely put Cougar.

theotherjonv

Shut up Cougar and get on the bus. They won and we lost remember, so we all have to sit on while the leavers drive us into oblivion. It’s called taking back control.

kimbers

Im loving that ‘taking back control’

……………….. has led to no one having control as the bus careers along the wrong way up the motorway, with no one steering or having a clue where we are going

PJM1974
    Free Member

+137 *polite applause*

I couldn’t have put it any better.

mattyfez

Internal documents drawn up by the European Council show that the bloc is planning what to do “in the event that the United Kingdom is still a member state of the Union” after March.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-plans-uk-leave-postponed-european-union-article-50-theresa-may-a8400441.html

Hahaha!

piha
    Free Member

Very, very well said Cougar and hits the nail squarely on the head.

dudeofdoom

Yep Cougars elegantly nailed it …

athgray
    Free Member

You can stay cougar.

dudeofdoom

Any way this Arron Banks thing has me thinking if you had  £9.6m spare would you spend it as a political donation and what would you be after.

I don’t see how if you like money you’d give it away,unless it wasn’t yours or you were getting some quid pro  quo.

oldnpastit

+1 Cougar!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Any way this Arron Banks thing has me thinking if you had  £9.6m spare would you spend it as a political donation and what would you be after.

Probably needs it’s own thread that one!!

But to give anyone close to £10m I’d want to make sure I could make it back at least and hopefully make at least 1.5x my investment within the next 2-3 years, after that looking at a lower recurring return.

dudeofdoom

@mattyfez

But the EU has said a withdrawal deal needs to be finalised before October this year

perhaps our glorious leaders shouldnt go on their recess this year.

kelvin

Any way this Arron Banks thing has me thinking if you had £9.6m spare would you spend it as a political donation and what would you be after.

Depends on where the money was sourced from, probably.

kelvin

Pigface
    Free Member

I see the Brexit Dividend is getting wheeled out again. May has no conscience at all.

mrmo
    Free Member

I see the Brexit Dividend is getting wheeled out again. May has no conscience at all.

But some will believe it, the idea that the money currently exists because of Brexit may be a myth if you have educated yourself. However as most people won’t they will believe what they are told.

It is a huge failing of democracy in the UK, no one bothers to actually fact check what they are being told. The main reason why the referendum should never have been called is simply that a huge subset of the electorate would never have bothered doing basic research beyond what they were fed by Dacre, Murdoch etc.

Leku
    Free Member

Classic ‘tell a lie big enough’.

Sadly many will believe at least some of it.

zippykona

Hopefully this is really going to piss off the Remain Tories and give them some more grrrrr.

It’s strange how the real Opposition has to come from members of the same party.

It would also be a good time to write to your local Tory mp saying how wonderful it is that the future of your local hospital is saved and ask about what improvements they have planned.

dudeofdoom

Why waste a vote winning lie thou 🙂

dudeofdoom

So the magic money trees being shook again at a time of most need 🙂

kimbers

I like that the torygraph report that this is May’s way of uniting the country behind brexit 😂😂

Doubling down on a lie obviously the conservative way

dudeofdoom

I can tell you that what I’m announcing will mean that in 2023-24 there will be about £600m a week, more in cash, going into the NHS.

Fantasy promises thou…..a lot can happen in 5 years.

kelvin

Doubling down on a lie obviously the conservative way

Not all Conservatives…

And the Labour Party is also lead by liars…

cchris2lou

Are they going to repaint the bus with 600 millions instead of 350 ?

Are people really going to fall for it ? How thick do you have to be ?

kelvin

If (nearly) all the papers, and TV channels, repeat the lies in unison, as do most leading politicians, then yes, of course people will fall for it, in their millions. They don’t need to be stupid, just lacking the time and motivation to investigate. This little group of nations is on course to a very dangerous place.

kelvin

(follow his whole thread, as he runs through how all other papers are “reporting” this spun story)

Cougar

I see the Brexit Dividend is getting wheeled out again.

I’ve just been looking into this.

NHS annual increases in funding:
    Actual average increase for 1948-2018 = 3.7%
    Announcement by Theresa May for 2018-2023 = 3.4%

Correct me if I’m wrong, but 3.4 is less that 3.7.

So in effect the Government has announced a below average increase in normal funding dressed up as a genuine improvement, then spun it as a ‘dividend’ from Brexit.

oldnpastit

Is that inflation-adjusted?

Otherwise the high-inflation 1970’s might skew the numbers.

Viewing 40 posts - 45,801 through 45,840 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.