EU Referendum – are you in or out?

Home Forum Chat Forum EU Referendum – are you in or out?

Viewing 40 posts - 45,681 through 45,720 (of 55,137 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • PJM1974

Whether you respect the guy or not, Tony Blair was far better at telling a room full of people what they wanted to hear.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

maybot has to tell them in 2 separate groups, problem is that both then go & tell the world what she promised each of them

wonder what shes thinking tonight?

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

its all too much for the sun

fifo

They must be apoplectic – They’ve missed a very easy you / EU pun

dannyh

Telling different people different things, lying, manipulating and, ultimately, people reverting to type and looking after their own skins.

At least we’re consistent.

Nearly two years since the abomination and the national humiliation rolls on.

Just seen Aaron Banks on the telly, oh he is cruising for a bruising.

In fairness, he’s an utter duplicitous shit, but at least he gave the Parliamentary Committee with the respect it deserves by heading out for lunch when he felt like it.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I’m a bit confused by all this now?

Have we resolved the fairies and magic unicorns Oirish border thing then?

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Ok, so car brands have to protect themselves both from the effects of Brexit on production, and from the negative PR effects that questioning Brexit has in our current climate… but the CBI can speak out without walking that same tightrope…

CBI chief: Car firms face Brexit extinction

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-44462829

Have we resolved the fairies and magic unicorns Oirish border thing then?

Pah, plenty of time left to come up with some kind of coherent plan and invent the technology needed to operate it.

https://howmanydaystill.com/its/brexit-6

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Telling different people different things

On that subject… a useful, but far too late, pair of suggestions from the IPA…

Bit of a bizarre recommendation IMO – I don’t think anyone is individually crafting political ads for the consumption of a tiny number of people, they are simply using personal data to sort us into larger receptive/non-receptive groups.

Pigface

So some are saying she made concessions, Brexit Bulldog says they haven’t surely she has just lit the fuse to blow the Conservative party apart?

She must just have a plan, no body can be this clumsy can they?

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

If the sun is that upset I should be feeling happy.

I’m not.

Surely left and right are out of date now. The parties  should be in or out.

Mass defections to the Lib Dems please.

Corbyn is a **** but I’m liking Ken Clarke.

Crazy.

oldnpastit

She must just have a plan, no body can be this clumsy can they?

I think the plan is just to survive to the next day. Tomorrow the plan will be to survive to the day after that.

The CBI can bleat on about car manufacturing going extinct, but the whole history of this thing is about Tory politicians putting their party before the country, and it’s hard to see that changing. Do leopards change their spots?

PJM1974

Crazy.

Tell me about it. I never once imagined that I’d have reason to send Michael Heseltine a thank you letter. I had a really nice response from him too.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

IMO

Yes, your opinion. Just ignore the recommendations of experts in their field. Carry on…

Fortunately I can still remember Ken Clarke’s enthusiastic trousering of tobacco industry cash as they tried to get third world kids hooked on cigarettes, so I can take a more nuanced view of his character.

Any port in a storm, I suppose.

Premier Icon dissonance
    Subscriber

Has Davis offered to resign yet ?

He only does that alternate weeks now. Doing it weekly was a tad too obvious demonstration of attention seeking.

This week he is “taking people out”.

Premier Icon dudeofdoom
    Subscriber

I think the plan is just to survive to the next day. Tomorrow the plan will be to survive to the day after that.

Most definately… I’m not sure who’s on the driving seat of this fiasco, two years/billion down the line and they still haven’t figured out what they want.

Yes, your opinion. Just ignore the experts. Carry on…

Ahem. That would be ignoring the industry, rather than independent experts. So needs to be viewed from the context of a group who sees actual regulation approaching and is trying to head that off.

Plus the difference between calling for a ‘moratorium’ (voluntary, not forever) and a ‘complete ban’ needs to be pointed out to your Tweeter.

It’s encouraging because it suggests that they know the matter may well be taken out of the hands of the industry to self-regulate, and are lobbying hard to prevent that.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

So the regulation is or isn’t needed?

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

The only thing the Maybot is interested in is the survival of the Tory party.

Thats it! End of story! Everything else is a secondary consideration thats so insignificant that it barely even registers. And if she has to lay waste to the countries economy to achieve that end? Well…. whatevs….

Because if the banking crisis taught us anything, its that the rich, privileged and entitled don’t pay the price for the disasters they usher in. Its us little people who deal with the calamitous fall-out of their limitless greed and ambition, while they waltz off into the sunset totally unaffected.

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

It is another can-kick scenario.

She’s made ‘promises’ to the remainers that the leavers won’t accept and vice-versa is telling the leavers that they were only promises to consider / discuss. IDK what the next week’s business entails, but based on past history of making and sticking to deadlines, I wouldn’t be surprised if the formalising of the agreements made is then pushed further out for ‘technical’ reasons until sufficient pressure can be applied on the dissenters that the storm dies down.

And even if the agreements were formalised, it’s not as if they don’t have history of claiming they had their fingers crossed while signing and therefore they don’t count…..

So we’re then back to whether the remainer rebels have sufficient spine finally to vote against their leadership. Am I hopeful…….

It would make a great political drama, if it wasn’t actually important.

So the regulation is or isn’t needed?

Undoubtedly is needed. The question is whether the measures proposed by the industry body are sufficient to stop abuses of data aggregation/political advertising (it’s hard to tell without a firm definition of ‘minimum numbers’ or what ‘individually-targeted’ advertising actually means) or just a fudge to head off actual regulation by electoral or advertising watchdogs.

I’d rather it was dealt with by actual regulation, TBH. Industry bodies have a long and proud history of offering up various ‘voluntary codes’ which sound admirable but are geared more to their members’ advantage than the public’s.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

So micro-targeting of political adverts does need regulation… you’re just pointing out that other, and better, regulation is needed as well? I thought you were claiming micro-targeting doesn’t happen… but reading your words now, you might just be saying people aren’t doing it by hand. Anyway, the extract is just two points from a larger report.

I may be misreading what they are proposing, but I see nothing there which stops an advertiser aggregating people into susceptible/non-susceptible groups and targeting them with political advertising. They will simply make the groups slightly larger to fit in with some to-be-decided minimum threshold.

I suspect that the industry knows that the ship has already sailed on the extreme kind of data harvesting that was used during the referendum (the winding up of Cambridge Analytica supports this), so they know that the same level of micro-tailoring of advertising content won’t happen next time anyhow. So can be safely offered up to be maybe-banned-for-now.

I’d prefer to see a greater restriction on the proportion of electoral advertising spend allowed on social media, which cuts the problem off more directly.

I do tend to look at industry proposals with a cynical eye, though. Perhaps there is some honest intent behind this one rather than just offering the appearance of cleaning house to keep electoral advertising spend flowing into the agencies.

So consider my first comment more as a raised eyebrow than condemning the proposals out of hand.

Corbyn is a **** but I’m liking Ken Clarke.

Tell me about it. I never once imagined that I’d have reason to send Michael Heseltine a thank you letter. I had a really nice response from him too.

We live in interesting times.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

So consider my first comment more as a raised eyebrow than condemning the proposals out of hand.

So, it was a “that’s not enough” comment, on a tiny extract, containing just two suggestions, from a large report, packed full of suggestions. Thank you for your time.

Anyway, micro targeting exists… as do campaigns targeting different groups with contradictory messaging, so both of those points are useful contributions “in my opinion”. Being able to see all adverts linked to a campaign, in a central register, would at least mean that journalists could look for contradictions and call people out on them. If they consider that part of their job (some still do this kind of thing, rather than just sabre rattling with poor photoshopped montages).

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

the weird caching on this forum makes it damn hard to follow threads… when posts go missing for ages after they have been posted

[ edits also seem to take the long route from being posted to appearing in a thread ]

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Anyway, personalised propaganda. Don’t pretend that it is fantasy. Regulation is going to be tough, as always with the web.

PJM1974

I’m reliably informed from a contact close to the matter that a certain minister who may or may not be quitting their post in the coming weeks has been hitting the booze rather hard of late.

PJM1974

I do wish that Tim Martin would stick to flogging cut price booze instead of giving a running commentary on why Brexit is a good thing. If I wanted to listen to a right-wing pub landlord then I’d go to an Al Murray gig.

Thank you for your time.

You seem awfully upset because you re-posted a tweet and not everyone instantly thought it was the best thing eva.

Actually, I’m the only one who acknowledged it at all. Perhaps your micro-targeting is askew. Feel free to link to the full report/list of top suggestions if you want people to comment on that.

Anyway have a like.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Fear not! The UK economy is saved

“The company’s founder, Tim Martin, who campaigned for Brexit, said it was part of a transition away from products made in the European Union.”

He’s going to have a duck fit when he finds out where Guinness comes from.

Champagne-makers must be quaking – I mean, who doesn’t immediately visualise sitting in a Wetherspoons with a glass of posh bubbly?

cchris2lou

Who on earth drink champagne in his pubs ?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Who on earth drink champagne in his pubs ?

Lots of people, depending on the places you go to, it’s just a sparkling wine nowt that fancy about that

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

Or alcohol free beer!

Fwiw the Adnams one is no where near as nice as erdinger blue, Bree dog would’ve been a much better choice

So the SNP have just flounced out of PMQs over the lack of debate for devolved issues yeterday.

Another headache for May

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

Not happy

Viewing 40 posts - 45,681 through 45,720 (of 55,137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.