Viewing 40 posts - 44,841 through 44,880 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • kelvin

Damn EU… stopping member states trading with the rest of the world…

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN1GM088

(Reuters) – French and Indian companies signed contracts worth 13 billion euros ($16 billion) on the first day of President Emmanuel Macron’s visit to India on Saturday, the French presidency said in a statement.

Junkyard
    Free Member

think what he could have done under WTO rules  😉

Klunk
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kelvin

That’s a pretty crazy “ban”, isn’t it.

perditus
    Free Member

After a long ride this afternoon, mostly in the rain, (107 km and 1397 m of ascent – yay for me) I think post Brexit UK (meaning really engerlund) should rename itself to better reflect its new status in the world and the rest of the world’s true and proper perception of it. So from Brexit day next year the UK will henceforth be renamed simply David Brent and its subjects as the Brentish and queenie will be Queen of the Brents I am off to start one of those petition things.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

With a motto, yes it’s shit, we knew it would be shit but we did it anyway

kelvin

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But won’t he have to leave the eu to do that?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Never mind snowflakes France describing itself as business friendly is an offence under the Trades Description Act 🙂 At least Macron has got the joke on deficit reduction etc and is planning €10bn in privatisations. France does plenty of global trade, they sell Saudi 4 times as much military hardware as do we.

A reminder on the NI border from the head of UK customs, no need for anything on the border in any circumstances

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ah more propaganda from brexit central, who do you trust more Robert Mugabe or brexit central?

kelvin

Jamba, can we have a quote from the head of UK customs about whether CDS will be ready for your favoured “WTO rules” scenario? 12 months 20 days to go… While you’re at it, ask him how WCO conventions would be satisfied by trading without an agreement with the EU/EEA and without a customs border between us and them?

zokes
    Free Member

A reminder on the NI border from the head of UK customs, no need for anything on the border in any circumstances

Care to explain why this isn’t complete horseshit? Can’t wait to see the DM et al. go apoplectic when “floods of economic migrants pour into the country whilst simultaneously both scrounging welfare and taking all our jobs”. After all, I thought one of the key tenets of Brexit was us “regaining control of our borders”.

This is just blatantly obvious stuff. I don’t mind an alternative view point, but it’s helpful if there’s an ounce of logic to support it, which clearly there isn’t here.

Edukator
    Free Member

You’re years out of date on how difficult it is to set up and run a business in France, Jamba. The “Micro” system couldn’t be easier – junior uses it. I’ve a challenge for you, find a country where it’s easier to start a business and then pay all ypur tax and social security. Being objective you need to find somewhere with less than one declaration to start a business and less than four income declations a year with no formal accounting simply a payment of 25% of your income each quarter to cover all tax and social security. Depending on what you do you may have to pay an additional local professional tax but in the case of ski instructor that’s zero.

swamp_boy

It’s worth watching the Benn / HMRC guy video with the sound off and looking at the body language, especially when the HMRC guy concludes his evidence

Oh dear, I’ve been pulled into this thread 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Wow.  That video is awful.  It starts with the premise that Hilary is fundamentally untrustworthy, and that other bloke is.  Really shamelessly manipulative. And why are there cuts in between the questions and answers?

And he says his measures would  cover ‘the vast majority of trade’.  So basically, everyone who wants to play by the rules can do so, but that’s not what border infrastructure is for is it?

I’m trying not to join in the derision Jam but you are making it very difficult to do.  Seriously, take those Brexit-coloured glasses off.

kimbers
    perditus
    Free Member

And more good news. I particularly enjoyed the part about the UK being a guinea pig for a harsh new US trade policy.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/uk-must-concede-everything-for-us-trade-deal-1-4703683

mt
    Free Member

@perditus

“This is what your bullshit xenophobia and bigotry inevitably leads to”

I’m not sure this adds to the the debate or if it undermines the argument for remaining in the EU, given your view of the target audience.

zokes
    Free Member

I’m not sure this adds to the the debate or if it undermines the argument for remaining in the EU, given your view of the target audience.

I think it’s more a warning of where populist policies of “otherisms” can lead to.

kimbers

Stuart lee said it better

Vince cable wasn’t wrong either.

Scapegoating immigrants or the EU for our own shitbag politicians incompetence has a short lifespan of we actually leave

kimbers

So it’s costing billions & creating ever more red tape & beuracracy  to make the country poorer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43372084

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And that is news? I think we covered that before page 10

jambalaya
    Free Member

Disgraceful post @perditus. Truly disgraceful.

Just so you understand my point of view my father in laws twin brothers were sent to Dr Mengele

thecaptain
    Free Member

It’s quite clear that irrespective of how much of the brexit vote was underpinned by racism and nostalgia, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by pointing this out. People have a great facility to convince themselves that they acted on the most exemplary of motives, and when you accuse someone of bigotry the one response you’ll never get is “oh yes I can see you’re right, I’d better change my mind”.

Pointing out that brexit isn’t working and cannot possibly work in the way that they want, on the other hand, may have some chance of convincing them.

igm

Jamba – I don’t mean this in a nasty way, more a bewildered way, but based on what you posted, I can not understand your point of view. It seems totally internally inconsistent.  Have you looked at the other supporters of Brexit?

Slow down and look round, ask yourself if Britain First etc, or Farage with his thinly veiled reworking of Nazi propaganda posters are really the folk you wish to align yourself with.

If that’s what happened to your in-laws (and it was horrific the things that happened) then I do not understand your position.  Sorry.

zokes
    Free Member

Pointing out that brexit isn’t working and cannot possibly work in the way that they want, on the other hand, may have some chance of convincing them.

Given the levels of cognitive dissonance presented by leavers, I suspect you’d almost have more chance of someone accepting that they’re a bigot.

If that’s what happened to your in-laws (and it was horrific the things that happened) then I do not understand your position.  Sorry.

This. It would pay to look at the history of the 10-20 years preceding that photo, and compare that with where we are now. Insular nationalism has a rather unhappy history.

Edukator
    Free Member

Don’ forget that Jamba has expressed support for the French FN, read this thread for the period of the French elections and the joy he expressed at their results for confirmation. Once Fillon was eliminated he was right behind Marine Le Pen. Her father, the founder of the FN Jean Marie LePen, has been prosecuted for calling the holocaust “a detail of history” thus trying to rewrite history. The FN is xenophobic and anti-semitic.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/politique/marine-le-pen/video-bonus-un-noyau-dur-du-fn-violemment-antisemite_2099985.html

kilo

Good to see as strong members of the EU we can expect support from the other member states in our current travails with Russia (sorry brexies for using a foreign word)

zokes
    Free Member

Don’ forget that Jamba has expressed support for the French FN

Ah yes, I remember that.

Definitely a case of “doth protest too much” going on, Jamby.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

”they sell Saudi 4 times as much military hardware as do we.”

This isn’t something to admire you know….

cchris2lou

It is ok, the Front National are about to change name to be less racist.

thecaptain
    Free Member

“One nation” perhaps?

Edukator
    Free Member

http://bfmbusiness.bfmtv.com/monde/sans-accord-le-brexit-couterait-65-milliards-d-euros-aux-entreprises-1394070.html

So Brexit is going to cost EU 27 businesses 35 billion. The population is 443 million so that’s about 8 euros per EU27 citizen. Brexit will cost the UK 30 billion for a population of 65 million (2015) si that’s 46 euros per UK citizen. Try putting positive spin on that.

The EU27 meet in ten day’s time, I’d love to be a fly on the wall.

dovebiker

Not only just 46 Euros each, but we get blue passports, more brown people and maybe unicorns….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Try putting positive spin on that.

Frankly if you can’t spare 47 Euro’s you shouldn’t be here and are probably jobless scum. It will all be made better by the lower yacht taxes.

If the question was would you pay an extra £42 in VED what would the answer be?

Edukator
    Free Member

I drive an electric car.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In France…. you just need to find 8 Euro in change somewhere

mefty
    Free Member

TYpical lazy stereotype from Vince Cable, which has been laughably amplified on here, illustrative of why LibDems seem to be stuck on 7%,  one third of ethnic minority voters voted for Brexit.

kelvin

“Brexit vote wasn’t against immigration.”

“How about a new relationship with the EU, as a third country, but keeping the four freedoms on the table?”

“That would betray the Brexit voters”

“Why…?”

“The majority of them voted on immigration issues.”

…infinite loop…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Was that a reason mefty or just a list of unrelated statements?

How many of the 17 million voted because of immigration?

Viewing 40 posts - 44,841 through 44,880 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.