Viewing 40 posts - 43,921 through 43,960 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • ninfan
    Free Member

So is this what taking back control looks like?

Make your &’king mind up

you spend forever whining about a hard Brexit and the risk of talks collasping (sic) then when you see a transitional deal indicating a trade agreement you complain it’s not hard enough

Some people are never happy are they?

dissonance

Some people are never happy are they?

I know. I gave someone a choice of a punch in the balls or a kick in the balls and the ungrateful sod didnt want either.

matt_outandabout

😂

igm

If he actually cared about British or Commonwealth war dead he’d be supporting the EU.

I don’t think this follows either.

Then we disagree. Which is fine.

mattyfez

Brexit isn’t going to happen, because let’s face it, it’s flipping rediculous.

What’s happening now is the grown ups are doing a protracted damage limitation exercise.

Yes it’s costly, the whole fiasco has probably set the UK back 10 years, but that’s damage already done now, there’s no going back from that.

The only possible way to make anything good out of this is to fool the brexiters into thinking they are getting back the power that they already had, and never lost because nothing actually changed, which is actually quite easy considering that it’s true, and brexiters are utterly dumb..

“The people voted for a Mad Max dystopia and so your Conservative government will implement a Mad Max dystopia”

“But we just voted for fiery guitars!”

“You knew what you were voting for!”

“But you only said fiery guitars!”

“Traitor!”

kelvin

Did we vote for fiery guitars… or just against rules, and for simplicity…?

A good twitter thread…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Utterly dumb yet they beat us!

Who are the fools?

On what grounds do you assume that we have been set back by 10 years?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Who are the fools?

Mostly, those who voted for the nonsensical non-plan of wishful thinking and scapegoating known as brexit.

Next!

kimbers

Seems like mogg & co are just recycling 20 year old satire

Twodogs

always worth a read

or ignoring if it raises too many awkward questions

kelvin

Thanks @Kimbers … was the big BSE **** up 20 years ago?!? Blimey. That was the last time I was race fit!

zippykona

Two dogs that is once again scary reading.

Maybe our resident leavers would care to tell us exactly how that will be resolved.

This time I would like facts rather than “it will be alright , I’m sure it will all sort itself out.”

What use is a blue passport if you can’t go anywhere with it?

Twodogs

Zippy, the grownups will sort it, obviously!

(I’m actually going to hear Ian Dunt speak tonight..(the editor of that website, and author of that article) ..he’s very articulate, so should be interesting!

kimbers

Rather depresing remoaner experience this morning

(Government funded) 10,000 Genomes Project meeting, wanting to integrate with Europe wide drug trials, but as we have no clue what our end state will be regards collaboration, EMA interaction & crucially patient data sharing, stuck in limbo until…..?

binners

Don’t worry your pretty little head over ‘details’.  It’ll all be fine.Anyway….. the leavers have succeeded in getting what they really wanted….

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/health/2018/02/they-are-leaving-alarming-rate-european-nhs-workers-winter-crisis-austerity

Rejoice!!!!! Less bloody foreigners!!!!

cornholio98
    Free Member

Was sat in a meeting last week where the future of one of our UK manufacturing and technology centers was discussed.

The summary was there can be no investment until the freedom of movement following Brexit is resolved and if it is not preserved then the center will no longer be viable….

It is slightly extreme but the situation is playing into the hands of companies who already want to move mfg. to China or elsewhere in Asia to cut costs…

mrmo
    Free Member

meeting last week, we know a large percentage of our customer base are going to go bust. It is the reps job to identify those that are least likely to and work with them don’t extend any favours to anyone who won’t survive.

mrmo
    Free Member

And on another note, May has decided to postpone any commons motions on the Customs bill because she is running scared of a defeat from both the remain and the leave sides.

binners

There will come a point where May can no longer kick the can any further down the road and is just going to have to let the (pre-)warring factions of the tory party set about each other like rats in a sack.

If theres going to be a silver-lining to the incoming financial armageddon it’d be nice if it was the complete implosion of the Tory party. The rest of us will all just be collateral damage to that conflict, but then we already are

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Colleague had morning meeting with chief grown up for trade negotiations. He (colleague) is ardent remoaner but was positively surprised by plans and timetable on trade deals but less so on what this means in terms of actual £s

Still good to know that behind the scenes we are still moving onwards.,..slowly

binners

Thats reassuring. I’m sure everything will be fine after all

zippykona
    Leku
    Free Member

THM – you work in a school. How can a colleague have meetings with senior civil servants? Or do you mean they sat next to each other on the train?

thecaptain
    Free Member

That’s really great to hear that everything is going so well. The newspapers are full of stories that the Economic Ruin Group is threatening the govt and that May is cancelling a vote that she’s scared of losing. Fake news!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

is ardent remoaner but was positively surprised by plans and timetable on trade deals but less so on what this means in terms of actual £s

Still good to know that behind the scenes we are still moving onwards.,..slowly

So going slowly towards a bad outcome while cheering we got a deal we got a deal? It’s amazing what you can get excited about if you really try.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No mike, securing trade deals is a good thing.

Leku – changed job @9 months ago

captain – like leavers you shouldn’t believe everything you read in the papers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No mike, securing trade deals is a good thing.

No matter what it says?

Remember there are still 3 options on the table.

kimbers

It’s the pace of movement that’s the peobpro.

Scientific research & clinical trials are planned years in advance, and it’s all about power (as in sample size) that’s why (international) collaboration is so important, until this morning didn’t realise how much it has derailed future trials.

As we don’t know what our final standings will be regards patient confidentiality (at the moment ECJ has final say and we follow EU regs that were pretty much entirely set up by UK research)

That the gov are only now apparently sitting down to decide what they want as the end point is mind boggling & just holding back so much work!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

more than three, there a b_s_o_e version too.

dissonance

like leavers you shouldn’t believe everything you read in the papers

Yeah we should trust you instead. Remind me of your proven qualifications?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

my colleague was at the same fictional meeting a  thms fictional colleague and their account of the meeting that never happened is nothing like a positive as THMS made up one

mrlebowski
    Free Member

“No mike, securing trade deals is a good thing.”

When they are shite though…..well, I’d hasten to ask for a second opinion!

tjagain

Well the killfile is not working so I ended up reading more utter bobbins from THM.  Still living in his fantasy world where the tories are going to sort it all out.  Its a shame that the things he keeps on saying are happening are simply not.  Simple lies from someone who likes to pretend he knows what is going on but who clearly has no clue at all.

There is no deal being done on financial services.  UK side are still punting ideas all of which have been comprehensively rejected by the EU.  Barnier and the rest of the negotiators have been very clear.  Leave the single market and you do not get passporting and equivalence is only going to be offered in very limited circumstances for short term only.  Any equivalence will not work for the financial services sector according to them

This is no good according to a leading lawyer on the subject, Barnabus Reynolds of the firm Shearman and Sterling who says “equivalence doesn’t work because it is granted unilaterally by the EU and can be revoked at very short notice (30 days) by politicians”.

Many big US banks with significant EU operations based in London – including Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan – have dismissed this idea as unstable”

so there we go – contrary to THMs blithe assertions financial services are in big trouble and the deadline is looming.  No passporting, minimal to no  equivalence and the 4 freedoms cannot be divided.  Exactly the same as its always been.

“Preserving the integrity of the single market excludes sector-by-sector participation” so the “3 baskets” approach mooted has also been ruled out

Why the Tories are still asking for cake and eat it is beyond me.  Its so obvious that this is not so and Wednesdays EU paper makes it clear that the UKs position is totally unacceptable whichever of the outcomes the tories actually aim for

“The document says: “UK views on regulatory issues in the future relationship including ‘three basket approach’ are not compatible with the principles in the [European council] guidelines.”

The paper, produced by the commission’s Brexit taskforce, led by the EU’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, further emphasises the limits of what the UK can expect in a future trade deal.

“There will be customs controls at the borders, although waiting times may be mitigated. There will be no mutual recognition of rules in financial services, for example, to give businesses on both sides of the channel confidence they will be able to continue to operate.”

A wee tip THM – try actually listening to what the players with power have to say not what your little echo chamber hopes for.  #Try to understand the difference between what you want and hope for and what is possible – because your position is simply not possible, never has been and never will be.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How nice of you to read my posts TJ. We have missed you here. The truth is so dull in comparison.

I know S&S well thanks

please keep posting – it was getting far too serious

tjagain

More superciullous sneering.  Its your only answer when you are proven to be so wrong.  Everything you have claimed has been proven to be wrong

I could say a lot more but one thing is clear – you have no idea what you are talking about and we are all laughing at you.  Thats AT you THM because you look so ridiculous.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Any chance that we might all make an effort to try to be a bit, erm nice and civilised?

Engage, question, debate…

I’m the first to own up to sometimes being reactionary on here, but I genuinely think that if we don’t at least try then we’re going to end up switching off from the forum.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Leopards and spots I’m afraid PJM.

There are times every day that I wish you were not making stuff up TJ. My daily commute into the heart of the UKs financial district remains as chocker block as always. If only the floods of bankers out of London was happening we might get a seat,

My new colleagues that I have hired from Italy and Pakistan are both thoroughly enjoying their new jobs in London too. They find your stuff equally amusing, so a thank you from them too

It’s lovely to able to share your insights with them and have a giggle on public transport at the same then. You are a star

glad your back

Junkyard
    Free Member

I love the way THM  mentions others then does a hatchet job as if it is not him settign the entire tone here.

There is no chance of actual debate whilst folk engage with him

TBH who knows who started it or how it happened but I am happy to engage as a grown up [ or ignore you entirely if that helps] if you wish to it

Its a genuine olive branch that I think would help if we all grabbed hold of . this is little more than you seeing how rude you can be within the rules [ and others back to be fair]

It pretty pointless just insulting one another – there is not even any attempt at humour  its just simmering and open contempt

tjagain

PJM = the -problem is one person and his subtle trolling and complete refusal to play nicely.  Of course that gets a reaction.

THM its not me making stuff up.  I read what the EU side are saying and doing – and quote them.  You simply make aserttions wiuthout evidence

Lest see the real position asexplained by Barnier

Passporting is ruled out

Cherry picking is ruled out, 3 baskets approach – you guessed it ruled out.  No deal on financial services that will give the UK anything approaching the poisition they have now is acceptable to the EU side.  The 4 freedoms areindivisible

All I am doing is quoting those who know.  somethi9ng yo seem unable to do.

Now if you would like to quote something to back your spurious assertions then please do so – but when challenged before you have been completely unable to do so.  So lets see some nice quotes from people who actually have influence that back up your spurious assertions or else only one conclusion can be drawn.  You haven’t got a scooby

Viewing 40 posts - 43,921 through 43,960 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.