Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • EU-bikeshop anyone used them? Tubular MTB nichewhore moment
  • GregMay
    Free Member

Vaugly interested in running a set of 29er wheels (CX ones, wide rims) as tubulars this summer for racing on.

Just wondering if anyone has delt with them. They are also on Flea-bay and appear to have a good rep.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

i’ve bought big dugast tubs of cyclocrossworld before if you change your mind with EU

GregMay
    Free Member

It’s the rims and tubs together that is attracting me for another project also 🙂

How much did the Dugasts cost you?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I think I paid around $120 each, they are more now as I got them on offer.

Sam at singular is the man to ask. I’ve seen him run dugust tubs on a few Singulars.

GregMay
    Free Member

Awesome, I’ll pop him an email then. Use Rhino’s on the CX bike, but would rather the longer lasting sidewalls of the Tufo’s!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Just looked up eu bike shop,

They accept paypal and credit cards so you money is pretty safe i’d say, as they do look cheap.

I fancy a set of their 29er clinchers now

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ve contacted them to see what the response is on getting a few sets shipped, few others are vaugly interested. This is rather niche to the max, but I reckon I can use some of my CX setups for initial testing 🙂

Sam

Are you talking about using MTB tubulars or cross tubs on your mtb? Proper mtb tubs are amazing but bring challenges of their own. You really need to have a rim which is designed for them – you can’t (safely) use road or CX tub rims. You need greater width and contour to match the MTB tyres. Sadly, there are not many available. There are the amazing (and amazingly costly) Edge rims, and a couple of other (cheaper but less durable) carbon ones floating around. And there are also some FRM AL ones which are nice but a bit soft and flexy (especially if you’ve ridden good carbon ones….).

GregMay
    Free Member

MTB tubs, have been a CX convert for quite a few years.

I assume that going the way of something like a Reflex or Ambrosio road rim would end up a tree or would I be wrong?

I’ve not heard of the rims they are selling, you heard anything about them Sam?

Sam

Remerex are a Czech brand and I have used their (clincher) rims in the past and they were decent – I haven’t tried their new mtb tub rims. The profiles look good in terms of tyre support, and the eyelet is nice. Not especially light though, which could mean they are a bit stronger than some of the other Al tub rims I’ve used.

Yes, Reflex rims are a bad idea….

Sam’s bike after his little accident

GregMay
    Free Member

Oh dear….that is not a good idea then with the reflex?

Roll first? or did the rim just shatter?

Sam

Rolled first, then the rim bent badly. Then riding it back to camp it shattered. I’m talking to the folks at Remerx, might get a bit of a group buy going. Should be significantly cheaper than prices on their website. Let me know if you are interested.

GregMay
    Free Member

Interested. I believe the expression is, lets do this thing. I’d be interested in a set in both sizes if they can cut down the price. Will then try to dig out some tubs somewhere.

Sam

OK – just heard back from them – looking like it’ll be around £40 per rim. They have given me a price for 28h and I’ve gone back to ask whether 32h are also available. Also checking with Tufo on tyres. Once we have all of the details clear I’ll start another thread.

GregMay
    Free Member

Woop woop! Sounds good, I’ll ask about my lot here to see if anyone is interested.

Email is in profile also!

Sam

OK – we have Tufo’s happening as well. £65 a tyre. 28h only for the rims I’m afraid…

njee20
    Free Member

Hmmm…. tempted to see if MTB tubs are worth the fuss.

GregMay
    Free Member
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘EU-bikeshop anyone used them? Tubular MTB nichewhore moment’ is closed to new replies.