Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • E*thirteen mechanical dropper post woes
  • chrisyork

Has anyone got or had one of these? Came with my YT, needed a stronger spring. Got one of the spring kits sent from the hive who make the product. Went on a ride yesterday, after just a normal winter ride it became so unoperational that had to pull it up no matter whether I was going up 1 click or 3 to the top for climbing…..totally ridiculous in my eyes

Neb

Apparently the new spring fixes this issue, but I’d be interested to see how you get on as I was thinking of buying the same seat post

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I found mine quite sensitive to seat clamp tension…

i have had to rough up the post body, and used fibre grip on mine to keep it working and not slip….

i also went to a non qr clamp and got it all set.

tetrode
    Free Member

I got my Jeffsy at the end of last year and the post lasted all but 4 rides before it started messing up. Contacted the Hive who sent me out a brand new one, sent my old one back and this new one is much much better. There’s a lot more force with the one I have now and I haven’t had an issue so far with it not going all the way up.

chrisyork

Hi Neb, just for clarification mine has already had the new spring and it was unworkable. When I first got the bike within a few rides the post was terrible so I contacted the hive who sent me out a new spring kit, fitted that and more power but still stuck solid after a gloopy ride. It sounds like Tetrode has got the right idea getting them to send a new one. Just out of interest Tetrode, have you been out in muddy sloppy rides with it? Mine got absolutely grafted yesterday with just light thin mud not big floppy bits and got to the point it wouldn’t even raise…

chrisyork

Also fitnessischeating I’ve recognised the same thing, with the bike clean it wouldn’t hit the top setting, loosened the clamp so it was just tight enough and then it would…..but as said, one 21 mile light muddy ride and the post was none operational!

sirromj

Yeah they don’t like mud much do they. Mine had problems after about 17 hours worth of rides, only a couple of which were actually muddy. Got sent the new spring kit but it’s just been sat around for over two months unused. Even bought a mudhugger to protect it.

mat8246
    Free Member

Mine was knackered after one muddy ride. I’ve been sent the new spring and seal unit but it’s been 3 months and I haven’t fitted it. I think I resent performing labour on a brand new item in order to make it operational! Also a bit gutting to hear that it won’t necessarily fix the problem. Ah well… running out of options to try now.

chrisyork

Maybe the new seal will fix it, I’m going to push for a replacement post… it’s not good enough!

jlln
    Free Member

I have an E13 post on my al 1 jeffsy. No issues with the spring action but repeated problems with rotation of the saddle (and post). I contacted YT about it last year and they said the fix was to tighten the 10mm bolt at the top of the dropper post. The saddle has to be removed to do this and it is a bit awkward tightening the bolt to get the correct position once the saddle goes back on. I’ve done this twice now since Nov last year and it is currently coming loose again.

The post always had a little bit of rotation, but I am talking about easily 3 or 4 inches rotation at the saddle nose so it is going to become a regular bike maintenance chore unless I find a fix. Thought about using loctite but since I’ve never had the post out of the frame and not sure how the post is put together I’m a bit wary about removing the bolt enough to get the loctite on the thread.

Also since most of my weight is on the saddle at times I’m not sure the loctite would work. Any advice/experience of this issue and how to resolve it would be welcomed.

The post creaking is incredibly annoying at times but at least it gets me putting more weight through the pedals. It seems a replacement dropper post will be the next upgrade, so if anyone can suggest a hassle free dropper post (preferably mechanical as I don’t want to have to mess around with hydraulics) that would be good.

daern
    Free Member

…so if anyone can suggest a hassle free dropper post (preferably mechanical as I don’t want to have to mess around with hydraulics) that would be good.

I have a Fox Transfer which I picked up in the Mojo fire sale last year. Has worked flawlessly since install, despite some pretty grim rides. Have also had Reverbs too and would also recommend them, although I think the Transfer equally good. Personally, I found it no easier to install the Transfer’s mechanical cable than the Reverb’s hydraulic one which was quick and simple to bleed after installation. I can’t stand any downward or lateral movement on my seatpost, and have found the Transfer slightly better than the Reverb for both. Amazed to read the stories above of inches of lateral movement, which is the stuff of nightmares for me!

In short, I’d recommend either post and by the sound of it, they’d be vastly superior to the E*thirteen one.

chrisyork

I’d say that surely the suspension makers will make the best posts as that’s what they solely do in a way, their seals are designed to keep all the gunk out and they really do!

tetrode
    Free Member

It sounds like Tetrode has got the right idea getting them to send a new one. Just out of interest Tetrode, have you been out in muddy sloppy rides with it? Mine got absolutely grafted yesterday with just light thin mud not big floppy bits and got to the point it wouldn’t even raise…

Yeah my original post seized up halfway through a fairly muddy/wet ride in Afan. I didn’t even need to ask to get sent a whole new post, they just sent one without offering just new springs which is good. The new post is a lot more powerful as I mentioned, and also the seal definitely looks different, so I imagine that’s a better one. It’s worked out so far but I haven’t been out on it in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed this one is better!

muggomagic

Just ordered a new Capra and was looking for reviews of the dropper when I saw this thread. Think I might just sell the e13 dropper as soon as the bike arrives and get an ascend XL or a fox transfer depending on how much I get for it.

robz400
    Free Member

Had problems with saddle rotating and slow return on the one fitted my capra.

Replaced the internal tube which fixed the rotation but it now wont return to even the first locking point.

I’ve given up on it and have just received a new ks lev in the post!  Same as the one on my other bike that has been faultless for ages

beer247
    Free Member

Same thing here – post stopped returning to full height and quite a bit of rotational play.

Sent back to the shop and had the new spring fitted, but not the new seal.

Post action started to feel a little rough so i took it apart as per the instructions on the E13 website – its pretty easy to dismantle and service fortunately.

Found that the ball bearings that work with the cam mechanism had become rusted and pitted and that an internal circlip had been dislodged.

Returned to shop again and it was sorted under warrantly, another new spring and also the new seal installed.

Its all good now, but i bought a Fox Transfer, so the E13 is up for sale!

chrisyork

Well the response was good and quick from them, they’re sending me a new seatpost and I’m to return the old one to them so keen to see what this one’s like!!

chrisyork

I just wanted to update this in case anyone reads it, shortly after my last post I received the dropper post! It seems a far better engineered post for sure, had a bit of a job getting the old post off but I was being a bit moronic as I hadn’t loosened the tension at the lever with the adjuster…..then the cable popped off the post, new one greased and slid in and so far so good! Ok not actually done a ride with it yet but it’s so much more powerful than the last one!

Also a thumbs up to e*thirteen, the support person emailing me actually advised exactly how the old post came off and I’d usually be a response the next day to any questions….and they gave me le-way timewise when I struggled to get the old post off to send it back to them.

Happy to answer any questions, also can pm me on here if I don’t reply promptly as I’ll probs miss the message

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘E*thirteen mechanical dropper post woes’ is closed to new replies.