Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ethics of giving an old helmet away.
  • eulach

It is quite normal here to leave usable articles on the street “zum mitnehmen” – take it with you. I just replaced my DH helmet, which until last month I trusted my head to. It’s too large for my son. Can I leave it out for a stranger?

tjagain

No IMO

taxi25
    Free Member

Put it on ebay 👍

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

You replaced as you don’t trust it with your head. So why would you trust it with someone else.

scotroutes

I replace my helmets when I think they’ve had a long enough life of use/abuse. At that point I reckon that if it’s not good enough for me, it’s not good enough for anyone else.

If you are changing them because “fashion” then it makes sense to pass it on.

bsims
    Free Member

If any safety item is still fit for purpose and you don’t need/ want any more then yes, but as you said you don’t trust it any more then no.

matt_outandabout

scotroutes has it.
    If it is knacked, put it in the bin.

We used to crush the ones from the outdoor centre, cut up ropes into 5m sections with frayed ends, cut climbing harnesses and similar….

eulach

I didn’t word that very well – I was quite happy to use it last month and would have let my son have it for hacking around the pump track, had it fitted. The helmet “may” not be fit for purpose, I cannot guarantee it, but it’s a bit different me making a judgement on it for personal use than giving it to a stranger. I won’t be leaving it on the street for some random to take. Thanks for your comments.

5plusn8
    Free Member

What will happen if someone crashes and hits their head in an older helmet?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

It really depends on how you look at it . If someone is going to wear it instead of not wearing a helmet at all or even if they are going to wear it instead of a non full face helmet then that’s got to be a good deed done . If they are going to use it instead of getting a new one then that would not be such a good deed possibly . Overall I would be fine with giving it away as long as it hasn’t had a hard life .I doubt if it would fall to bits if you crashed in it .

cynic-al
    Free Member

Evidence that it’s compromised spears to be zero?

Why replace it?

Why not pass it on?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ethics of giving an old helmet away.’ is closed to new replies.