Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Ethics and Nazi stuff
  • theteaboy
    Free Member

My Granddad was part of the team which demolished Belsen at the end of the war. He ‘liberated’ a 3-foot Nazi ceremonial sword which, for some reason, he left to me when he died. Thanks Granddad!

It’s been in my garage for a few years and I’m skint now so am thinking about moving it on.

On one hand I’d imagine it’s worth a few quid and I know that he wanted me to sell it. On the other, I really don’t want it to fall into the hands of some neo-Nazi ‘enthusiast’ (maniac).

Anyone know how I might go about selling it?

Should I put it on the Classifieds?!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

ebay.de

MrsToast
    Free Member

Email Lemmy from Motorhead and see if he wants it.

binners

Ask Lemmy if he fancies it

I’ll tell you something about history. From the beginning of time, the bad guys always had the best uniforms. Napoleon, the Confederates, the Nazis. They all had killer uniforms. I mean, the SS uniform is….. ****ing brilliant! They were the rock stars of that time.

EDIT: Beat me too it

xiphon
    Free Member

Donate to a museum?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Would some museum or other pay you for it? To be honest I’d be just happy to hand it over to one without any payment.

Bagstard
    Free Member

He said he is skint!

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

My grandad died in Belsen.

He got drunk one night and fell out of his watchtower.

TAXI!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

This guy?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I really don’t want it to fall into the hands of some neo-Nazi ‘enthusiast’

Well that’s probably where it’ll end up, specially if it’s got connection with the SS.

Post on Stormfront Forum for best price.

neninja
    Free Member

The Imperial War Museum had a Holocaust section – perhaps offer it them on loan or as a gift.

hora
    Free Member

Approach a number of Museums and ask for their Buyer/Artifact Buyer.

Its one of those things thats worth either absolutely nothing or something. However I doubt its worth a massive amount.

I reckon say £700.

My Great Uncles ceremonial sword is priceless.

binners

Go on a killing spree with it, maybe wear a white hood, to discredit the right wingers

binners

My Great Uncles ceremonial sword is priceless.

Is that a euphemism for something unspeakable?

jon1973
    Free Member

I can never forgive the Germans for the way they treated my grandfather during the war…passed over for promotion time and time again.

old, I know.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Can I be the first second to say killing spree.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Anyone got Lemmy’s number?!

He told me that he wanted some good to come to the family from ‘this horrible thing’ and he wanted me to sell it. I think it was the key to some dark memories for him.

I asked a couple of museums about donations but they said it wasnt their ‘kind of thing’ and were completely unhelpful.

To be honest, I’m struggling to see why anyone would want it if they didn’t buy into the ideology a bit.

hora
    Free Member

Is that a euphemism for something unspeakable?

Officers sword.

theteaboy
    Free Member

schrickvr6 – Member
    Can I be the first second to say killing spree.

Nice try!

Before we had kids it was stored in a box under the bed. It would scare the crap out of a burglar!

Anyone need a bike thief deterrent?

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s just a piece of metal. Take an idiots money and smile as you do it.

Squidlord
    Free Member

[bing bong] MuddyDwarf to the forum please [bingbong]

Klunk
    Free Member

you could put it on here or see if any of the dealers listed are selling similar

anagallis_arvensis

My Grandad was in the medical core and was one of the first people into Belsen when it fell…. he didnt say much about it.

Klunk
    Free Member

I’ll tell you something about history. From the beginning of time, the bad guys always had the best uniforms. Napoleon, the Confederates, the Nazis. They all had killer uniforms. I mean, the SS uniform is….. ****ing brilliant! They were the rock stars of that time.

have to disagree with him, the coolest looking WWII uniform IMO was the US paratrooper kit (but i think you’d look a dick wearing either 😉 ) or steve mcqueen sporting the US pilot look in the Great escape obviously.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Thanks Klunk – that’s handy.

a_a – I know that ‘stiff upper lip’ well. Must have been so traumatic.

wrecker
    Free Member

Wasn’t the SS uniform designed by Hugo Boss?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Ooops misread the title as ethnics and nazi stuff.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Hans – are we the baddies?

£50 – and I’ll only use it for doing the turkey at Christmas.

It’s just a piece of metal. Take an idiots money and smile as you do it.

Like selling a bike on E-bay

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I am in possesion of an SS Police Officers sword, and have similar worries about selling. Mine is serial numbered so could be traced to an individual I guess. I have seen the same swords selling for thousands of dollars to US buyers.

…the coolest looking WWII uniform IMO was the US paratrooper kit…

If ‘scruffy bag of shite’ look is cool. Most comfortable and practical, well you might have a point, but lookswise it’s right down there with potato sacks.

rkk01
    Free Member

Is it SS or Wehrmacht? Might make a diffrence in how you rationalise the ethics of the thing.

ETA – Is it just me that finds it odd that persoanl accoutrements, such as uniforms, badges, knives / bayonets / swords etc, can be viewed as embodying the evil of the Nazi regime, whereas “bigger kit” is somehow de-personalised and viewed merely as a (usually very good) piece of military technology / hardware.

That photo ^^ – dressing up in the SS uniform looks totally inappropriate, yet the jagdpanzer doesn’t…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

[bing bong] MuddyDwarf to the forum please [bingbong]

😆

No thanks, got my own swords and i only go for medieval stuff – now if you hand a Landsneckt (sp?) Zweihander i might be interested!

All the blokes i know who do WWII German stuff wouldn’t touch it with a bargepole, for obvious reasons they are EXTREMELY wary of neo-nazi nutters trying to join their groups and nazi insignia/kit is banned from most groups as far as i know.

rkk01
    Free Member

the coolest looking WWII uniform IMO was the US paratrooper kit…

If ‘scruffy bag of shite’ look is cool. Most comfortable and practical, well you might have a point, but lookswise it’s right down there with potato sacks.

Ethics aside, again, the elite German forces – Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe (fallshirmjäger) and especially Waffen SS, were very much at the fore in modernising combat gear, especially disruptive patterns

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Ethics aside, again, the German forces were very much at the fore in modernising combat

FTFY

Edit: I should just add (although it’s sad that I feel I have to), my father fought in WWII against them.

wrecker
    Free Member

fallshirmjäger (paratroopers) were wehrmacht (army), not luftwaffe (air force). Still keen on grey.

BikePawl
    Free Member

From watching to many antiques programmes, have you got lots of other information, documents, photos other memrobelia of your grandfather. Tell your grandfather’s story and why he had that sword.

rkk01
    Free Member

fallshirmjäger (paratroopers) were wehrmacht (army), not luftwaffe (air force).

From the various books I’ve read, I was under the impression that the fallshirmjäger came under the Luftwaffe command structure…

wrecker
    Free Member

I beg your pardon, it seems they were luftwaffe in the beginning.

user-removed
    Free Member

Wrecker – it’s no wonder they lost – they all have their eyes closed in that photo…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That was because the fat man in charge of the Luftwaffe insisted that anything to do with aeroplanes came under his personal command – the Nazi’s were a bit competitive about things like that..

ihaveabike
    Free Member

If this is a real sword from Belsen it is worth a LOT of money..99% of the stuff is fake so you must have documents etc I mean its worth more money than just a few 1000. The market for this sort of stuff is huge especially the in USA and Japan. Id do some research and see who deals with this stuff and get a few quotes.
    Ironically the USSR also had death camps and Stalin killed many more than Hitler, but then again we were on his side so that makes it different..lol. So I wouldn’t worry about any moral stuff, just what bike you going to buy.
    Edit, i presume its a SS one.

http://www.wwiidaggers.com/SSPOL.htm

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Ethics and Nazi stuff’ is closed to new replies.