Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Ethical clothing brands?
  • winston
    Free Member

My wife says I need some new clothes…I’m not one for shopping so its going to be online. I need a couple of pairs of trousers, some shirts and T shirts/Polo shirts. I really don’t want to add to the problems in Indo, China, Bangladesh etc.

The only properly ethical brand used to be Patagonia – are they still good? Who else is out there? I like typical singletrack forum appropriate garb…i.e flannel shirts, bland T shirts with no massive logo’s and jeans, cargos etc

clearly good kit costs but I’m not going to be spending silly money….

Anywhere I should be looking?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Charity shop?

winston
    Free Member

Funnily enough thats what I’ve done for years but it takes time to find stuff that fits etc and I just don’t have that at the moment

niksnr
    Free Member

Have a look at Rapanui. Based on IoW. Even get money off when you send your old stuff back for recycling.

Kamakazie

Ethical or Eco or both?

Look at Finisterre, Jack Wills, Komodo, Universal Works and Community Clothing. Howies?

Mix of eco, ethical and UK made.

footflaps

Patagonia are pretty ethical. EDIT although I see you already mention them.

Still, they make some really nice stuff.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Prana ?? no idea tbh, although they’ve historically come across as yogurt knitting yoga bed wetters. I can’t be arsed looking, someone else might.

riklegge

Prana is indeed fairly ethical. At least they purported to be when I worked for them a few years ago.

binners

Are Howies still lovely cuddly tree-huggers, or now the lickspittle lackies of the military-industrial complex?

i can never keep track

duncancallum

Vaude?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think Prana gear is generally well designed for a reasonable price.

footflaps

i can never keep track

Have to say nothing they’ve made recently has appealed to me. They seem to have been changed by their Timberland experience; or possibly I’m just too old for their stuff now….

I did see someone with a 1st gen Chevron courier bag the other day and did have bag envy…

binners

FF – I’ve still got my first generation Chevron courier bag and use it all the time.

I reckon it’d survive a nuclear explosion intact. I’ve got Howies Jackets the same

Arent Howies now owned (again) by the people who started the brand in the beginning? As a designer I used to love getting their catalogues through. They were works of art

wrecker
    Free Member

Patagonia stuff is still great quality IMHO. I love it.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Second the Rapanui suggestion 👍  you could also look at Community Clothing.

CountZero

I think Prana gear is generally well designed for a reasonable price.

They still going? 😳

I’ve got a Prana tee and tank, which I wore back in the mid 90’s riding in France. I haven’t heard anything of them for years, surprised they’re still around.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Another vote for Rapanui

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Veja for trainers

kayla1
    Free Member

Buy this-

https://ethicalshop.org/ramblers-white-unisex-polo-shirts-with-embroidered-logo.html

for when you’re riding on cheeky stuff 🙂

footflaps

FF – I’ve still got my first generation Chevron courier bag and use it all the time.

I’ve got their 2nd generation one in two tone grey and have used it every day for 10 years without any real signs of wear.

I just wish I’d got the original blue and yellow one!

rone

I think with Howies they are still generally okay.

Finisterre good.

The Hieatt’s are long gone, but I think some of the team bought it back from Timberland.

Hope seem to do UK made clobber now, which I didn’t know.

zilog6128

Bought some jeans from Athlete Denim a while back which I really rate. I know we all have problems getting jeans to fit over our massive quads – these are perfect 😀. “Ethically made in the UK” according to their website.

rene59
    Free Member

My wife says I need some new clothes

Yes, but what does your mum say?

speed12
    Free Member

Fat Face for a high street one. My wife is pretty hot on brands being ethical (and very rightly so), and Fat Face are pretty much the top high street band apparently.

myti
    Free Member

Finisterre and rapanuyi votes here

Duane…
    Free Member

Know The Origin

winston
    Free Member

Thanks guys

Ordered some Prana and rapanui (never heard of either of them before but liked the websites) and some Patagonia

@rene59
    – my mum said you were a disappointment

garlando
    razorrazoo
    CountZero

Just had a look at the Prana site, they do really nice tank tops, I think I shall be investing in a couple.

hatter

The people who founded Howies are now doing Hiut Denim, very nice jeans, made in Wales and now suddenly deeply fashionable since being spotted on the shapely rump of a certain Ms Markle.

They seem to be doing rather well by all accounts.

toby1

Tried on some Howie’s t-shirts in XL the other day, just slightly tighter than my own skin. I know I’m not exactly skinny, but they could be a little more generous with their sizing.

Apparently they will have some of their bib shorts back in stock this week though, which would be nice as I’m not sure when they had them last.

Gunz
    Free Member

Sorry, sneakily marking thread as my ‘good enough for DIY’ t-shirt pile is getting bigger then my ‘can be seen in public’ pile.

globalti
    Free Member

Hard to believe, but Lusso cycle clothing is entirey made in a small factory 100 yards from me here in Radcliffe, Manchester. It’s a pity they don’t make casual clothing.

winston
    Free Member

I think my lusso roubaix knee warmers are not just the oldest piece of cycle clothing I have but the oldest clothing I have full stop! They just go on and on – must be well over 20 years old by now

rone

Forgot about Lusso, didn’t even know they still existed. Might buy something.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The people who founded Howies are now doing Hiut Denim, very nice jeans, made in Wales and now suddenly deeply fashionable since being spotted on the shapely rump of a certain Ms Markle.

strangely, in cinnamon-girl link above, under jeans, they appear on the don’t touch with a barge pole list. might be a misprint.

maccruiskeen

in cinnamon-girl link above

Interesting in their list of ‘what not to buy’ they say

Is it viscose? This synthetic fibre is increasingly popular with designer and high street retailers alike. But its manufacture is causing serious water pollution, which has led to human rights as well as environmental harm.

They could maybe make it a bit clearer that anything labelled ‘Bamboo’ with a nice recycled card swing ticket with a potato print logo on it is just viscose

nbt

MENSWEAR

Community Clothing – made in Blackburn

https://communityclothing.co.uk/pages/about-us

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Ethical clothing brands?’ is closed to new replies.