• This topic has 107 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Doug.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Etape cymru…..your thoughts please
  • iDave
    Free Member

Well that was interesting. Piss poor route marking, which may have down to grumpy locals nicking signs – nice to ride with banjo music carried in the wind. Very very windy on up on the hills, one v bad looking crash, great route. All my legs hurt a lot now. Pleased with 5’50” given the conditions, route, 10 days notice, borrowed bike, and no training etc etc. (other excuses are available)

donsimon
    Free Member

‘Twas a bit blustery up Minera way, I’ve got a couple of photos here…
    http://simoncarter.zenfolio.com/p409184659/h16004341#h16004341
    I take my hat off to you sir, well done.

iDave
    Free Member

I spotted you there, you had that frustrated photographer look as you realised I was going far too fast for any camera outside CERN or NASA

donsimon
    Free Member

🙂
    A nice little climb there, no?
    What was the route like, difficulty wise?

iDave
    Free Member

Route was quite lumpy, nice use of lanes and sheep tracks! The real challenge was the wind, esp the gusts on some exposed descents and the block headwind up a few of the hills.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’d have given it a bash if it was a little cheaper, but can’t see the point as it’s so local. Doing it with traffic just adds an extra dimension.

That’s the wind that buggers up the first climb at Llandegla.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Is there a map of the route online somewhere? I didn’t do the race, but would like to ride the route at some point (in nice weather!)

iDave
    Free Member
    donsimon
    Free Member
    donsimon
    Free Member
    project
    Free Member

There was a bit of moaning ion the local papers about the road closures, and yesterday out and about round wrexham, loads of signs quite a few lying flat on the grass, or facing the wrong way, obviously disgruntled natives not happy about a bike race.

We will have to see if angry of minera etc, lets the race go ahead next year.

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s not too difficult to rectify, send a car/motorbike out half an hour or hour before kick-off to ensure that all signs are in place and or have lead motorbike at the head of the race.

iDave
    Free Member

Half a dozen times there was group of us standing at a junction wondering which way. More marshals or less use of tiny lanes maybe.

donsimon
    Free Member

Chalk marks on the road? All the decent climbs use the lanes and there’s a lot of them.

depth-junkie
    Free Member

felt very sad, some idiots have let Wrexham down badly. i live local and road the etape today, was good to see some village locals getting in on the action cheering the riders on, kids waving and saying hi etc. but even local knowledge did not stop me getting lost 4 times, one time with about 30 others and having to do an extra 4 miles to get back on track. Also the the no. of cars ignoring the closed road signs beggered belief. ive ridden those roads when fully open and have seen no more traffic in parts that we had today, the no. of cars on the horseshoe and back lanes were a joke. All in all very sad, could have been a real showcase, let down by morons. my total time inc all stops and extra 4 miles was 6hrs 7min. wind was brutal in parts especialy the climb over the moors in carrog.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it. There were issues with the signage (I believe we went wrong once, and a marshall on a motorbike put us a big group of us right), cars on closed roads and one of the feed stations. Didn’t spoil the day for me. Cracking day out in great scenery. Wind was tough though.

project
    Free Member

The thing is if its a closed road event you dont expect to see mr and mrs prat, or a power ranger driving towards you, es[pecially on a narrow lane.

Lets hope soem of the photographers got pictures of the offending idiots.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Agreed…
    Anyone else see the ambulance in the ditch? It got out very quickly?

mudshark
    Free Member

So if a car hits a cyclist on a closed road the driver will get prosecuted right?

crazy-legs

This is a growing problem with closed road Sportives in particular. People read all about the Tack Attack on the Etape Caledonia and now similar tactics get used by NIMBYs at a whole range of events. 🙁

project
    Free Member

Nimbyism is on the rise sadly, wether it be incinerators, wind turbines, refuse dumps, open cast coal mining, fracking plants,o new roads and especially rail line reopenings or new build. and lots more of needed infranstructure

flipper29
    Free Member

Route was really good. People out supporting were outstanding.

The feed stations were a joke. Can’t believe you pay all that money and they don’t have one energy bar for anyone!

Pretty crap that they decide to tell us about the gillet the day before.

All in all the organisation was shocking.

Will not be doing this again.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Etape Shambles more like! Started with not getting our gillets as promised. We get email on the Fri before saying their supplies had let them down. Honestly I think that’s complete b*ll*cks. If your supplies let you down, you find another and post items out after the event. Getting £5 returned is taking the p*ss!
    Very poor road marking. Now I’ve ridden a few sportives in my time and never got to a numbers of junctions with no directional signs. There was no food or water at feed no2 and very little at no3. Now I’m guessing they knew the number of entrants, so it’s not rocket science to workout how much water to supply.
    Now I thought I’d entered a “closed road” event. Can’t understand why there were cars on the course! Now, if I’d paid £30 for the entry, I would mind so much, but £65, considering what was provided, I think they’ve taken us for a mug. They don’t deserve to successed at this rate. Not done much for local public relations either.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The was great the organisation absolute garbage, several missing route markers, lack of warning about sharp bends on steep slippy descents, no food or water at feed stops, the 2nd one was a total disgrace – litter strewn all over the road and who in their right mind puts a feed stop on a blind hairpin bend?

The marshals were pretty useless, all in all I agree Daisy, they’ve mugged us off good style! Also the advertised 6100+ ft of climbing was way short, by 50 miles we’d done 5500ft!!

I’ve been dm’d by the organisers on twitter asking me to email them with my thoughts & concerns, should prove intersting 😉

tlr

Signage was shocking. We did 152 km, others I spoke to had done 137km. The bit at 40 miles was unfortunate, the lack of signs near the end was unforgivable.

I also think that a lot of the roads were wholly unsuitable for that many riders (or any riders at all in some cases). My bike looks like I’ve done a cyclocross race, and I think that the number of battle scarred riders seems to suggest that that they should have used larger, cleaner safer roads. I’d rather be on a busy road that’s clean than a filthy, slippy, potholed lane without cars (and that’s leaving aside the number of cars that were on the closed roads).

I’m afraid I won’t be paying £60 to do that again.

YellowBelly
    Free Member

Lets be honest, there were a few teething troubles. If you’ve not organised one before, enlist the help of experienced sportive organisers. I’ve never organised one and I’m sure its tough. I struggle to organise a couple of mates to go riding.

Downers
    – Never sure if roads were shut or not.
    – Route started out on virtual farm tracks, something wider to split the field would be wiser.
    – 6 bogs at start for >1000 punters
    – registering the day before- too much hassle, do it online or something please. Yes, I know its designed to provide a tourism boost to Wrexham with folk staying in hotels, but for those who dont live that far away (<1hr), I dont want to stay over in wrexham thanks(I’m sure you understand)
    – Pi55 Poor (missing) signage
    – Stolen/abducted marshalls (damn those aliens)
    – No Gillet (actually, not bovvered, the zip would have broken in seconds anyway if it was made for a fiver)

Uppers
    + killer route
    + it didnt rain
    + support en-route
    + 25% discount to 2012 event.

Hope the crash victims are OK, didn’t look good.

iDave
    Free Member

tir – Are you really moaning about a muddy bike!!!! My bike is muddy. That happens on little lanes. I never have any indications of tight corners when I normally ride, you use common sense and ride at the speed for the road. Signs were nicked by locals. I stopped at the first feed zone and rode past the others as I had food in my pockets so can’t comment on those, but the second was really badly placed. Litter is hardly the organisers fault. I seem to have done 8500ft of climbing! Registering the day before was a really stupid idea, wonder if the organisers have ever ridden events themselves?

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Basicly we paid £60 and got ripped off. Have posted as much on their facebook page.

donsimon
    Free Member

Basicly we paid £60 and got ripped off. Have posted as much on their facebook page.

That’s a little bit sad in that what should have been a great event is being seen as a failure. The area has a whole lot to offer on the cycling front, some great climbs, some beautiful countryside. Maybe a change of HQ and more riding to the south of Llangollen might have been better. I considered the cost as being excessive, but wouldn’t have a problem if the organisation was tip-top and I guess it wasn’t. As a relative local, Daisy Duke, I can only apologise, the natives can be friendly.

I can only assume that tir also had fitness problems, ‘cos if he/she only trains when it’s dry in this god forsaken country…. 😛

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

I’m a local to (in fact you would have ridden past my house) and part of the reason I entered was to support a local event with which I’m passionate about. Was a real shame as it should and could have been fantastic.

donsimon
    Free Member

*waves at virtual neighbour*

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Waves back 😆

mrchrispy

I’d agree the a couple of the decents were well dangerous if you rode like a numpty…the rule is ride to the ability of both you and your bike. All the food stops were well stocked weh I hit them…maybe ride faster next me :p
    The price isnt that bad, the cheshire cat was 45 quid and that was a fooking joke.
    Doubt I’ll do next year as it’s an expensive gamble with the weather

mrchrispy

Who had the STW sign at the top of one of the climbs btw???

project
    Free Member

Having lived in wrexham for 25 plus years, and visiting there quite frequently, along with cycling most of the route at various times, it does seem to have been put together by a sheep farmer, following a drunken sheep, to many seriously narrow roads, dangerous descents, and sharp bends.

Just perhaps next time a route from Tetra Pak, towards wrexham on a roads via a circuit of the industrial estate, then round a circuit,chirk,llangollen,worlds end horseshoe pass and ,llangolen, corwen,and back via llandegla, and possibly Brymbo and rosset, onto holt back to the industrial estate

donsimon
    Free Member

Having lived in wrexham for 25 plus years,

You deserve a medal. 😛

imnotverygood

Hmm . I thought there would be teething problems…. Bound to happen with a new, tricky to organise event.

walleater

Wales in ‘bendy roads’ shocker!

schnor
    Free Member

mrchrispy – Member

Who had the STW sign at the top of one of the climbs btw???

Twas I! It just said hello to all STW forumers 🙂

Also, I have to repeat what my virtual neighbours said *waves hello BTW* – I’m disappointed in the poor / vandalised signage, and communication was obviously lacking at all levels from the local council resurfacing the wrong road, to the lady who lived at the top of where I was standing who came down and didn’t appear to know WTF was going on.

Hope to see it again next year, and glad you all made it back in one piece 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Waves at the wrectum massive.
    Mostly sadly predictable Im afraid. If they get a second bite of the cherry they will do better. Can’t see it myself though….which is a shame.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Etape cymru…..your thoughts please’ is closed to new replies.