• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Bear.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Estimate for an extension
  • monkeyninja
    Free Member

I’m looking at a new house but it would need the whole load bearing back wall taken out and 5m x 2m extension put on, I am wanting it open plan that’s why the whole wall needs to go
    Does anyone have a rough estimate of the cost of this.. I was thinking about £20,000

iolo
    Free Member

Too many variables to give estimate on here.
    If you only have £20k ask an architect if its doeable on that budget (including all fees).

nickjb
    Free Member

£20k seems reasonable to me. As above there are a lot of variables but that’ll give you say £1500/sqm for the extension and £5k for structural work. You could easily spend more, it should be possible to spend less, but that’ll be harder

jambalaya
    Free Member

@monkeyninja – depends where you live. In the South that could cost double that easily as builders have higher cost-of-living. Sadly you pay VAT on extensions so that bumps up the cost.

KonaTC

Have to agree with iolo

The cost of building an extension will depend on a whole range of things soil type, access, condition of your current house, how its built, drains, building regs, etc, etc, etc

The list goes on and on, I suggest you look around your neighbourhood for someone who has built something similar. Tell them you like what they have done and ask who built it, would they recommend their builder, then be very cheeky ask them how much did it cost did they have any problems. Also your local building control officer is always worth a chat to…

monkeyninja
    Free Member

Thanks for the answers, I don’t own the house. It has easy access down one side and is located in Glasgow. I understand there we loads of variables, was just looking for a rough estimate to see if I could afford to buy and extend the house at the same time. I’m gonna speak to some other people on the street cause they all seem to have either built up in to the loft or extended out the back or both.

woffle
    Free Member

well, we spent approx £2.5K on drawings, plans and permission including all council fees.

We looked at having a 3m steel to take a wall out and was quoted £5K for that alone. We started on a rough estimate of £1K per sq metre but it’s all snake oil – for the same job (2 storey simple extension and some light groundworks) we had quotes ranging from 65K to 195K. Go figure…

a good architect is worth his weight in gold

br
    Free Member

£20k seems reasonable to me.

😯

You sound like the users I normal get, everything they do is real complicated and requires expensive people – everything they want me (and my teams) to do is easy and could be done by a school-leaver in 10 mins…

footflaps

well, we spent approx £2.5K on drawings, plans and permission including all council fees.

We looked at having a 3m steel to take a wall out and was quoted £5K for that alone

WTF?

I had 5 RSJs inc a custom welded job, all made, delivered and fitted for £1116

My drawings were £300, Building control was £180 and Planning permission was £90172.

RSJs in situ: 1 Above front patio door (2.2m), one cross member across building (4m), one post (1.5m), two roof beams (4m each).

Ridge beam with SW ridge plate fitted by brf, on Flickr

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Householder Planning Application Fee is £172

footflaps

You could be right, I just remember is was pretty cheap. I’ve kept a tally of all the costs once it actually started.

project
    Free Member

I’m looking at a new house but it would need the whole load bearing back wall taken out and 5m x 2m extension put on, I am wanting it open plan that’s why the whole wall needs to go
    Does anyone have a rough estimate of the cost of this.. I was thinking about £20,000

without any detail of finishes,heigh, windows,doors etc,i can build a wooden shed on the back for 20,000quid.

We need more detail

monkeyninja
    Free Member

Ha I can build a wooden shed on the back for 200quid, it would probably fall down within a day though… I’m gonna go speak to others on the street and see what they’ve spent. I know nothing about this kind of thing I’m way out my comfort zone here…. Me and DIY are not friends! I’m a baker to trade and have no previous experience of any kind of building work!

trail_rat
    Free Member

I am looking at a similar size extension on the back of my house – with steels as well. – except we would have a kitchen also

My dads a builder to trade and his advice was dont do it till you have 20k in your bank – thats family rates so id expect yours to be a good bit more at full price . ( that includes me doing the dummy work – taking down current utility room , sheds and digging foundations.)

footflaps

without any detail of finishes,heigh, windows,doors etc,i can build a wooden shed on the back for 20,000quid.

Well my very over engineered workshop didn’t cost that much at 8x4m, so I’d be impressed if you could manage to spend £20k on a wooden shed…..

Edric64
    Free Member

If an extension cost 20 k + why can a bog standard 3 bed semi be built for 70k ?

wrightyson
    Free Member

20k?
    I’m in the right game but using a duff calculator I reckon…

project
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

Well my very over engineered workshop didn’t cost that much at 8x4m, so I’d be impressed if you could manage to spend £20k on a wooden shed…..

Built to the customers estimate of cost, and with excessive profit for me 😀 thats why we need more details

trail_rat
    Free Member

Devils in the details isnt it.

He gives no details of what he wants , ive given no details what ive been quoted 20k for….

TheBrick
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member
    If an extension cost 20 k + why can a bog standard 3 bed semi be built for 70k ?

The land is a significant part of most housing costs.

Bear
    Free Member

Most new builds are built of balsa wood, and that is the build cost, not selling cost which includes land, planning, architect, building regs, design, and a proportion of lots of other costs.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Estimate for an extension’ is closed to new replies.