• This topic has 91 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Alek.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Essential Mix – Eric Morillo
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

just off the top of my head, other favourite EMs of mine over the years are King Unique – absolute dirty driving belter, Nils Noa – filth and dirt again, Silicon Soul – twisted house with a unique style. more will come to me.

DezB
    Free Member

Caspa's mix last week was bloody excellent

theflatboy
    Free Member

also, the gabriel and dresden from 2003. what a mix. plus planet funk from the same year. splendid.

Alek
    Free Member

First 10mins of Caspa was special then the bleeps drove me mad!!!
    Do like a bit of D+B so long as its not too heavy (prefer vocally)

Got a DJ Heather Fabric which is still good today. Will check out the EM.

Not heard of King Unique or Nils Noa 😳

theflatboy
    Free Member

king unique are immense, i only saw them a couple of times but they're proper filthy house at its best. obscene, dirty, filthy, immoral, as they once put it. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I've got a Annie Nightingale mix on minidisc by King Unique. Yeah, 'tis good. Only thing I've actually heard by them though.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

the one I played over & over & over til I practically wore out the tape, was the one from the Hong Kong handover weekend. Something about it perfectly encapsulated my feelings about it all & was a great mix of musical influences from both sides of the world. Top stuff. May have to do some more digging around now!

Alek
    Free Member

27.07.1997 – Boy George, Pete Tong, Paul Oakenfold.

Will give that a blast later 8)

BoardinBob

2 Many DJs from 2005 is a cracker

theflatboy
    Free Member

i listened to smokin jo last night. still cracking. got silicone soul from 2005 on now. fantastic. another good one i've remembered is tim deluxe 07/09/2002. i listened to that one so much, it's housetastic.

Alek
    Free Member

Started listening to Gilles Peterson 1997 which I reckon I'm going enjoy. First 17mins were interesting and pushing boundaries for 97 🙂

Awell 2006 on just now……………

theflatboy
    Free Member

now you listen to me, alek, i've recommended several mixes that are not only fantastic but fit your previously mentioned musical preference. i must insist you get on them. 😡

edit – starting with silicone soul 2005-06-03…

Alek
    Free Member

Silicone soul here we come………….physconauts next

BTW – King Unique was superb 😀

Alek
    Free Member

31mins in and this tune is pure class :mrgreen:

Edit: and 45mins in :mrgreen:

Nick

king unique are immense, i only saw them a couple of times but they're proper filthy house at its best. obscene, dirty, filthy, immoral, as they once put it.

Just listening to this and err, proper filthy house FAIL, sorry. It's cheesy, momentarily went in the right direction at about 20 mins in (after an appalling start and a clashy mix at 16 mins), 28 mins or so is horrible commercial dance. 30 mins in and we have more nasty cheesy stuttering vocals over Abba synths. Not sure I can listen to any more. 🙁

Nick

**** trance at 45 minutes 👿

Alek
    Free Member

Try Silicone Soul instead Nick………..

Nick

Got it downloading now, I have a couple of their 12"s

Give Terry Francis's 1998 mix a go. Nice bass driven house. Good example of the sort of thing we used to play at the all nighters we put on in Brixton and Hackney in the mid to late 90s.

DezB
    Free Member

Doesn't sound like the King Unique I got off Annie N. Probably sounds dated now anyway.
    Checked the Trentemoller one? (god was that really 2006?!)
    Optimo was good (just seen that was 2006 as well! I need to catch up!)

BlingBling
    Free Member

Top 3 EMs are

1) Oakenfolds Goa mix 1994
    2) Snap 1993
    3) Sasha 1993

Truth. :mrgreen:

aphex_2k
    Free Member

some of the older carl cox and dave clarke mixes are ace. as are some of the yoda ones. ltj bukem. oh, and the emix from this years drum n bass awards.

it's still rubbish having them on a friday though. boo @ radio1

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Has anyone got any direct links to download any of these mixes (or any other good ens/old school or whatever) please, not the sharpest i.t person.

Believe it or not im sick to death of the 5000 + tunes on my thipod !!!

Need some new music. Cheers 😛

Nick

Pay £2 to Mix Riot

Mix Riot

theflatboy
    Free Member

Doesn't sound like the King Unique I got off Annie N. Probably sounds dated now anyway.

probably, it sounded dirty when i was caning it 8 years agao(!). still, i still love it!

Nick

The Goa Mix is bloody aweful, horrible. Oakenfold made one good record back in 1989 (Electra – Autumn Love (Future 4 mix)) and should have stopped then instead of going off on his ego trance stadium superstar trip.

Alek
    Free Member

Nils Noa EM was spot on. Definitely listening to that again 😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

it's class, isn't it? haven't listened to that for a while, but used to love it.

"darkness… controls the music" etc. 🙂

Nick

Or skip wading through the dross in the EMs and give some of these a go, especially those with Terry & Nathan B2B.

Absurd Recordings

BlingBling
    Free Member

Oh noes the Sasha/Digweed eveything else is white noise brigade has arrived 😆

Nick

Or try here for some good ones

Kult

Sasha and Digweed? More superstar ego driven commercial corportate whores 🙂

BlingBling
    Free Member

Dance music snobs are so hilarious!

Bet you started at some comercial venue like Gatecrasher sweating all your glitter off too!

"Too good for it know though", "learnt the error of my ways", "it's not like it used to be", "reach for the lazers…..safe as f***" :mrgreen:

Alek
    Free Member

I'm having way too much fun on the mixriot and will be for some time too.

When scrolling to every suggestion above I keep noticing another must listen EM. Best link this year by far. Will never tire listening to this site.

and thats only the EM's on the site……………

BlingBling
    Free Member

Oakenfolds urban soundtracks are worth a listen too.
    Like Jackanory to dance music. Sounds gash I know but great for a journey.
    They really are worth checking out, especially The fall of the house of Usher.

BoardinBob

Bet you started at some comercial venue like Gatecrasher sweating all your glitter off too!

Nope.

I've been strictly Detroit from day one 8)

Nick

My first experience of partying (as we called it then) was 1989, Outer Limits in Bletchley, with Eddie Richards as resident, never been to Gatecrasher but I suspect they were quite different nights!

Emotion Electric

10 years later we were putting on nights in Brixton (Kult) and Hackney (Triology) and even in Normandy (v.messy)

Pages of flyers

I've pretty much retired now 🙂 Dub and Tom are still at it, as is Eddie (who must be 60!).

Sorry If I come across as a snob, I guess were were trying to keep the same simple, underground vibe that we discovered in the 80s, it's pretty much gone though now, it's not new and exciting anymore I suppose.

Alek
    Free Member

Gabriel + Dresden……Sweet 8)

theflatboy
    Free Member

yep – bit trancey for some, but i love that one.

allow me to offer up a further couple of gems – switch 11/01/2004; air 2 part crazy french genius 08/03/1998.

Nick

I've had a listen to the Silicone Soul and Nils Noa, both are ok, Nils is better though I reckon.

The Tom Middleton one from 2001 is great btw, really good to chill to, if you can't get hold of his 'Jedi's night out' CD then this is a good alternative (any mix that includes 'The Way' is bound to be a winner).

curiousorange
    Free Member

KingKongsFinge:

Has anyone got any direct links to download any of these mixes (or any other good ens/old school or whatever) please, not the sharpest i.t person.

I posted this a while ago on another dance orientated thread. Check out the hardcore lives radio tuner. It has loads of radio station presets with an easy to use rip button should your ears decide they like what they hear. The stations I most often listen to for old skool are break pirates, pirate revival and remaniss (off line until the 2nd of August).

bedmaker

Anybody know how to chop these mixes into smaller pieces once downloaded to burn to CD?
    I can burn as a data disc to use in my car player but would like some to use in my 'proper' CD.
    thanks

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Essential Mix – Eric Morillo’ is closed to new replies.