Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Eskimo Callboy
  • flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

New video just landed

We Got the Moves

That is all

LAT

each to their own.

RustySpanner

You can’t get Teenage Eskimo in Wantage….

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Thanks LAT
    Totally agree

sirromj

Got to the F bomb and turned it off before kids heard!

Edukator
    Free Member

I was asked not to use the word “Eskimo” on this forum. Apparently the acceptable words are Amerindians, indiginous peoples… or such.

doomanic

That was brilliant!

Murray

I agree with Edukator – per Wikipedia “The usage of the word Eskimo is controversial, many people consider it derogatory or racist.”

First Nation is also an acceptable term in Canada.

doomanic

Some people consider <i>Eskimo</i> offensive, because it is popularly perceived to mean “eaters of raw meat” in Algonquian languages common to people along the Atlantic coast. An unnamed Cree speaker suggested the original word that became corrupted to Eskimo might have been <i>askamiciw</i> (which means “he eats it raw”); the Inuit are referred to in some Cree texts as <i>askipiw</i> (which means “eats something raw”). This etymology, which some people still believe, has been discredited. Regardless, the term still carries a derogatory connotation for many Inuit and Yupik

It would appear to be considered derogatory because someone made a mistake.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Edukator, I’ll drop the band an email asking them to change their name.

dyna-ti

You can’t get Teenage Eskimo in Wantage….

Maybe you should try down the industrial estate late at night.

CountZero

Apparently the acceptable words are Amerindians, indiginous peoples… or such.

Inuit is generally considered to be the appropriate name. Covers the indigenous people of the Arctic and sub-Arctic of North America and Greenland.
    There’s also the Alutes and in Europe the Saami. They’re the indigenous peoples of that region as distinct from First Nations of North America and Canada.

https://arcticmatters.blogspot.com/2010/10/indigenous-peoples-sami-inuit-in-north.html

It would appear to be considered derogatory because someone made a mistake.

No mistake, the term is derogatory and perjorative irrespective of how it’s pronounced in Algonquin.

v7fmp

As a fan of Eskimo Callboy (and various other weird and wonderful heavy bands) i am surprised to see an entire thread dedicated to their latest song!

What a wonderful way to start a monday morning!

JAG

Never heard of ’em but REALLY enjoyed that, especially the weird video! – Ta muchly OP :o)

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

They also had a massive hit last year called Hypa Hypa.

14 million views on YouTube.

hatter

Far too many misereable buggers in metal, this will annoy them no end and the kids will love it, mission accomplished.

greyspoke
    Free Member

So you reckon that one is a good example of it? Though I am not sure what “it” is.

I quite liked it anyhow.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Eskimo Callboy’ is closed to new replies.