Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Esher MTB/Gravel Highlights for routes?
  • belgianwaffle1

Does anyone have any spots that are well worth checking out in the south west london area? I am in Kingston and have done a few 50k loops down into oxshott woods and esher common etc.

Maybe a long gravel road or a technical descent, looking for something to explore.

Thanks.

NormalMan

Have you seen the routes on Giro cafe website?

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Towpath to Guidford or Farnham then back via north downs to Wisely then back up the towpath.

allyharp

Esher Common and Oxhott Heath are the best bits I know of locally. Next to Esher Common there’s Winterdown Wood and Fairmile Common which both have similar trails to extend it slightly.

Linking that down to Cobham gives you a couple of options. Ockham Common has some nice sandy heath land to play around in, though isn’t all that different to Esher common really. Or from Cobham Park Road there’s a short bridleway to Downside, which leads to a private road going under the M25 to Bookham Common. After a short bit on road you can then get back on bridleways through Polesden Lacy and ultimately out to the Surrey Hills in Holbury area. I used to use that a lot to go mountain biking round Peaslake are before getting the train home from Gomshall or Dorking.

swdan
    Free Member

I’ve been doing some if the rides (or part of) from the Pearson Cycles Strava routes page. I’m based near Epsom so have done the bottom loop of ‘Life on Mars’ and am just trying to find the time to do the full loop (2 small kids makes that quite hard!)
    https://strava.app.link/lkKK9g7qi7

jaminb
    Free Member

I live just down the road in Sunbury so thanks for the routes. I often do Allyharps suggestion through Cobham, under the m25, Bookham Common and upto Polesden Lacey to get to the Surrey Hills. aP on here has a really good loop that has a stop at Denbies but I always mess up the bit around Ashstead so will let him post. Normal Man’s Giro Cafe suggestion looks a really good source of rides – thanks.

Maybe a STW SW london group gravel ride when lock down allows?

belgianwaffle1

@NormalMan thanks for the suggestions – looks promising.

belgianwaffle1

@jaminb some post covid group rides would be great, I am in the process of building a sort of gravel bike so I should be able to get in some big miles soon.

NormalMan

No problem

I’m down to do the Pearson Inside Out ride in Sept (entry from May moved) if we can do that then.

swdan
    Free Member

I’d be up for a meet up, currently flip flopping between gravel and road rides at the moment but doing them all on my own until the situation allows

belgianwaffle1

@NormalMan do you have the route link?

peekay

Plenty of options for gravel type rides from Esher. I cross the Thames at either Hampton or Walton on my cycle commute between North West London and Mole Valley, and have explored a few gravel routes over the years.

From Esher it is easy to get across Arbrook Common, under the A3 along the bridleway to Prince’s Coverts then on to Ashtead Common.
    From there cut across to Stane Street then follow it South to Mickleham /Box Hill (a few options to explore round there). Can then either head West along the North Downs and begin heading north again to cut round the back of Horsley or Bookham Common to go under the M25 at Downside (reverse of what someone described above), or continue for a gravelly loop of Leith/Holmbury/Pitch/Winterfold.

NormalMan

The route was shown here but it isn’t showing up now. I believe it is on Strava though

Inside Out

NormalMan

What bikes are you guys riding? I’ll keep an eye for you 😎

belgianwaffle1

@NormalMan

This is what I’m riding currently:

New Bike (05.2020)

But I am building a gravel/bikepacking bike soon for long distance stuff.

jimdubleyou

I’m in Twickenham so bookmarking for later…

Peekay just described my usual route down to Dorking to visit the in laws. Some nice riding off Ranmore Common too.

aP
    Free Member

Waves at @jaminb @jimdubleyou
    We’re in TW7, and we tend to head out to the south west, and we ride a mixture of tracks and roads out all the way to the other side of Leith Hill on occasions.
    Happy to join up with people to ride out and back. Good picking up people points would include Twickenham, Teddington, Hampton Court and Esher.
    There’s a mix of stuff that’ll satisfy most people. And I’m sure other people will show us stuff we’ve never found as well 🤗
    There a good route out to Newlands Corner which currently is nice and dry….

swdan
    Free Member

I’m on a silver Planet X London Road and in this weather a mid-blue jersey

aP
    Free Member

Yesterday I was riding my ’96 yellow islabikes cx wearing a multi coloured biciclista riding shirt.
    Actually – I’ve got a day off on Friday so am reasonably likely to go out unless it’s tipping it down if anyone’s interested?

Tiger6791

Plenty to share if you ever come west.

Horsell Common / Chobham Common / etc

Round the back of Mclaren Technology Centre 👍

View this post on Instagram

Weather!

A post shared by Matt RV (@fantasticmrmatt) on

joepud
    Free Member

Plus one for the Giro rides. I did this a few weeks ago a lot of fun https://www.strava.com/routes/16418295

NormalMan

I’m usually on a white Surly or occasionally a blue 90s Kona btw.

belgianwaffle1

Just did the life on mars route, and it was pretty good fun. Staine street is the hardest part. The fact that you do most of your climing on the first half of the route means the way back is nice. The Chessington Countryside route is suprisingly gnarly and is a bit of a hidden gem. Overall pretty good.

jaminb
    Free Member

I rode this last night great fun – I already knew bits of it but it was nice to find some new trails so close to home. Perfect for gravel bike riding.

https://www.strava.com/routes/23756307

it would be great if a few of us could get a school night ride set up – I am always jealous of the MNPR.

aP
    Free Member

Going out tomorrow morning to Ranmore if anyone’s interested?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Bookmarking this too.

I’m in SW19.

I’d be up for a regular group ride.

kilo

Also Sw19 based, Mrs Kilo and I would be up a group ride, we go out most weekends on the cx bikes towards Box etc, hardly use the mtbs or road bikes now

Current evening loop of choice on cx bikes:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3615140799

belgianwaffle1

A few notes on the routes suggested here (my opinion anyway)

Life on Mars is pretty good and I have finally figured out where to go to get it right. As mentioned before Staine Street is challenging and can catch you out, but otherwise a solid loop.

(Giro rides:)

The regular Belgie is a blast, being quite easy and has some good gravel sections.

The lovelace belgie is not easy at all, and requires a lot of fitness. The route isn’t great, as it sends you through some sort of farm which is a pain in the arse. If you can check and change the route, it does have some potential.

Going towards box hil is good fun, and linking it up with china pig on the way down is always a blast.

The vanila life of mars route is decent but has a bit too much road at the start for something that is meant to be offroad.

jaminb
    Free Member

Decisions decisions shall i do The Lovelace Belgie or the Leith Hill Tower Belgie tomorrow? Forecast looks fair so early start and packing a sandwich for half way – can’t wait.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Esher MTB/Gravel Highlights for routes?’ is closed to new replies.