Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • errr….can i save oily pads & how do i shorten the brake hoses?
  • alpin
    Free Member

1 – shimano slx hoses come up waaay too long.
    only found that out after fitting.
    i’ve got a set of proper cable/housing cutters, will they do?

2 – also i hadn’t tightened the bleed valve up properly on the back so each time i braked oil spat out.

thought about putting the pads into the oven or roasting them on the hob to try and rescue them.

reckon it’ll work?

cheers

J

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You might be able to save the pads with a mix of scrubbing them with detergent / solvent, burning them over a flame and sanding them down. You can destroy the bonding to the backplate doing this and you have a better chance with only light contamination

Dunno what the SLX hoses are made of but I shorten hope ones with a pair of pliers so I don’t see why not. You may well need new olives to reconnect them tho

alpin
    Free Member

already swapped the hoses over. how do i get the old olives out and prehaps re-install them?

otherwise, where do i find olives without going through a really expensive, ****, franchise bike shop?

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Saucer+meths+pads+match = good chance of recovering them. Has worked for me previously with DOT on pads.

Cut hose with anything handy, have used snips, cable cutters and stanley knife.

rolymo
    Free Member

try your lbs for a new compression olive. they will probably have a few shimano ones laying around from all the fitting and servicing they do.

got a couple of avid ones off mine for pence.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘errr….can i save oily pads & how do i shorten the brake hoses?’ is closed to new replies.