Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Erlestoke twelve?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Anyone got any experience of this event?

I’m considering having a bash at the 6 hour solo, or 12 hour pairs, if i can find someone…

here

What’s the course like?

Cheers

orangeboy
    Free Member

My fav cource ever lots of single track and enough open bits to overtake.
    Normaly has a big climb on Tarmac but course does get changed each time I’ve done it

Only thing that’s a slight shame for me is the event used to be 6pm to 6am
    Which I loved. But that’s only a minor thing

gringojimi
    Free Member

Stumbled across this myself just the other day… Doesnt seem to be much info on it out there.

I think it uses the same course as the old Set2Rise event, so hilly but not techy.

singlecrack
    Free Member

First time for me …..12hr solo SS ……will I die ?

tangent
    Free Member

Am not a racer, but took part on someone’s behalf last year.

I found a uper fun course , (was on a rigid singlespeed) and a cool atmosphere 🙂

I may even return intentionally this year!

Goodluck!

Cheers,

J

pete68
    Free Member

Hi mate. I’ve done this as a solo12 for the last 2years.its a really well run event with a great course. More technical than most endurance type courses and good fun. There’s a nice relaxed feel about the whole thing as well. I’d definitely recommend it.

amt27
    Free Member

came 3rd in 2011 – solo male 12 hr,

great event, great atmosphere, last year was too hot for me (mega cramps) and they added a bit more singletrack, which for me caused more holds up than necessary so called it a day after 5 hrs, I should probably have hung around as it gets better after 6hrs when the 6hr boys go home,

worth doing if you haven’t ridden it before,

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

cheers folks looks like a goer, if anyone fancies teaming up as a pair let me know, email in profile, otherwise i will go it alone.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Great event; might have to miss it as family want to go to the beach that weekend. Am only relenting as it’s been a while since I’ve had a surf.

Great course; hope the weather is good 🙂

gee
    Free Member

Doing 6hr solo if it’s not horrid weather.

GB

singletrackmind

done it as a pair in 12;s.
    Great course with some normally inaccessable ( army range / training area ) singletrack.
    good atmosphere especially after 6pm, and again after 9pm when the lights go on. I think we managed a respectable 14 / 40 IIRC.
    Give it a go , I dont think you will regret it, up there with the best 6 / 12 hour courses imo.

julianwilson
    Free Member

orangeboy – Member

My fav course ever

Mine too I think. Didn’t do it last year or this year as it clashed with wee boy’s birthday. No showers and portaloos only as site doesn’t have running water supply, and much smaller than most enduros but this is Definitely A Good Thing, really nice vibe and great course. Only thing that would make it better would be the dawn lap: it used to be 6pm till 6am and that was just fabulous. (I can understand why it is easier to arrange and more attractive to more riders in its current format, can’t grumble too much.)

Do it! 😀

c_klein87

its an ace race, but then i am biased as its just down the road 😀 won the SS 12hr race the last 2 years but might stray onto gears this year, depends if i feel fast as last weeks UK12! George i think you will get on very well there!

http://chris-noble-mtb.blogspot.co.uk

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Thanks for all the positive comments! Last year was just superb, if not too a bit too hot! The overnight format was great, but numbers low hence having to change – we did 2 Set2Rise and this is now the 4th Erlestoke12; it’s great that Set2Rise is still fondly remembered. We did discuss an 18hr format; with a bit more planning we might get that off the ground for next year.
    Charge Bikes are still the major sponsor, so expect plenty of prizes again!

adsh
    Free Member

I’ve been given a pass so will be doing the 6hr solo. Is it rooty/rough enough that an unskilled and uncompetitive crock would want the comfort of short travel fs?

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Depends on what you’re used to riding for that length of time. It is a good hardtail course – that’s what I’d use (especially if damp)

jimification
    Free Member

last year was the first visit for me – Brilliant event and really nice venue for camping on that beautiful Montana style prairie too. Completely blew up in the heat last year but will be back to face my demons next week.

Course was excellent last year, one of the best I’ve done, I think – plenty of singletrack but not too techy for a long race. I liked that road climb, it let the brain relax for a bit….

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Hi Jim, am i right in thinking you gave some good feedback last year? You’ll be pleased to know we’re using the favourite tried & tested MTB timing outfit ‘Timelaps’ this year; hopefully race info should be easier to look at this year.

tinybits
    Free Member

I’ve done it the last 2 years, and bloody excellent it was too. Last year was after the only dry bit of the spring / summer I remember. Hot dusty trails and a brilliant swoopy and singletrack course through the woods, still enough places to get an overtake in on the climbs and the open bits. Sadly lacking in utter racer cocks, with no barging and shouting that I saw. The year before it started raining part way through, but was still dry and fast through the trees, just wet legs / shoes across the grass sections.
    Way out of shape this year so I’m not doing it. Shame really!
    Mind you, I’m not sure I’ll miss that road climb

amt27
    Free Member

Sadly lacking in utter racer cocks, with no barging and shouting that I saw.

it’s a pretty good course for overtaking, so racer cocks don’t get annoyed, far far far better than bikefest which ruined my short lived racing career a week later in 2011 when the fitness from 3rd at Erlestoke put me in the lead at Bikefest, only to be pushed off into a tree, cracked rib, damaged ligaments on shoulder, broken wheel, broken helmet,

jimification
    Free Member

Fuzzyfelt: Yes, that was me – Wife was battling for 3rd in 12hr solo and wanted frequent updates from the supporters. That’s good to hear about Timelaps, thanks.

Are you gonna get an extra digit for the big clock? (or you could just cap the race at 9:59:59..? ha ha:D )

I’m just kidding, a whole bunch of us went last year and we all had a great time, you guys did a grand job 🙂

mikertroid
    Free Member

Just ridden there at Midday. It’s a tiny bit slippy in a couple of places only but if its dry this week it should be great.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I’ve signed up for 6 hours from 12pm – going out the night before for a few ales, (not very sensible) looks like fewer now, as it will take a good 2 hours to get there . . .

but caution to the wind…. frankly i’m looking forward to it. 😀

gee
    Free Member

Just signed up for the 12-6 race. See you all there!

GB

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

anyone wants to hook up for a few beers and whisky on Saturday evening i”l have some in tow …

mail in profile gets you the secret password 🙂

c_klein87

back from marking the course, pretty much dry, most summer tyres will work well IMO. fast flowing course, lots of singletrack as promised, few climbs, usual long tarmac climb. all good.

http://chris-noble-mtb.blogspot.co.uk

gee
    Free Member

Well that was an excellent day out – I won the 6hr solo. Really fun course, proper trails and some really good hills. Dry and sunny to cap it all off. Not a world cup win like Kenta Gallagher but a win never the less! Beat all the teams and pairs too. Thanks to Mule Bar and Repack for the new kit and track pump pit stop 3hrs in! The Spearfish was fantastic again – that bike is perfect for races like this.

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Well done Gee! Glad you enjoyed the race!

scawen
    Free Member

Well done with that George, you are seriously fast! Keep it up! 🙂
    Thanks SPAM for a great course, really varied and fun, specially for the first few laps while I still felt strong. Hope you can manage such good weather again next year! 😉
    Pity about the mix-up with the timing, some of those results are still wrong by the way, for example Matt Porter-Bryant really did 7 laps but you’ve got his 2nd and 3rd laps combined. Some others further down look a bit suspect too…
    One thing I must ask about / criticise… why would you start a race early? Some people aren’t quite there 10 minutes before the scheduled time and I think that is a bit unfair, after people have trained for months with your race in mind.
    Anyway, really great course, looking forward to next year.

adsh
    Free Member

George passed me looking pretty collected. It was a great day.

They’ve missed a lap from me my first 4 are combined and given as 3 🙁 I hope that’s sorted.

Anyways 7 laps 5.45 not bad for my 2nd ever event.

Clink

Course was brilliant! I did 12hr solo ss and managed to sneak 2nd. 😀

Early start was bizarre. Briefing finished we went to get our bikes with 15 mins to spare, turn around a few minutes later and race has started!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

loved it, 6 laps solo from 12-6…

loved the Red Bull challenge section too.

Well done to everyone involved, great course, friendly folk…

i’ll be back.

the briefing was late starting, probably nearer quarter to, i think by the time it finished there was only about 5 mins if that before start time

c_klein87

it was epic again! such a fun course, plenty off place to recover and eat. happy i managed 3rd, and happy Al Singular had his own category as he kicked my ass really! class from Gee as ever

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Absolutely loved it as always!

Only 5 people in my race (6 hour evening solo) because most people don’t seem to even know about the 6pm race, but still had a good battle for the win (which I lost!).

Some of my favourite singletrack on any XC race course, super-friendly atmosphere, bats swooping along the fireroad in the woods by the pond. But best of all was around 9:45pm, coming out of the woods onto the open grass plateau at the top of the course, to find a spectacular red moon rising on the horizon. Absolutely stunning!

gee
    Free Member

Good point about the early start – we went off all of a sudden at 11.53.

No warning, no start gun, just chaos. We weren’t even ready. Given the total cock up with the timing chips though perhaps not a surprise…

I really hope the event runs next year – the venue is fantastic. Just a few little niggles need sorting out.

GB

Clink

But best of all was around 9:45pm, coming out of the woods onto the open grass plateau at the top of the course, to find a spectacular red moon rising on the horizon. Absolutely stunning!

Unbelievable wasn’t it? 🙂

adsh
    Free Member

What was the deal with the chips? It was a great event but it’s a bit of a pisser to have laps docked and places all wrong.

mauja
    Free Member

Great event, easily the most fun 6/12 hour course I’ve ridden.

Shame about the problems with the timing as it’s nice to be able to know what position you’re competing for and the early start was a bit strange but I hope the problems don’t put them off running it again next year.

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Pretty fed up ref the timing problems, apologies. Last yr we used a different crew and had some issue – thought using Timelaps all would be good again……

gee
    Free Member

To be fair the timing chips do have ‘attach to helmet’ printed on every single one, yet they were stuck to number boards by staff at sign on… They even have the direction arrow printed on them I think?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Erlestoke twelve?’ is closed to new replies.