Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Ergonomic mouse for big hands and dealing with CTS
  • Shackleton

I’m suffering from carpal and cubital tunnel syndrome at the moment but have to use a mouse for much of my working day. I’m really struggling to find a mouse that helps as my hands are big (105mm across palm, 215mm wrist to middle finger tip, index finger 85mm, middle finger 95mm) so most mice disappear inside my hand and i end up pressing buttons half way down my finger and being unable to use the scroll wheel.

I’m currently using a humanscale switch mouse in its largest setting (210mm long) with some sugru to improve the grip. The size is good but it feels cheap, the scroll dish is shite and accuracy in use isn’t great.

I really liked the Logitech MX but would like it to be 1.5x larger.

Any suggestions from the similarly afflicted STW keyboard monkeys?

Cheers,

S

perchypanther
    Free Member

Nobody gives a shit about your problems now.

They’re all too busy measuring their hands. 😉

Shackleton

Cheers perchy, made me smile through the pain (big manly sobs into extra man sized kleenex).

z1ppy

You don’t need a ‘normal’ mouse, it may help to move away from that type entirely.. lots of rat or slugs (as I call them) suggestions here:
    https://www.posturite.co.uk/ergonomic-mice.html

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Not quite the solution asked for but assuming it’s only one hand but as a temporary solution maybe try switching hands?

I had wrist/ problems last year and using the mouse really aggravated it, as I’m one of those despicable I.T. Consultants this was a problem, so I switched to my left-hand with the mouse. I was well clumsy at first but you get used to it and now while I’m not as smooth with the left hand I’m reasonably proficient and I’ve stuck with it even though my right wrist is now ok.
    The bemusement on peoples faces when they have to do something on my PC and the mouse isn’t in the expected place is an added bonus.

Shackleton

I’m reasonably ambidextrous and worked LH for 6 months but as I also have CTS in that arm it was only going to be temporary.

posturite do our consults and some of their stuff felt good (Evoluent vertical 4, logitech mx, the ones that look like but plugs) but all way too small. I’ve been trying a track ball thing too and it is OK but still not ideal.

richard

That link z1ppy sent have some good vertical mice in stock. I find they helped me a lot!
    I also learnt to use the mouse left handed many years ago, despite being strongly right handed. I was doing a lot of CAD work at the time and was getting trouble, so decided to try left handed. It only took 1 week to master!
    I use both right and left handed vertical mice now. Both plugged in, just depends which I feel like using. At work it’s usually left handed, partly just to mess with colleagues. I also use a microsoft ergonomic keyboard, that also messes with visiting colleagues too 😉

Shackleton

The vertical mice are good but none of the ones in z1ppy’s link are big enough sadly, having tried them out via posturite.

Shackleton

Any bear pawed semi-crippled computerists in the evening crowd?

db

Switched mouse to logitech mx ergo trackball and my pain went away. No idea how big my hands are but I’m told by others they are big!

cranberry
    Free Member

Elecom trackball from Ebay – will cause you to move your wrist less and they are far better quality than Logitech (who use the cheapest, fail-iest switches they can find ).

Shackleton

Thanks for the suggestion, never really got on with track balls but that one seems like a posh one. Will try and find one to try.

eskay

I have used one of these in the past:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-EM500GPL-Optical-Ergonomic-Buttons/dp/B00008KWWF

At the moment I use my left hand and am now as good with mouse control on left as I am on my (natural) right

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

What about a Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse?
    It’s angled at about 30 degrees – the same angle most peoples hands naturally sit at when they lie their arm on the table. It is quite large too, so much so it took me a few moments to work out I was trying to move the curser with an orange rather the mouse. Build quality is excellent

Sandwich

Like woodlikesbikes I was going to suggest the Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse. They are quite a paw filler speaking as a fellow large handed chap, I use one at work too. The work one is losing it’s grippy rubber on the rounded section of my work one, I’m going to get some Thixofix on it to cure that.

jca

I had similar issues due to undersized meeces, and switched to a Kensington expert mouse. Not a cheap trackball, but it’s big and has a good in-built wrist rest. My first one lasted 12 years (until I quit that job!) and I have got another in my new job. Never looked back – far more comfortable and the cost is offset by the time it lasted.

oldtennisshoes

Ditch mouse and use a track pad?

stumpy01

Anker wireless vertical mouse is only £12 (or wired about £10) so definitely in the ‘take a punt’ price category.

I used to get really bad pain in my wrist forearm with a normal mouse, but it’s been greatly improved since getting one.

jamesoz

https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/wireless-trackball-m570

I know you stated you didn’t get on with trackballs but these are awesome as long as your thumb is still good. Size 11 hands here with more than a few injuries.

Shackleton

Thanks all, will look and see if anywhere locally stocks the logitech and kensington trackball ones. The Elecom ones don’t appeal at the moment as there seems to be lots of reports of import duty being applied, not someting that I feel should happen when the site looks like it is trading in the UK via amazon.

Unfortunately the microsoft sculpt ergonomic mouse is way too small, I ended up pinching it between thumb and pinkie with virtually no palm contact at all to be able to press the buttons.

kneed

I dont know if this helps: I’m an XL / XXL in gloves and use this vertical mouse: it works for me and CTS. It could be just slightly bigger tbh – dont know it that’s worth punt for you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BIFNTMC/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

zigzag69
    Free Member

Another vote for the 3M from me – had mine for years. I’ve also got the Anker one, which is handy when on the move since the 3M is pretty fragile.

speed12
    Free Member

Logitech MX vertical – was starting to get CTS symptoms and changed to a cheapo ‘vertical’ mouse and it completely sorted it. The mouse however failed about 6 months later. The. Bought a similar, cheapo, but rechargeable wireless one. Was great until about 2 months in when the battery didn’t even last the day. Have up and bought the Logitech and it’s superb – comfortable, robust, battery lasts weeks and weeks of daily use, useful connectivity features. Costs quite a bit but well worth it.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Ergonomic mouse for big hands and dealing with CTS’ is closed to new replies.