Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ergon SM Pro – worth the money?
  • nobbingsford

I’ve just bought a Trek Remedy and took it out for a spin on Friday. In almost every respect, I’m really, really happy with it.

The stock Bontrager saddle though, is definitely not suited to my boney backside. After the first couple of miles it was really getting uncomfortable, to the point of spoiling the ride. Ended up with really sore sit bones.

So, I started reading up on saddles over the weekend. In theory, a narrow Ergon SM Pro should be perfect.

But they’re £100.

I’d be gutted to pay that sort of money and it still not be comfy.

Does anyone have one? First-hand experiences welcomed.

FWIW my sit bones measure a 10.5cm spacing and I’m around 75kg.

mmannerr

It is not only the width of ones sit bones, it also shape of them vs shape of the saddle. I’d like to try that Ergon but initial car park tests on mates bikes are not promising so I’ll continue with bargain Prologo Kappa saddles.

uberpod
    Free Member

The SM Sport is only around £60 and is the same shape as the SM Pro but different padding.
    I’d still be gutted to pay that much and it not be comfy so havn’t hit buy yet.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nobbingsford

Thanks both. Surely there must be a better way to choose than simple trial and error (and the months or years plus hundreds of pounds that would take)!

Unfortunately I don’t have many mates who ride, so don’t have the luxury of trying theirs out.

It’s not even like a short test ride round a bike shop’s car park would help either. My stock Bontrager saddle felt fine for the first couple of miles!

Looks like I’m doomed to a sore arse!

Fat-boy-fat

Comfy enough but very poor longevity in my experience. The material at the nose of the saddle wore much quicker than I expected. Only 2 months or so and it was rubbed away.

nobbingsford

Cheers Fat-boy-fat. Think I’ll steer clear. Even if it was dead comfy, I think wearing through after a couple of months use would be enough to name me cry at the price anyway!

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t pay that for any saddle.

WTB Volt (sizes 135, 142 and 150mm wide) with quite thick padding and Specialized Henge (on my FS bike) a bit more minimal padding, are good choices. Better than the STW recommended Charge Spoon/Maddison Flux (I’ve owned one of these as well) which is good enough but not great for the money.

SDG Bel Air 2 seem to be popular as well.

nobbingsford

Thanks Chester – I’ll check those out.

Had a bel air years ago, but can’t remember what I thought of it!

Have a spoon on my other bike and whilst it’s not as uncomfortable, it’s certainly not perfect.

I might give the WTB a go….

fazzini

Fatten your arse with beer and crisps – job done 😉

fd3chris
    Free Member

I really get on with chromag trail master. Very comfy for my narrow ass and seems to last forever.

the00
    Free Member

Proper bike shops will often let you test a saddle on the shop, and bigger ones may even have some demo models.
    I don’t get on with a Bel Air, but find my Ergon saddle ok (I think it’s an SMC).
    My Ergon saddle has however ripped slightly on the nose when the bike slipped down a wall.

LAT

Sq Labs give you a 30 day trial period if you buy directly from their web site. I’ve not used the saddles, but they seem popular over at NSMB.

I have a wtb volt. I have a strange relationship with it. It isn’t “comfortable” when I sit on it, but never becomes uncomfortable during a ride.

nobbingsford

I think fazzini’s suggestion is the most realistic! Problem is I’ve been trying that for years and still have a bony arse! 😁

Cheers for all the suggestions though. I’ll continue the search…

StirlingCrispin

I was thinking this last night – the saddle on my Trance is not comfy.

I really like a SDG Bel Air – only £25 but plenty of support and last well. I can’t bring myself to pay more when these are so cheap.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sdg-bel-air-steel-saddle/rp-prod111702?gs=1&sku=sku487457&pgrid=60711843258&ptaid=pla-425649977642&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sDySkUTDf_dc|pcrid|309840119912|pkw||pmt||prd|487457UK&gclid=CjwKCAjwm-fkBRBBEiwA966fZGgY7JIXCPLKlNcBGiSRtqPx-1_IMJ0A05fc1TLkxdJl2zKQhqxOYhoC3GgQAvD_BwE

nobbingsford

Well, hats off to chestercopperpot and LAT:

I took a punt on a cheap WTB Volt sport (£21.49) in the narrow 135mm width and gave it a whirl yesterday at Kirroughtree. I honestly never thought about it once during the ride.

Success!

Cheers guys.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

If anyone is after an SQLAb I have a couple of theirs I am not using… And a couple of Ergons actually…

aide

Have often thought a saddle swap-shop would be a good idea, I have a few of those mentioned above and am still looking for a good fit. @Groundskeeper I may be in touch

nobbingsford

Thought I’d add to this thread after coming across this at CRC:

WTB Test Ride Kit

Still quite pricey, but not as pricey as buying 8 full price saddles to try!

Quite a nifty idea I think.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ergon SM Pro – worth the money?’ is closed to new replies.