Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ergon SM Pro vs SQ Labs 611 Ergowave
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

Any got/used/tried either of these 2 saddles?

I have struggled with saddles due to senstive area and a previous injury so always interested in the ergonomic side of saddles.

I have had my eye on the Ergon since it was announced and it gets a really good review on singletrack:

Review | The Ergon SM Pro Men’s Saddle Wins A Singletrack Recommended Award

However the SQ Labs has caught my eye and I have read that a few people prefer it over the Ergon. I am not completely sold on its looks/shape but read good reviews/opinions.

SQlab Ergowave 611 saddle review

Or shoudl I stick with my original choice and get the Ergon?

Fat-boy-fat

I’ve got the SQ labs, which replaced an Ergon SMC3-L. Not quite the same Ergon you are looking at but mebbes close enough. In terms of comfort, I found the two saddles pretty similar to be honest. The big difference was in build quality. The Erhon wore through at the nose very quickly (hence why I replaced it) but the SQ labs is wearing much better.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback!

I might order both and try them on the bike at home to see how they feel.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Got the Ergon today. Feels very narrow compared to my WTB pure but the size guide put me on the S/m so it might just take some getting used too.

If it’s not great I will try the wider one or the 611.

Poopscoop

Bookmarking.👍

jayx2a
    Free Member

Will feedback after ride out tomorrow. Hope it doesn’t kill my back side as it just looks narrow. But it’s the size Ergon recommended!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I’ve used both.

Prefer the SM Pro but saddles are so personal you ay differ. Both really good.

jayx2a
    Free Member

I think it’s the width. I’m at the top end of the SM so ML might have been better. Will find out shortly!!

jayx2a
    Free Member

So first ride out. Just a small 5mile ride through the forest.

Initial feelings were it was narrow. As my sit bones are near the top of the small/medium size I did feel they were quite close to the edges. But saying that I have been riding a WTB pure which is 148mm compared to this 138mm Ergon.

Saying that the smaller size allowed full freedom of movement with zero feeling of any chaffing and the cut out and middle channel relieved any pressure.

It’s quite firm, but it’s brand new and I am wearing rather knackered padded Endura shorts where the padding has worn so thin they really don’t do much!

The wider version is 154mm I think which is even wider than the Pure so probably too wide!

Longer ride out tomorrow so will feedback again as it might help any potential buyers!

jayx2a
    Free Member

2nd ride out and not so good. Half way through a 7mile ride my sit bones were burning. I’m not sure if the saddle is too narrow or it’s just too hard!

aide

👀Watching 👀

I went in the other direction from you jayx2a and have ordered the sq labs saddle (been keenly interested since i went and seen Hans Ray last year). When it arrives I’ll post up a review here

jayx2a
    Free Member

Be interesting to see how you find it. There is a post on MTBR about the Ergon and it seems a few people are having same issues and swapped to the SQ.

Did you get the normal or active one?

aide

Went for the active saddle. Will have to look  for that MTBR post

jayx2a
    Free Member

I’m either going to try the wider Ergon or 611 active. The wider Ergon is proper wide though. I think they should have made 3 sizes!

aide

So, the saddle arrived today. Quickly put it on and went for a small spin after work (think it was only about 7 miles). First impressions are good, seems firm and supportive and does seem to fit my @ss quite well. Think I’ll have to tweek the angle a bit more to get it totally right for myself. Going to wait until the weekend and do a decent mileage on it, ill report back then

treksuperfly
    Free Member

Ordered a 611 active which arrives tomorrow so will try and test it tomorrow afternoon otherwise its sunday even …. ill report my findings but with luck my saddle spending spree is over …. Ergon , spesh Henge ,Bonty and a few more will be up for sale

jayx2a
    Free Member

How are the longer distances going on the Sqlabs?

aide

Went round Newcastleton yesterday, (about 14 miles, not long). Saddle felt good, only thing that niggled was just at my sit-bones (left one mainly which is the side affected by sciatica), im putting this down to getting used to the different seating style as the rest of my @ss was fine. I didnt have any padded shorts on as i wanted to really test the saddle out. There was times i totally forgot about the saddle, think i just need a few more miles in to get used to it. Like treksuperfly i might be having a mass saddle sale soon to get rid of rejects

chrisdw
    Free Member

If anyone is selling the S/M Ergon I would be interested!

treksuperfly
    Free Member

First ride on the 611 went well , it was a 5 hr race so a good test but a bit silly for a first ride …. but not a single ache or sleepy little fella and no hot spots . I did have to stop to slide it a bit further forward on the rails and it was a little odd at first in the way it cups your sit bones but other than that it just melted away and left me to batter myself for the race .
    So it a big thumbs up and is staying so let the saddle sale commence

jayx2a
    Free Member

How are you guys getting on with the 611? The Ergon is definitely not for me.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Ergon SM Pro vs SQ Labs 611 Ergowave’ is closed to new replies.