Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Ergon grips with little bar ends
  • DT78
    Free Member

For my scale, any experiences? They probably look a bit dorky but reckon the extra position could be nice on a wide flat bar I often find myself holding the end of the bars, and on really long rough descents (like afan blade) I start getting numb hands. I’m still on the old original grips that came with the bike so time for an upgrade

FOG

Tried the ones with the shorter bar end( there are some with longer ends) but didn’t really get on with them. You can adjust the angle of both the bar ends and the flat part of the grip but I never seemed to get them very comfortable. I went back to conventional grips.

sockpuppet

I have a pair of the GP2 with the little bar ends, on my kinesis XC bike, at the end of 3T Xida flat bars.

I really like them. First ever ride out was the SDW in a day. Several adjustments over the course of the day and I had them set. I really like the extra hand positions for long days out.

I wouldn’t descend holding the extensions though! 😬

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I tried them (well some KCNC ones) and never got on with them. I found they pushed my hands too far in on trial descents and I didn’t feel in full control. Though mine did have palm rest extrusions too.
    I did have relatively narrow bars compared to modern trends (720mm). Rolling them forward a lot helped but still not as good as standard grips.

They were good for XC style stuff.

antigee

ran some for quite a long time great for non technical trails/bridleways/forest gravel/roads to give different positions on long rides/draggy ascents and they are great for that – don’t ride that technical but didn’t really like on standard dark peak descents I don’t death grip and have small hands but too much flat portion to get a grip…all a bit of a compromise albeit one that works for long day comfort…wouldn’t say no maybe borrow some and see how they feel for you

Oblongbob

I’ve tried them in the past and found that, while they were comfy, the flat bit on grip wasn’t ideal on more technical trails – sounds like several of the views above. However, I do love bar ends, so now I just run stubbies with normal grips (ESI silicon foam ones which avoids the lock ring creating an uncomfortable lump next to the bar end). Bar ends just make so much sense for me, especially for climbing.

stayhigh

Had the GP2 (?) little stubby ones, and really appreciated the extra hand positions over long rides. Will be getting a new pair soon.

rOcKeTdOg

I love them on my single speed, for the cruising hand position and the extra leverage when climbing
    2019-06-19_09-21-20

thepurist

I’ve got a barely used set in the garage – got them a few years back to get back to riding after breaking my hand.  Not sure what model they are but can take a look tonight if you’re interested.

witterings
    Free Member

Never tried the shorter ones but have longer ones on my 29er and use them a lot just to give a change of hand position / some relief from time to time especially on longer rides and really like using them in a very relaxed way on moderate paced stretches when we’re just cruising along.

I’ve always taken the view there’s virtually no downside to having them but an nice option to have at your disposal in case you do want to use them.

Would be interested in comparing the shorter ones to see if there’s any benefit although again longer ones provide you more “options” and I often just side my hands on the curved round tops on the ends giving in effect another position.

molgrips
    Free Member

I use the non-bar end versions on my rigid bike and they really work for a long distance adventure bike; but I don’t like them on more technical terrain. I scored some unused bar-end ones for peanuts on here (thanks whoever that was) but my wife’s nabbed them for her hybrid 🙁

I’ll have thepurist’s ones if no-one else wants.

sl2000

I recently got some Brand X Stubby bar ends which are perfect for long XC rides. Have had Ergons in the past but they’re heavy, I wasn’t sure about the grips themselves, and the ends are a little too short.

martymac

I use the normal ergon grips, (the ones with the wings) they are the only way i can ride now, i love them.
    A mate has the same ones but with full ski bend bar ends.
    I agree they look a bit . . Special, but he swears by them, and like me, can’t ride without them, due to numb hands otherwise.
    My wife uses some cheaper claud butler ones with stubby bar ends, she’s happy with them, but I don’t find them comfy at all.

thepurist

I’ll have thepurist’s ones if no-one else wants.

OK – will see if DT78 wants them first, but will dig em out tonight to make sure they’re as I remember.

benp1

I think I have some GP3s in the garage. They were used on jones loops for a while, I really liked them but took them off when I fitted pogies. They were also lethal at hooking nettles and brambles!

I like bar ends so for me the Ergon grips work, but I’m currently using ESI grips and cane creek bar ends

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

I’ve got the short stubby ones and I’m a fan.

For long rides cured the numb hands and the extra bar end is big enough to wrap my digger sized hands around for a climb or juat alternate cruise position.

Careful on the adjustment of the angles of end and flat bit as it can make a huge difference to comfort.

Ride a combo of long distance and techie trail centre stuff and all good.

Only downside is they can hook brambles (ouch) and you have to put up with mates piss take but they disappear when you put distance between you when you head up hill 😉

Oh be careful as they come in mtb and commute flavour with different weights too.

James

thepurist

Found em! Minor scuffs on the bar ends and slightly grubby, but otherwise seem OK. PM me if you’re interested.

NormalMan

Are these ones with the mini bar ends suitable for flat bars that would not usually be ok to have ‘normal’ bar ends fitted?

lardman
    Free Member

I use them on my flat- bar gravel (the older people amongst us can call it a hybrid) bike.

Great for longer rides over mixed terrain, although only use the stubby ends occasionally for out of saddle and longer climbs.

I’m keeping ‘em, no matter how they ‘look’.

Saccades
    Free Member

I use them for twentyfour12, ace little things but look a bit special

downshep

Have two sets (stubby and L-bend).Took a while to set up, the ‘blade’ that extends rearwards from the grip needs to be angled surprisingly far upwards to support the heel of the hand. This reduces ‘death grip’ and spreads load / vibration across the palm. Mightily impressed with them In addition to variable hand positions, they delay wrist fatigue, cramp and stop your hands sliding off the grips.

Yes I fit them to risers, yes they look terrible but…I wear crocs with socks, so geeky bar ends are the least of my worries.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Just inherited an older pair of these (Ergon GR2 magnesium) on a full-build

Initial impressions are – grips are good for long stretches/gravelly bits and stubby ends are surprisingly useful for climbs.

If they look ‘weird’ or ‘geeky’ then file under ‘you’re a grownup talking about bicycle handlebar grips in terms of ‘fashionable vs uncool’and you call my grips ‘weird’?

PS socks go on the OUTside of Crocs to prevent other people’s self-respect leaking in to your camping and biking fun.

molgrips
    Free Member

The ones thepurist sold me are a different shape in the grip to the really old ones I was using, and they are outstanding. The bar-end bit – good, but would probably still be good without because the larger grip is easier to rest your palm on anyway.

But I think they make most sense with a higher sweep bar, which is probably the reason they spent so many years in my spares bin.

thepurist

Glad they’re finally getting some use molgrips!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Ergon grips with little bar ends’ is closed to new replies.