Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Ergon GP1 Grips users – is there any turning back?
  • sirromj

I’ve finally replaced a pair of old Ergon GP1 biokork grips which were worn down all the way to the inner plastic tube by thumbs and little fingers, with grooves for the rest of my fingers in between.

Decided that they were clearly holding me back from shredding the gnar proper so went with some Lizard Skin Peatys.

The question is, have I wasted my money when I really should have got a new pair of GP1s? The regular tube shaped grips feel all arkward & insubstantial.

sirromj

Shit guess this isn’t the hot topic I thought it was.

martymac

I use ergon grips, no idea which model, but i cant see me going back to regular grips any time soon, ergon are just so much more comfortable.
    Remember there wont be many people on here at midnight Saturday, most folks are either on the lash or givin it zeds.

teamslug
    Free Member

I went for ergon grips about 18 months ago as I was having problems with numbness. Never looked back. One of the best upgrades I’ve done. Did mayhem solo and nearly 18 hours before a decent break and no hand pain at all. Can’t say I’m super gnar but they haven’t stopped me ‘ giving it large’ ish!!. Got one bike with race face grips and after 10 miles or so my hands are hurting, guess they have made me soft.

YoGrant
    Free Member

Conversely I hate ergons. Way too much material around the palm and feels like I’m not properly able to hold on with them as ring and little fingers don’t get full wrap. But worst of all they look awful!

I’m really liking the ESIs on my Jones bars, fat foam but confirm to hand shape well. I expect grips are a very personal thing though. My Klein has grab-ons which are also superb.

sirromj

Done a week of short commutes with the Lizard Skins Peatys now, as well as a couple of longer rides (20m & 50m) and can conclude they’re definitely better for when throwing the bike around off road and that the Ergons are better for slow and/or long rides.

I more or less forgot about the regular tube shaped grips when riding harder and/or off road, and in fact thought I noticed an improvement in manouverability due to less restriction in wrist position in comparison to the Ergons. The Ergons however definitely support the wrist which is more comfortable on longer rides and slow-day commutes.

As I’ve got a 2nd pair of GP1s on the FS, makes sense to swap them with the Peatys on the commute HT.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Ergon GP1 Grips users – is there any turning back?’ is closed to new replies.