Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Erecting shelving
  • nicko74

The missus wants me to put up some Ikea shelves in the pantry, and, not being at all handy, I’m after some pointers…

Shelving on drywall I’m not too bad at – insert wall anchor jobby (this kind of thing), hold shelf, screw in screws.

But the pantry is an older room, seems like lath and plaster on brick, with the brick much closer to the surface in the corners (where the shelves have to fix). Sooo… how do I go about it? Shelves may be up to about 25kgs in total when they’re fully loaded.

globalti
    Free Member

Er… Rawlplugs and screws?

Do you want some brackets? I’ve got 15 like this that you can have if you pay the postage. They are used so a bit manky and rusty and will need painting. They are about 200mm x 150mm:

thepurist

globalti+1 – with the right plugs and a good long screw and your missus should be well satisfied with your erection in the pantry.

nickjb
    Free Member

As above rawl plugs and screws or hammer in fixings. You’ll need a hammer drill and if the wall/plaster is old you might make a bit of a mess. A slightly dodgy hole can be ‘fixed’ with some gripfill before you put the rawl plug in.

I prefer screwing batons to the wall then putting the shelf on that as it spreads the load. Ikea shelves tend to come with brackets, although I’m not totally convinced by some of them.

DezB
    Free Member
    stuartie_c
    Free Member

DIY solution:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartie_c/sets/72157633155135527/show/

Uprights are 2″x2″ screwed/rawlplugged to uneven lath-and-plaster wall. Good idea to use a cable & pipe finder, just in case.

nicko74

Hmmm… so a bigger drill is the starting point, eh? Good to know, will get cracking on that. Shame I just bought one that isn’t a hammer drill.

Globalti, thank you, appreciate the offer. I’m not in the UK though, so postage would probably be prohibitive 🙁

Thanks for the tips, my impressive erection will hopefully be standing proud shortly

project
    Free Member

If you live local i will do the job for you, when the wifes out, you can then tell her youve done it and earn loads of man cuddles off her.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Erecting shelving’ is closed to new replies.