Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Epping Fail
  • plyphon
    Free Member

Hello,

We went up Epping Forest this Saturday after seeing a bunch of videos on the EssexHertsMTB website – decided it would be worth the 50 minute drive as we were over Essex way anyhow.

We came away slightly disappointed having only really found 2 trails! A certainly nothing from all the YouTube videos.

We parked at 1, and rode towards 2.

At 3, we found a short trail starting with a few rollable jumps and a couple of berms. We sessioned this for 10 minutes expecting there to be a load more round the corner.

Unfortunately we didn’t find any other trails around that area, and after walking up that hideous hill for the 2nd time decided to try over the other side, 4. However we only really found bridleways with no “real” trials shooting off here.

Epping is a huge place and I expect we were in the wrong area – can anyone give me better directions for next time?

We followed the directions on the EssexHertsMTb site instructing to park at High Beech – did we just simply go the wrong way at the start? Are the trails “below” us at no.1?

Cheers

shermer75
    Free Member

You’re right, Epping is massive and you will only get the best out of it by following a local. It’s a good, fun place to ride (in the summer!!) but I don’t want to get your expections too high- I ride there because I live a twenty minute bike ride away. At a 50min drive you might be able to go somewhere more challenging. Don’t write it of yet though- try and find someone to go with who know’s it really well first!!

The-Beard

I lived in London for 10 years and rode Epping a lot. It took me a very long time to link trails together to make a decent ride and I was still finding new bits right up to when I left!

Can’t say I miss the winter mud much.

qwerty
    Free Member

Ahh, all the best bits begin at 5!

Turn up at Carls tea hut High Beech around 9-10am on a Sunday and ask around for someone to show you round. Lots of the best bits are hidden away behind bushes.

qwerty
    Free Member

PS. It is actually possible to rode from Epping town to Whoppa Cross entirely on singletrack.

qwerty
    Free Member

Make that “ride” and Whipps” damn predictive text.

plyphon
    Free Member

Maybe next time we are close we will check it out again, if it really is that thinly spread out then perhaps not worth another 50 minute drive.

Whilst we were there I kept seeing plenty of Kashima’d up XTR loaded 120mm + trail bikes passing, everything from a Cotic Soul to a full on triple crown forked DH bike – not sure if that’s the London salary in full effect for some of these people or what – but the riding has to be surely be somewhere to warrant those bikes!

theprawn
    Free Member

It depends where you’re driving there from for those 50 minutes.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Whilst we were there I kept seeing plenty of Kashima’d up XTR loaded 120mm + trail bikes passing, everything from a Cotic Soul to a full on triple crown forked DH bike – not sure if that’s the London salary in full effect for some of these people or what – but the riding has to be surely be somewhere to warrant those bikes!

See the ‘Are you overbiked?’ thread!

Grizla
    Free Member

I love Epping, there are some (IMO) great trails there.

But I ride with locals that know the place inside out, and although I’ve been there countless times I still don’t think I’d be able to find my way round on my own.

I do always see loads of trails all over the place though, so I reckon you could have a good day as long as you weren’t to worried about finding your way back to your car!

2-sevens-clash
    Free Member

Whoppa Cross .lovely

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Epping Fail’ is closed to new replies.