Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Epic Short Walks
  • number18
    Free Member

Anyone got any recommendations for family walks in the Peaks/Lakes/Dales/top half of Snowdonia? Our daughter is nearly 6 and can walk 5 miles with hills thrown in. Ideally some fantastic scenery to be included on the route. For example, 3 miles round Lyn Idwal near Capel Curig was a big hit just after she’d turned 4 nearly 2 years ago so she could take on something a bit bigger now.

I’d love to hike the Welsh 3000s with her when she’s big enough!

number18
    Free Member

Is ‘epic short’ an oxymoron? Apologies! Hopefully you know what I mean if you’ve seen the scenery at Idwal!

midlifecrashes

Dufton up to High Cup Nick and back, decent pub and YHA in Dufton too.

Moel Famau from Cilcain, a perfect little mountain, fantastic views from the top.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martinhutch

Haystacks near Buttermere has a bit of everything.

number18
    Free Member

Sounds perfect, thanks.

senorj

Catbells.
    Junior j did it at 5. Get the ferry back to Keswick. 👍
    Castle cragg. Can be scary(le puff,le pant)trying to keep up with them on the steep bit. All part of the fun.
    Sale fell & wythop , lords seat & barf are all within easy reach of whinlatter with a laal bit of map reading.

slowoldman

A circuit around Marchlyn Mawr reservoir starting and finishing at Talywaen above Llanberis. Great views over the reservoir and down into Nant Ffrancon.

PMK2060

Ingleton Falls. Does get busy at times though.

tewit
    Free Member

Something a bit different. How about Morecambe cross bay guided walk? It’s about 8 miles with a couple of river crossings. She could do it for charity or just tag along. Our little one is 7 in May and wants to do it with the older ones this year.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Was gonna say cat bells too, also castlerigg along walla crag is bloody lovely, could carry on as far as the wee one will go.

Lonscale fell is braw, a few different ways to go.

dti

Precipice walk and panorama Dolgellau
    Or to the lake and back up cader idris

RustySpanner

slowoldman

Subscriber

A circuit around Marchlyn Mawr reservoir starting and finishing at Talywaen above Llanberis. Great views over the reservoir and down into Nant Ffrancon.

I don’t know Talywaen, but was just about to suggest Marchlyn Mawr.
    Loads of nice walks from the access road to the south.

Alternatively a circular of the quarry from the turning circle past Dinorwic (Bus Stop Quarry), calling in at Lodge Dinorwic for coffee and cake.

Nice walk from Bus Stop Quarry via Blue Peris outdoor centre down to Llanberis too.

Or Lodge Dinorwic down the Fachwen and then off to the right on the path to Brynrefail.

Basically, there’s loads. 🙂
    Just pick a path and go exploring.

matt_outandabout

How’s your scrambling? Ours did Sharp Edge aged 7, 9 and 10. If you’ve not done much, don’t do it. But it’s a short walk around.

Cool low level walks we did include Lacey Caves and a loop in Armathwaite gorge in the Eden Valley.

Ullswater using the ferry – walk from Glenridding to Hometown, ferry back again.

Aira Force.

In the Peak – Rivelin has a couple of superb loops as did Strines which our kids still remember.

Stanage plantation up to the pole and back down. Boulder tastic.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Sgwd yr eira in the brecon Beacons.

Flattish riverside walk passing a few decent falls, then steps down to sgwd yr eira which is a big waterfall that you can walk all the way under and behind.

Garry_Lager

Scafell from Wasdale is doable – epic views, short in adult mileage (prob 5 or so?) but is a long day with a young kid, so needs to be a fine spring or summer day.

We did it with my daughter when she was 5 and she loved the whole climbing the biggest mountain in England!!! thing, and like most kids will slay any scrambling or otherwise interesting path (e.g. Mickledore). It’s the more mundane stuff that can get a bit challenging, but my daughter could climb Everest if you strategically placed maltesers every 200 yards.

bensongd
    Free Member

Black Rocks in the Peak, lots of little paths and a bit of everything. Mine loved it at that age and still do.

number18
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks all, all sound great.

Scrambling is fine by me but my o/h might struggle, might save that one for a daddy daughter day!

I’m going on Strava now to build some of these routes!

mikesbikes71
    Free Member

As a gentle introduction to lakes walking how about walking up to Rydal caves and continuing on up to Loughrigg fell. Starting from Rydal water it’s only about 3 miles up and straight back down. The caves are impressive for kids and it’s only a 800ft ascent.

slowoldman

Strava? I would suggest an OS map.

number18
    Free Member

Appreciate the advice slowoldman! I always use Strava as an initial route planning tool and often use some sort of Garmin device (Edge / Forerunner / Fenix) for navigation while en route. I’ve used this method for mtb rides incorporating trails such as Nan Bield, Welsh 3000 trail runs, 800 mile road rides across Eurpoe. You should give it a go!

Of course I’ll have an OS Map for this and it will have been studied before embarking, but it will be in my pack as a back up and won’t get used as usual.

skeletor

On Tuesday we took our 5-year-old up Llanberis path from YHA LLanberis to the junction with the Pyg track about 100m below the summit of Snowdon, then down the Pyg track to YHA Pen Y Pass. We then got the bus back to Llanberis the next morning to collect the car. He managed fine and if the weather hadn’t been 60mph gusts and horizontal hail then we’d have made the summit. Cake at Pen Y Pass was a big incentive for the last mile or so.

We’ve also done Barden Tower to Simon’s Seat and back in Wharfedale, and Edale to Mam Tor and Kinder Scout (not in the same day), so they should all be possible too.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

As above Dolgellau Panorama walk on a sunny day is spectacular (and mostly flat).
    Also handy for Barmouth/beach/fish & chips when you’ve finished.

Also handy for Coed-y-Brenin which has some nice walking. There are some awesome waterfalls not far from the centre.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Up the ~1 mile route that hits 33% from Prestatyn (Ffordlas then Hillside) for the stunning view from Gwaenysgor.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Excellent thread – my girlfriend hasn’t done much hill walking / have much fitness but is keen to get out there, so might try some of these with her.

Ta!

mrb123
    Free Member

As suggested, Haystacks is a great walk. Do it as a loop up Scarth Gap and down Warnscale.

Nice loop up to Sty Head tarn from Seathwaite and then up to Sprinkling Tarn and down Grains Gill.

Place Fell is lovely.

Bowscale Fell via the tarn makes a nice loop, bit quieter up on the Northern Fells.

Walla Crag, descend to Ashness Bridge and back along the front.

jacksdad
    Free Member

Binsey in the northern lakes. Up and down in less than an hour. With views over to Scotland. It really does pay back more than you invest.

jekkyl

Lud’s Church on the edge of the Peak District. Google it, it’s cool.
    Chrome Hill in the white peak. And it’s neighbour parkhouse. Takes like 20 mins to climb but it’s cool.
    The cloud at Dovedale in the Peak. Again short steep climb for awesome views.

number18
    Free Member

Thanks all. We’ve just bought our first family tent and we’re looking forward to some adventures. I’ll be making my way through the suggestions made here and will see if we can our camping with these spots in mind!

mrsheen
    Free Member

Apologies if repeating suggestions:
    Mam Ridge walk.
    Kinder Scout – try and include the downfall and rocks.
    Helvellyn.
    Old Man Coniston.
    Several of the peaks near Snowdon. Park up at Ogwen Cottage side.

slowoldman

I’ve used this method for mtb rides incorporating trails such as Nan Bield, Welsh 3000 trail runs, 800 mile road rides across Eurpoe. You should give it a go!

Yes I use GPS for road and MTB. Walking I tend stick to old school, though I have used GPS on the odd occasion. Anyhow my comment was really to do with looking for routes rather than plotting a route I’d already decided on. I didn’t word it well.

hols2
    Free Member

Is ‘epic short’ an oxymoron?

Epic = long narrative.
    Short = not long.

Therefore:
    Epic = not short.
    Short = not epic.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Epic = long narrative.

In this context I read it as scenery/views

franksinatra

Good thread, bookmarked

robbo1234biking

Jekkyl beat me to it with Peaks suggestions. Done those with our five year old and he was fine.

He also really enjoyed doing the walk up to Rydal cave from White Moss and up to Easedale Tarn from Grasmere recently. Both he viewed as a mini adventure which I think is important for them to enjoy it.

erictwinge
    Free Member

Hodge close to the Three Shires and back via Cathedral cavern is a good.

lacks elevation or any real vistas but kids loved the caves!

BadlyWiredDog

Alport Castles in the Peak is brilliant, though maybe not quite short enough. One of those slightly mad, improbable places that you don’t quite believe are where they are.

And in a similar vein, Ludds Church is another weird and wonderful natural feature that you can combine with a wander around the Roaches. Ooops, done already I see, +1 anyway. And for Chrome Hill / Parkhouse Hill.

Richie_B

Extra votes for anything round the Roaches/Ludds Church. Chrome Hill & Parkhouse Hill feels like a proper day out in the mountains, particularly if you approach the ridge from the top walking young the back of Hollins Hill from Hollingclough.

Kinder is fun, although it can be busy up Grindsbrook and down Golden Clough is a decent walk for young kids

Took our youngest two up Snowdon via the Watkin Path for the full mountain experience. It was well within their capability but trying to spot both of them (6 and an 8 year old) up the scrambly bits was a bit nerve racking (We came back down the south ridge which was loads easier).

We do measure walks in terms of the number of strops and complete meltdowns (Snowdon was a two strop + 1 meltdown but they all still talk about it two years later and all have Munro hit lists).

Richie_B

Epic = not short.

Not true with a six year old.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+1 Dolgellau/Mawddach Estuary , any number of stunning views on short approaches.

Minfordd to Llyn Cau
    Torrent Walk
    Precipice Walk
    Panorama Walk (above Barmouth)
    Abergwynant to Cregennan Lakes return via Arthog and the Mawddach Trail

martinhutch

I cajoled mine up Ingleborough and Pen y Ghent when they were six. It’s the perfect age – they’re physically capable but haven’t worked out that they can refuse point blank.

Plus you can still provide the occasional shoulder-carry when required.

I still fondly remember doing Great Gable when I was six or seven. You’re forming special (or utterly terrible) memories by taking them into the hills at that age. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Epic Short Walks’ is closed to new replies.