Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Epic Evo – real world experience?
  • Kryton57

Hi, looking hard at an Evo and would like to here from anyone that has raced one, or has some experience of pushing hard out of the saddle on climbs and how it performs.

My concerned is coming from a bike with a lockout (Scott Spark) and subsequently racing Marathons on one without.

Thanks.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’d imagine they’re pretty damn good, are you looking at the one with the brain, do they even come with a brain?

If not, on my Scarp I very rarely use the lock out as the pedalling platform is excellent and as the Epic has very similar looking suspension design I’d expect it too also pedals very well indeed.

splorer

I bought a Comp in February. I typically leave the suspension active all through the ride. It is a quiet bike that just gets on with it, which is what I wanted. It covers ground fast when out of the saddle, but I will state I have not raced it.

devash
    Free Member

I took one on an extended test ride when I was shopping for a “downcountry” bike and really liked it. Never ridden a Brain-equipped Epic before so have nothing to compare it with but it felt plenty fast enough without a lockout. I wasn’t looking for a bike to race though so if every bit of efficiency counts then the standard Epic might be what you need.

qwerty
    Free Member

I don’t have one, but I do have a Carbonda FM936 / Vitus Rapide FS with a 110mm fork so it’s kinda similar. With the rear suspension set up to my preference it climbs fine in active mode, for long road climbs on local rides I manually lock out the frame (which is a longer reach to get to than the Epic) and the fork. For marginal gains in XC racing / marathon racing I reckon you’d want remote lock out – it’ll be what most other people have and to stay competitive you’ll likely want it too. However, wasn’t there some online testing of riding with a FS with lockout V active and it showed little difference? I guess it also depends how near the podium you are as to how essential lock out is.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

OK, have one and love it but there is no Brain on the evo!

I have a comp before upgraditus turned it into sworks spec.

As standard it has lockout front and back butother than to try it once when I first got it have never used it.

Regularly race up hill and beat mate on ebike and no noticeable bob (to me at least but I’m no bike tester) the only thing, depending g on model you go for, to watch is the standard wheels are 2.2kg!

Best bike I’ve ever had.

If I can help any more drop me a message.

James

qwerty
    Free Member

the standard wheels are 2.2kg!

Which will likely explain why a guy I know promptly put a set of DTSwiss carbon wheels on his SLX spec Epic Evo.

Stiggy

I have one (Expert spec), it does bob a bit so I use the lockout on longer climbs, I could probably set it up stiffer but it feels great on descents. Rode the Ardrock on it and had no problems. I had an Epic a couple of years ago but I didn’t like the feel of the Brain.

Kryton57

Thanks for the feedback. I also watch a couple of video reviews today and particularly the Pinkbike review with the words “the XC racers trail bike” echos my needs exactly – something I can enjoy the South East trails on but also race in a Marathon.

Cheers!

continuity
    Free Member

Could always just covert both fork and shock to lockout – like the sponsored spec riders in the WC do (cos brain is shit)

shredder
    Free Member

I have a Comp now turned into SWorks and some build. DT Swiss/240 carbon wheel’s, full XTR , Enve bars etc. Even found the carbon shock yoke that comes on the SWorks version.

It’s a superb bike picks up speed so quickly, but also quite happy with a bit of tech/rough just pick your line. Mine is sub 23lbs now easily and fly’s uphill.

Originally had a Spur frame on order but this presented itself at the beginning of the year. Don’t regret the choice at all and probably more of a all rounder than the Spur.

Think of it as a really light short travel trail bike.

Would post pic’s but not sure how anymore!

tails
    Free Member

Would love one but a bit spendy!

On Instagram there are lots of short videos they really appear to take a beating. Some people put pikes and bigger shocks on. I’m sure it has rooting for a lockout cable.

shredder
    Free Member

Yes has the routing/exit port for a lockout cable.

Mine has SID Ultimate’s 120mm which is exceptional for it’s travel and weight.

susepic

Have a 2020 comp, which has the Brain, so not sure if feedback on that is useful. With the brain dialled to firm there is almost no bob climbing. Great on the south downs, for me it’s the perfect bike for shorter loops or longer all day outings. Rapid both up and down. I mostly keep up with hardtails on the ups, and the trail bikes on the downs.

You could buy an epic, and put some 120 forks on it… …

Kryton57

You could buy an epic, and put some 120 forks on it… …

I’m the type of person that the Brain knock would drive me mad. I need a quiet bike that just does things. An Epic Evo purchase is on hold December earliest and probably 2023 TBH.

The other much cheaper option I’m looking at is buying a SID 110/120mm 35mm stanchion fork for my Spark which should offer a similar effect as buying an Evo, although I’d lose the remote lockout – not sure if the Sid can be wired into the Spark lockout lever 2018 MY. It also rectifys the perceived weak point of my bike – a slight flexy front end with the Fox 32mm.

35mm SIDS seem to be unicorns though!

skellnonch
    Free Member

I have a 2020 one (with brain), it’s aluminium, has a basic Reba 120 upfront, but some nice carbon wheels.

Done lots of races on it, the relatively cheap fork and aluminium frame mean its no light weight, but the thing flies, whole lot better than the previous (non evo) incarnation which I never really gelled with.

I’m treating it to so SIDS next year.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

Watch out for the reviews and comments on the Epic versus Epic Evo as two different bikes in terms of focus and set up 🙂

I nearly passed on one after reading Epic reviews (has brain) and 100m travel whereas Epic Evo has 120mmm front and IIRC 117mm rear and no brain 🙂

James

slowboydickie

I bought a Comp 2021. Specialized should be ashamed with the level of kit they spec on a £4000 bike. Wheels weighed 2100g, 590g cassette, SLX 4-pots, alloy bars.

I converted mine to remote fork and shock using the 120mm Ultimate SID and Ultimate deluxe shock. With 1300g Newmen SL carbon wheels, Garbaruk cassette, Enve bar, ESI chunky grips, Ti saddle and better tyres it has ended up being a 25lb rocket ship that handles well on steep, twisting trails as well as sub 9-hour SDW crossings.

Love it.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Hey I’ve got one of these. I think it’s absolutely fantastic but I know bugger all about modern bikes (it’s my first FS MTB, excluding the tandems) so my opinion is pretty much worthless. I bought it partly because it was the only bike in the shop in my size, but it was exactly the sort of bike I was looking for. I haven’t regretted it for a minute.

I use the lockout for some longer climbs/road when I remember, and it seems to work fine. It goes like shit off a shovel when I dare to pedal hard.

Kuco

Specialized seems to have put the price up on them by £250. Was looking at them on C2W scheme but maybe next year.

Crikey I’m glad I got my Chisel last month as that’s gone up £200.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

What about putting a bigger fork on your Spark? I’ve put a 130mm Fox 34 on my Topfuel and its flippin brilliant! Much more fun than with the stock 100mm.

Kryton57

What about putting a bigger fork on your Spark? I’ve put a 130mm Fox 34 on my Topfuel and its flippin brilliant! Much more fun than with the stock 100mm.

See above – I have found a SID Race Day 120mm / 35mm in a euro-store, the total cost should be circa £720. Just thinking on it because I need to understand offset.

It’d put the HA at 67 and lengthen the bike by 5mm, enough to give some extra stability.

DanW
    Free Member

@kryton57 I believe the consensus on fork offset is to choose the shorter option (eg 44mm) unless you know the frame was designed around longer.

Kryton57

Thanks Dan W -mI’ve discovered my current fork – Fox 32 SC 100m is also 44mm so I am all good.

Just need to get to grips with whether I want to spend £720 during these heady times! Still, it’ll save me £5340 😀

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I think I saw on the mtbr forum that there were a lot of warranty issues with that fork. Be careful.

Kryton57

Thanks – I googled it – premature bushing wear and damper failure looks to be a common thing.

Sigh, never easy is it? After a ponder whilst on the turbo I’ll leave the OEM Fork on and save the cash, its been through TFT twice which gives me confidence of longevity anyway.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.