Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Epic Day rides that are not as epic as SDW!
  • timblake7

So some mates are doing the SDW 100 miles in a day effort. Its probably quite a bit beyond me. Anyone got ideas for other epic day rides in England, 50-70 miles long?

bikebouy
    Free Member

London-Brighton off-road route?

martinhutch

There are stacks around here. I do the Pennine Bridleway across the Dales from Skipton to Kirkby Stephen (returning via train) a couple of times a year – 60 miles or so, about 6500ft ascent.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nedrapier

I’ve got a good 70 miles Tour des Surrey Hills if you’re interested?  Guildford, North downs, Shere, Winterfold, Pitch, Peaslake, Holmbury, Leith, Summer Lightning, Leith, Holmbury, Pitch Winterfold, Gibbet, Punchbowl, Thursley Common Puttenham, Nrth Downs way back to Guildford. Bail-able from Gibbet Hill to Haslemere if you want to call it a day at 50 miles and half an SDW of climbing.

qwerty
    Free Member

What about a doorstep epic? Head out the door and ride as many local trails as you possibly can.

theotherjonv

SDW but join at QE country park and bail somewhere above Brighton – about the right distance and you can be enjoying a pint while they struggle on.

mattbee

As above. Peel off at either Devils Dyke or Ditchling Beacon depending on your legs and head to Brighton.

tnrbilly
    Free Member

Doorstep epic is a great idea – we’ve stitched together a route that takes in every single one of our favourite local trails. Added up to a pretty full days riding, plus it was interesting working out how the hell to juggle them all into one route.

corroded
    Free Member

SDW but join at QE country park and bail somewhere above Brighton

This is a good call – easy to get a train to Petersfield and ride from the station if you don’t live in the area. Plus it’s the best stretch of the SDW.

nedrapier

Just checked: mine is 65miles back to Guildford. 50 Haslemere. PM me you email if you want the GPX.

As above though, unless you’re significantly slower than your mates (they’ll need to keep moving if they’re riding the whole thing a day), start with them and see how long you can hang on for – you might surprise yourself.  I did when I did it the first time.

There are regular train stations you can bail to, from Amberley, just short of 50 miles.  After that you can head south at any point and find the nearest station – regular intervals

nedrapier

Plus it was interesting working out how the hell to juggle them all into one route.

I’ve been wrestling with this for a little while. There’s quite a few things to go at in every direction, though.  Tricky to know where to draw the line!

theotherjonv

even more this

start with them and see how long you can hang on for – you might surprise yourself.

From here:

https://roadcyclinguk.com/rides-travel/sportive/thirty-inspirational-cycling-quotes-to-get-you-riding/

“The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it” – Doug Bradbury

worth reading just for Desmond Tutu’s input!!

nedrapier

cheers for that, jon!  Des’s is good!  There’s a lot in there on pain/suffering, but I really liked this one:

“You either love spinning the pedals and watching scenery whiz by, or you don’t. And if you love it, not much can sour you on the idea of riding your bike.” Keith Mills

timblake7

thanks all, I like the NDW idea and had also thought about aiming for 75 miles of the SDW, bailing out around Brighton. Also like the positive approach of going along and seeing how far I can get!

Keep em coming!

nixie

Depending which way they are going you can get the train to Arundel and join them back to Winchester.

burko73

Shipwrights way. Farnham to Portsmouth mostly off Rd. 50 miles or so.

avdave2

easy to get a train to Petersfield and ride from the station if you don’t live in the area. Plus it’s the best stretch of the SDW.

The SDW used to end ear Petersfield and I’m not really sure the extension added anything much other than finishing somewhere of note rather than at a farm. Devils Dyke to Eastbourne and back is a good ride with some decent climbing and I think the best part of the SDW.

oldnpastit

I think you might surprise yourself. One way is hard but not impossible for someone of reasonable fitness. Get a few big miles in and see what happens.

SDW in October might be a quagmire anyway, in which case they’ll have to find something else….

nedrapier

October’s only two weeks away!  Barely any mud round me, SDW must be similar.

mattbee

Original SDW start/finish was South Harting. It’s only 7 miles from QE which is easier to get to and has better & more secure parking facilities. The Western end of the SDW is certainly in great shape currently.

dovebiker

Shipwright’s Way from Farnham / Bentley to QECP, SDW to Winchester and Oxdrove / various tracks / Basingstoke Canal/bridleways back to start – 140km, not as hilly and cafe at QECP / 24 hr Tesco in Winchester. Good ride on a CX / gravel bike. 140km

Link up the Shipwright’s Way with the Haslemere Loop mtb route (google it) and back via Thursley Common / Puttenham Common / Northdowns Way – 100km-ish

johnnystorm

Epic is of course a relative term…..

Peddars way in both directions is 100 miles and good fun. Plenty of historical/pre-historical stuff to see if you are paying attention. It is a (pre) Roman road after all.

The Peddars Way

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve got a good 70 miles Tour des Surrey Hills if you’re interested?  Guildford, North downs, Shere, Winterfold, Pitch, Peaslake, Holmbury, Leith, Summer Lightning, Leith, Holmbury, Pitch Winterfold, Gibbet, Punchbowl, Thursley Common Puttenham, Nrth Downs way back to Guildford. Bail-able from Gibbet Hill to Haslemere if you want to call it a day at 50 miles and half an SDW of climbing.

Do you have a GPX file for that? I wouldn’t mind a copy if you do as it sounds like a pretty good route!

nedrapier

yup, PM me your email address, or email me (mine’s in profile) and I’ll send it over.

mccraque

I live near the SDW (Brighton area) but quite often take the train to Dorking, then cycle Leith Hill, Holmbury and Pitch before shooting over to Cranleigh and picking up  the Downslink. From there I can either bale north of the downs or, if feeling energetic, climb Truleigh Hill and head over to Ditchling Beacon. Ranges from 50-70 miles depending on route.

Last year we started at Redhill, rode across to Dorking on the North Downs, and then did the route above from there.

I used those rides as training in the build up to the SDW 100.

singletrackmind

Dont attempt the SDW   ths weekeend as  Eastbourne railway station is closed , so you would have to ride   back about 15 miles  to Lewes to get back to Winch on the same day , with some bastid hills  in the way

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Epic Day rides that are not as epic as SDW!’ is closed to new replies.