Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Epic Cymru Cancelled
  • DFaffMaster

Couldn’t do it this year as clashed with the Manx 100. Was very impressed with the event last year a real shame to see it go especially as Matt had promised proper coffee this year.

Fond memories hope to see it return in the future.

chum3
    Free Member

Totally gutted. Was going to be the main event of the year for me…

m0rk
    Free Member

What was the reason?

Sounds like it’s not coming back sadly

mrlebowski
    Free Member

What a shame – I was planning on doing this..

kristoff
    Free Member

Great shame, hope it can return.

postierich
    Free Member

These boys need some entries
    http://lakesmtbepic.com/enter.html
    only 5 so far

mrlebowski
    Free Member

May have to be!

plecostomus
    Free Member

Personally I Can’t see how anybody would do these events a fair old chunk of money to ride in the uk, I’ve done the equivalent races abroad and the main reason for doing so is that it’s abroad!

legspin
    Free Member

ahhh rubbish I was looking forward to it 🙁

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’ve done the equivalent races abroad and the main reason for doing so is that it’s abroad!

Post em up! Share the knowledge… 😉

Northwind

What a bummer- turned out to be not my sort of thing but it seemed a great addition to the calendar and a pretty succesful first year.

nickc

When us that translakes event happening postie?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Here’s a thought:

It seems obvious that stage races in the UK struggle to survive more than a year or two. Is it because they try to run them on an annual basis where it might be better to run them every two years or so? Can the UK MTB race scene support three events like the Trans Lakes, Epic Cymru & Ard RocK? Would it be better to have a one race in one place one year & then switch to another venue the next? Maybe just let the other race take precedence each year? Take it in turns as it were?

I only ask as this is the second stage race in recent years that looks like it’s gone to the wall. The other being The Bearded Man 3 day race in Brecon – which I did both years & was brilliant..

iomnigel
    Free Member

Very sad that the event has been cancelled, lets hope its back for 2017.

There is an event on the same weekend, if you fancy something different, but still tough.

The Manx 100 – 100 miles or 100 km (16,000 feet, or 3500m) event on the Sunday 31st July.

http://www.manx100.com

mlke
    Free Member

The lakes epic looks great but £550 is a lot of dosh.

kuman
    Free Member

If climbing is your thing, this is one in Poland looks ace http://www.mtbtrophy.com/
    Definitely tough one, more than 10000m of climbing over 4 stages. I want to do it one year, when I’m fit enough to.

fisherboy
    Free Member

Sad news. I really enjoyed this event last year. Matt put on a great event and well organised. I’ m guessing that it just hasnt sold this year.

Seems to me that stage events just dont sell in the uk. History is literred with great event that have just not taken off in a commercial sense. Ultimately the organiser needs to cover their costs at the absolute least.

hopkinsgm

Disappointed it’s not going ahead – I entered in a fit of enthusiasm and after spending a couple of weeks crapping myself about what I’d just signed up for was coming round to the idea again. When I mentioned the event to some friends in my MTB club, a coupe of folk baulked at the price, and there’s no denying that it’s a chunk of money to spend in one hit. But compared to the cost of doing five one day events, once you add in travel, camping, parking, food and drink there probably isn’t a whole lot of difference.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But compared to the cost of doing five one day events, once you add in travel, camping, parking, food and drink there probably isn’t a whole lot of difference.

Cost vs Value 😉

I’ve done a few multiday races, most have been local and really well run. It’s a great challenge but as people say they cost a lot – this is mostly due to the costs of running the event. For me it’s a completely different challenge to get up and hit the trails again each day, the variety of stages and the fact that you could be doing sprint laps or 50km epics mean it’s a real riders event.
    If you get the atmosphere right the the evenings are just an extension of the race with everyone camping together etc.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Epic Cymru Cancelled’ is closed to new replies.