Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • epic 29er v stumpjumper 29er
  • chris-p
    Free Member

I wonder if anyone could advise, looking at epic comp or expert 29er v stumpjumper expert 29er. No one seems to know exact weights. I took an epic comp medium out which felt a wee bit heavy on climbs, are there any abvious ways to bring down weight ? the medium was a bit small and i am thinking large 6′ 1″ and 34 ” inside leg. i do a bit of racing, days out etc.
    thanks

bol

The Stumpy is a pretty big bike for xc. I’d go with the Epic if climbing and racing are towards the top of your preference list.

chris-p
    Free Member

I was thinking Stumpy hardtail. Any idea of weight on Epic ?

bigad40
    Free Member

Test ride the Camber 29er!

Taff
    Free Member

Ridden both in 26 versions and now own the epic. It’s a nicer bike for the riding I do. I e had a look at the heavy items on my epic with the obvious being the wheels. They’re being changed tomorrow. Next is the cassette, got a slx on at the moment but a xt cassette saves over 100g. Hoping mine will feel a little lighter on the rear end after that. Rest of the components seem fine really and I probably would t notice any difference

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Think the epic is around 27/28lbs in comp form, saw a review recently, will try and dig it up for you.

Looked at these bikes recently and both are very nice, Spesh stuff is real quality in the flesh and none of the components appear to be cheap crap. The carbon frame on the Stumpy is a particularly lovely piece of engineering.

Taff
    Free Member

The elite is 26lb6 so presume thee comp is no heavier than 28lbs

amt27
    Free Member

Just bought an Epic Comp Carbon 29er, awesome bike, but a good 2lbs heavier than my previous Epic 26er alloy, mainly due to the heavy wheels,

I have put some Spec Purgatory tyres on it for general riding and it reminds me of my 2010 SJ FSR, great fun and quick,

it will have to go on a diet though for more competitive riding,

chris-p
    Free Member

how tall are you amt27 and what frame did you go for ? Will new wheels bring it down to 25lb ? i did feel the weight on climbs hence thinking about the stumpjumper hardtail or losing bike weight .

amt27
    Free Member

5-10, I went for a medium, yeah new wheels should bring it down, I haven’t weighed them but I suspect they are over 2kg, heard elsewhere they might even be 2.2kg, then you get the usual low spec’d kit on Specialized bikes which weigh it down, cassette etc

this bike climbs amazingly over rough stuff, knocked 40 mins off my 55 mile training loop last weekend in the FoD, could say it was also down to super dry conditions, even though I’m happy

chris-p
    Free Member

What wheels are you thinking amt, stan’s ? If i could get it to sub 25lb it would then be a great race bike. Were you thinking seat post, stem and bars ?

stufield
    Free Member

I test rode epic carbon comp was fab, but wanted bolt through forks so went for a rumble fish.
    rocky mountain element looks a good spec though and the Norcos get good reviews and have FSR rear end.

valley
    Free Member

I’v got a Stumpy Expert lovely bike climbs really well, light & good kit its a medium saw a claimed 23lb for a Large ?? havent weighed mines yet , iv got a 26er Epic but decided to go Hardtail again 😀

chris-p
    Free Member

Thanks valley. Do you miss the rear suspension going back to hardtail ? do you miss the epic out on the trail or does a 29er hardtail feel right.

valley
    Free Member

Hi Chris not missing the epic on the trail, did 58 miles on it today soaks up the bumps well , iv still got my Epic but not sure if i’ll use it very much, my first run on the Stumpy was thru rooty muddy forest & it felt great straight away well chuffed with it 😆

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Just over 24 lb for the SJ and 28 for the Epic Carbon Comp . As has been said already you can save well over 1lb in weight by swapping the wheels . American Classics are great value and quality IME . £500 for the 29er Tubeless which weigh 1600 grammes or £600 for the race which weigh a whisker over 1400 grammes which is seriously light for a pair of 29er wheels .

amt27
    Free Member

Not done a lot of research, stans are the obvious choice but I am worried about flex, wasn’t impressed with Stans Crest/Hope wheels on my 26er,

are the Am Classic Race wheels available in the UK? cannot see them advertised anywhere, also heard the rims are like butter if you dink them,

money no object guys on MTBR are going for Spec Roval Carbons,

bol

The ally Rovals are worth a look for less than half the price of the carbon ones, and only a few extra grams. They use Dt 240 internals. Crests on 240s is what I use, and with the 36 pawl ratchet upgrade they’re great. No flex problems either.

Taff
    Free Member

Well just changed the stock wheels for some black flag pros so I could go tubeless… No real weight saving! Typical. : 🙄

amt27
    Free Member

just weighed up the wheels on my Epic Carbon Comp 29er, 2130g approximately, which is pretty hefty and a little disappointing for a £3k “race” bike,

probably going for some Am Classic Race 29ers for race days,

redfordrider
    Free Member

2130g !? With tyres surely? I’ve been using Stan’s Gold 29ers 1345g without tyres – no problems yet. Look at Just Riding Along for light wheels.

amt27
    Free Member

2130g !? With tyres surely?

nope all on their own, even deducted the QRs and rotor weights, as I left them on,

Stan’s Gold 29ers

are you running these tubeless? read somewhere they will not seat TR or UST tyres,

Taff
    Free Member

1345g without tyres?! My black flags weigh 1600 and they’re 26″. My specialized ones that I took off are in the 2000g category

TexWade
    Free Member

Useful article here with weights for 2012 Spesh range.

2012 Specialized Actual Weights – Mountain Bikes and 29ers

redfordrider
    Free Member

amt27 and taff – Yes, 1345g. Rocket Ron + Racing Ralph + XTR 11-34 + Stan’s strips/valves/latex = 3,180g

I’ve had no problems with Schwalbe TR tyres or Stan’s Raven and Crows. Great wheelset. I’ve using them for about 9 mths incl 3 weeks solid riding in South Africa last December. They’ve not required truing at all. I’m 70kg and ride XC. In fact I did GT’s spooky wood and super g fives times this morning on them.

ZTR Crests are about 1575g. They go for about £375 when they are in stock. Hope Hoops/Crests are about 1800g.

Taff
    Free Member

I was really surprised at the weight saving that could be had from merely changing the cassette. My wheels have saved about 3-400g but if I were to change the cassette I could save 100g just by changing to xt!

redfordrider
    Free Member

I reckon it costs about £1 to save 1g. Based on that assumption cassettes are a good place to save weight. SLX are reasonably light, but often not much cheaper than XT.

redfordrider
    Free Member

Oh, and tyres can make a big difference.

chris-p
    Free Member

Hi Valley, I now have the chance of building up a stumpjumper expert 29 er or an epic expert. After riding full suss for 3 years ( anthem x ) i wondered if i would be ok going back to a hardtail as you have. Are you now missing your epic on say bumpy terrain or is the hardtail fine ? Is the spec on the bike ok or would you change anything ?

pingu66
    Free Member

Epic Expert Carbon in medium about 25lbs out the box. Go tubless and new wheels you can knock a good pound off that. Some have got them in the 23lb bracket.

The stumpy hardtail is about 24lb, I chose the Epic as its a litlle more comfortable with some suspension.

The Stumpy FS completely different bike. Not sure of the weights but I rode them both and the Epic is rapid.

Found the Camber to be a confused bike. Nice but neither one thing or the other.

My Epic medium is OK for me and I am 6ft, specialized recommend a large but I felt too stretch on it so went for the medium and coudnt be happier, unless I could have afforded the S Works. I managed a 20% discount on a 2012 model from my lbs so ripped his arm off for the deal.

chris-p
    Free Member

Sub 25lb is what i am looking to achieve for racing and fun, which seems possible on both bikes. I have test ridden the Epic Comp and like it although a wee bit heavy, hence interest in Expert. I can’t find a Stumpjumper HT to try but I am sure it’s fast just unsure about losing rear suspension. pingu66 you seem to have a good lbs to give you 20%, do they have any in large !

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘epic 29er v stumpjumper 29er’ is closed to new replies.