Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Entertaining live bands
  • johnnymarone
    Free Member

Give us some suggestions for entertaining, soul-lifting live bands to go watch. The past 2 years have been shite, and this year has been the worst for me, and I’m going to make more of an effort to get out and about gig-wise.

I’ll go first: i’ve just come back from seeing Elvana in Swansea. Havent felt so happy in ages, properly lifted my mood.

No shoe gazing bands, please, just bands which engage with the crowd and lift spirits.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Feet!
    Saw them a couple of years ago. Crazy!

Cougar

Feet

I hear they’re legends.

CountZero

Sleeper.

Saw them at Bristol O2 Academy on Thursday, on their ’The It Girl’ 25th Anniversary tour, and they were absolutely on top form. Saw them at The Fleece & Firkin as it was twenty five years ago, and with two extra members in the band, they’re as entertaining now as they were back then, actually better, with keys and a second guitarist, the sound is fuller.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Went to see Feeder at the Manchester Academy last night, absolutely mega.

jeffl

Alabama 3 have been great whenever I’ve seen them.

Northwind

Not very practical but the Hold Steady are always incredible live. Craig Finn’s touring soon but the non-THS stuff tends to be a bit, well, flatter, more depressing.

Frank Turner, if you can get over/into the cultishness, is great live. Seen him a lot of times and it’s only occasionally been less than brilliant, he’s touring again soon.

This one’s a dodgy recommend because I’ve not actually seen them live yet, because of covid, but I’m expecting awesomeness- Brass Against, the metal brass band covers guys. Yes, the “pissed on a fan’s face” woman, but, I promise I had tickets before that.

bigblackshed

I’ve never been to a bad Thunder gig. Always good energy, always feels like a party.

kennyp
    Free Member

I’m not a massive fan of all their music, but live the Bare Naked Ladies are brilliant. They have great fun on stage and lots of god banter between songs. And stuff tailored to each particular venue as well.

They are touring Britain at the moment. Their support (Boothby Graffoe) is superb too, though he can be a bit of an acquired taste.

kennyp
    Free Member

I’ve only seen them as a support act, but Crapsons are amazing live. Nice guys too.

cheese@4p

Buzzcocks (well one of them) were good last night. Not everybodies cup of tea admittedly but there were loads of young uns there, many with mums & dads.

Kryton57

Yellowhouse are very good, rock covers.

TheWrongTrousers

Saw From The Jam supported by The Selecter back end of last year, both were brilliant.
    And Jools Holland is doing the rounds at the moment, if it’s audience involvement and party atmos you’re after

theotherjonv

As I always say at these threads, Wheatus. Not touring UK currently but suspect will be later in the year or next.

stevie750

Off!
    Saw them a few years ago at King tuts.
    Just brilliant gig at a great venue

wordnumb
    Free Member

GWAR are touring currently.

elsketcho
    Free Member

The Flaming Lips always do an amazing gig

b33k34

Ezra Furman. Touring later in the year (London gig is at the Roundhouse).

Likewise The Burning Hell – hopefully playing Bush Hall after the summer (and a load of cancelled/cut short tours in the last 2 years)

dirtyboy

Idles/McClusky

LeeW

The Hives are in Derby this month, they’re ace live

kayak23

Joe Cocker.
    Really hoping he’s touring again this year.

steezysix
    Free Member

Last year I saw Alestorm (pirate metal) and Bootyard bandits (country metal) at the same show, one of the most fun gigs I’ve ever been too!

i’ve just come back from seeing Elvana in Swansea

They are playing at my local festival (Y-Not) in July, can’t wait to see them

Sleeper.

Louise still looking fit tbf

desperatebicycle

On tour soon and most uplifting band I have ever seen (about 5 times) is !!! (aka Chk Chk Chk)
    They are awesome.

(Seeing **** Sleeper with CountZero taking his shit photos in front of me would be the most depressing thing ever!)

Saw Wet Leg the other day (as on the Gigs thread) and they are a pretty uplifting experience.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

I’m not into chin stroking, real ale pint holding head nodding music, I need a bit of entertainment

edit, you basically get that level of silliness with their live show

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The Proclaimers, preferably in Scotland somewhere. Not my usual choice but went along and it was bouncing, literally. If you could catch them at the Barras it would be awesome.

richardkennerley

If you don’t mind a bit of Brit pop, then you can’t fail to come out of a shed 7 gig with a smile on your face

scuttler

Lancashire Hotpots (only semi-joking)

I’d say preferably in Lancashire but not sure they’ve ever been anywhere else.

llama

Yes, henge are a laugh, as are flaming lips

I’ll add Anna Meredith

jamesoz

GWAR are touring currently

‘There’s nothing like hippie hunting’

Saw them in the early nineties? Took ages to get the fake blood out of my hair. Being blonde, it looked a bit like I’d dyed my hair pink.

stick_man

Feet

I hear they’re legends.

Did this get the credit it deserves?

jamj1974

The Hives +1. Always a great very positive vibe.

militantmandy
    Free Member

Clutch!

jet26
    Free Member

James. Absolutely brilliant live, especially open air gigs.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Feet

I hear they’re legends.

Did this get the credit it deserves?

No, it was trodden on.

fatoldgit

+ 1 for Alabama 3 … always a great night even after the passing of the Reverend

Another great night is Holy Moly and The Crackers,

And you won’t need a mortgage to see either

MrOvershoot

militantmandy

Clutch!

That was going to be my answer yesterday though they won’t be playing near to the OP till December.13th

http://www.pro-rock.com/index.cfm?page=Tour

AD

Post Modern Jukebox – Watched them last night at the Usher Hall.

Properly entertaining evening – stunning singers and a band who can properly play!

Also first time I’ve been to a gig where the drummer does a tap dancing solo… 🤣

mogrim

Not the Sisters of Mercy, if Saturday’s gig (here in Madrid) was anything to go by. The band might have been great, but the sound was so dismal it sucked all the life out of it. Apparently they were shit in Barcelona yesterday, too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.